Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    996tt

Looking at S3s, how can I tell what packages it has?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys,

I am trading in my S4 because its a huge PITA with its DSG issues. I am looking at S3s. I want lighter, more nimble, and a smaller car. I loved my B5s and B6s. S3 seems like a great move!

Anyways... How can I tell what Packages each car has? I know there are the following:

Tech Package - Any way to tell from pics?
    Sport Package - Mag ride and red brake calipers?
    Black Optics - Dead give away, blacked grill and body color mirrors! I plan on changing the grill and have the mirrors and roof wrapped black so this doesnt make a difference to me! I do like the flower pedal wheels though! Those are super nice looking!
    Super Sport Seats - Also a easy give away as the seats look way different.

Anything i miss?

Thanks!
    Garage:
    04 996tt, 06 Boxster S, 88 911 targa, 96 911 Convertible, 10 B8 S4

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Gberg888 View Post
    Hey guys,

I am trading in my S4 because its a huge PITA with its DSG issues. I am looking at S3s. I want lighter, more nimble, and a smaller car. I loved my B5s and B6s. S3 seems like a great move!

Anyways... How can I tell what Packages each car has? I know there are the following:

Black Optics - Dead give away, blacked grill and body color mirrors! I plan on changing the grill and have the mirrors and roof wrapped black so this doesnt make a difference to me! I do like the flower pedal wheels though! Those are super nice looking!

Anything i miss?

Thanks!
    What year? For 17/18, an easy way to tell the Tech package is the absent of any actual analog gauges (virtual cockpit - just a blank black screen when the car is off) and it should have "Bang & Olufsen" marking on the front door speakers. The other packages are pretty easy to spot as you've indicated
    2018 Audi S3 Premium Plus
    Navarra Blue Metallic/Magma Red - Technology, Dynamic, S Sport, Black Optic, Resonator Delete

AZ Member #

Post a link. Also if you have a vin, Audi dealer should be able to tell what packages it has. It might be able to pull the actual window sticker.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
    What year? For 17/18, an easy way to tell the Tech package is the absent of any actual analog gauges (virtual cockpit - just a blank black screen when the car is off) and it should have "Bang & Olufsen" marking on the front door speakers. The other packages are pretty easy to spot as you've indicated
    17's Tech Package doesn't come with Bang & Olufsen speakers afaik

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Hey guys,

Anything i miss?

Thanks!
    Black Optics is cool, but the wheels weigh ~27 pounds a piece and are not ideal. Not sure why they are so heavy. Dynamic package on a '17 is probably a better option. I think they have way lighter wheels and still have mag ride.

The options for each year seems to be all over the board so you will have to research what came in each package each year.

Seems like anything that isn't a '17-18 has a tendency for haldex issues. See the thread for more info. I stayed away from them in my search. I believe the awd system got more rear bias in 17-18 as well.

AZ Member #

LED Lighting Package would have the cup holder rings for 15/16, Prestige 17, and all 18.

Forum Moderator Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Hey guys,

I do like the flower pedal wheels though! Those are super nice looking!
    These? Definitely like these better than the Black Optic wheels.
    B5S4/A3S3RS3/Hawaii Forum Moderator - PM Comments/Concerns

00 Laser Red S4
    VAST Performance | BLOUCH | AWE | EvolutionRacewerks | Volk Racing | Vogtland | STaSIS/Alcon | JHM Motorsports | RS4 OEM

18 Daytona Gray Pearl S3
    Stock Daily

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse S. View Post
    These? Definitely like these better than the Black Optic wheels.
    Much lighter and forged.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dtabn View Post
    17's Tech Package doesn't come with Bang & Olufsen speakers afaik
    Correct. it was a stand alone option for 2017.
    '17 Daytona Grey S3
    Premium +, Dynamic Package, Tech Package, Sport Seats, B&O

Active Member Two Rings normcaldwell's Avatar
    AZ Member #

FWIW, my Black Optics wheels weigh around 20 lbs. each, not 27 lbs.
    The Flower and Black Optics wheels are priced at around $700 each; so, forged type pricing for both.

Good luck on your search OP.
    The S3 is a really fun car to drive, and certain modifications make it even more fun to drive.
    2016 Audi S3, Misano Red Pearl Effect, Prestige, Black Optic, S Sport Seats.
    UM ECM, DSG, Haldex files, APR intercooler & silicone hoses, 034 dynamic camber mounts, 034 rear sway and end links.

Established Member Two Rings Why-man5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by normcaldwell View Post
    The Flower and Black Optics wheels are priced at around $700 each; so, forged type pricing for both.
    Yeah I thought 27 lbs. seemed a bit high...personally I like the black optics wheels the best out of all the OEM options...

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Good luck on your search OP.
    The S3 is a really fun car to drive, and certain modifications make it even more fun to drive.
    You mean these wheels?

AZ Member #

You mean these wheels?
    They look like that, but they don't weigh 27 lbs.
    Either that scale has a calibration issue, or the wheel is not OE, or something.
    UM ECM, DSG, Haldex files, APR intercooler & silicone hoses, 034 dynamic camber mounts, 034 rear sway and end links.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

They look like that, but they don't weigh 27 lbs.
    Either that scale has a calibration issue, or the wheel is not OE, or something.
    https://www.original-felgen.com/8v0601025fe8auk80.html

German site with OE wheel listings say about 11.8 KG which is ~26 lbs. I checked model numbers to make sure it matches my wheels, as my wheels are off atm because I put winter wheels/tires on.

The other wheels are forged by Otto Fuchs and are 9.7 KG or ~21.3 lbs.

https://www.fuchsfelge.com/en/wheel-...wheel-285.html

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Hey guys,

Anything i miss?

Thanks!
    Tech is basically Navigation & VC. The fully digital screen in front of the steering wheel is how you can tell it has this package. Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-N950U using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    996tt

You mean these wheels?

Yes those wheels.
    Garage:

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    996tt

Either way, carmax offered me peanuts for my S4 so I will not be getting into the S3 game right now.

I am still in love with them and if i could do it again I would have not bought the S4 and gone with the S3 to begin with, but alas i did not. Now I have a DSG issue to fix, not the easy mech unit either, and I am also losing coolant, but phantom coolant disappearing act by an S4 is common place. I may have to replace the intercoolers in the SC which is a PITA.
    Garage:

AZ Member #

Don't diss the S4. I traded my 2012 S4 for my 2018 S3. Sometimes I miss the S4. It was a bit more comfortable and that instant torque was pretty badass. It sounds a lot better too. Having a better AWD system is a plus also. DSG is easy to fix. Had done it twice in my brother's 2011 S4 and his 2008 A3.

AZ Member #

https://www.original-felgen.com/8v0601025fe8auk80.html

German site with OE wheel listings say about 11.8 KG which is ~26 lbs. I checked model numbers to make sure it matches my wheels, as my wheels are off atm because I put winter wheels/tires on.

The other wheels are forged by Otto Fuchs and are 9.7 KG or ~21.3 lbs.

https://www.fuchsfelge.com/en/wheel-...wheel-285.html
    Thanks for these links.
    And, I sit corrected . . . lol.
    My stockers are currently dismounted, so I took one and weighed it. 47 lbs, and that's with the 235/35/19 Conti 5P.
    According to Tire Rack, the 5P is 21-22 lbs; leaving 25-26 lbs for the wheel. Much closer to 27 than 20!

I never liked the width and offset of the stockers anyway, so this just confirms my switch to lighter aftermarket wheels will continue to happen.

OP, best with the S4 issue.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thanks for these links.
    And, I sit corrected . . . lol.
    My stockers are currently dismounted, so I took one and weighed it. 47 lbs, and that's with the 235/35/19 Conti 5P.
    According to Tire Rack, the 5P is 21-22 lbs; leaving 25-26 lbs for the wheel. Much closer to 27 than 20!

I never liked the width and offset of the stockers anyway, so this just confirms my switch to lighter aftermarket wheels will continue to happen.

OP, best with the S4 issue.
    Trust me, I'm not happy that these wheels are heavy either as I own them as well. Considering the price is the same as OEM forged wheels that are 5-6 lbs lighter a piece.