Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Pesky Crankshaft Bolt

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Im trying to replace the oil pump chain tensioner on my 1.8t. In order to get to it, I have to remove the crank bolt. I've been attempting it over the weekend to no avail. Because of the vehicles current state, I'm unable to do the starter trick. I have soaked the bolt in PB Blaster, heated it up with a torch, soaked it in WD40, and went at it with a 450 ft lb impact.. Im stumped. If any one is able to give me some info, that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1988 Merkur XR4Ti, 1986 911 Coupe, 1991 Alfa Romeo 164

I bought one of these a few years back and don't regret the decision at all...
    https://boltbusterinc.com/
    Brad 2002 Quattro 1.8T w/ 2.8 B5 5-speed

Senior Member Three Rings 2004a4b630QT's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '04 A4 3.0 QTip

I think you need a high torque for this. Something in the 1K ft lb range in an air tool or something like the Milwaukee 2767 with thick wall socket like a lisle.

Veteran Member Four Rings A4SoftWalker's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Avant 03A4 1.8TQMS, 05V70R, BMW535i

Just need a long enough breaker bar and a thick-walled socket. I've cracked sockets and even more dangerous a ratchet wrench using an extension-pipe on a regular wrench. The flying pieces are VERY dangerous.

Extension pipe on a breaker bar is less likely to fail but as with all things proceed with caution and within your own limits and experience.
    'SOFTWALKER MODS
    Do U have a Bentley/Dealer Manual & Tools to work on UR car properly?
    Hit-or-miss expecting manna to fall from AZ?
    Personal Motto>Walk Softly Carry a Big Stick. YEAH I'M BACK!
    BUILD? Click & be Amazed!
    Avant>Sedan! Click

Veteran Member Four Rings Spike00513's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti View Post
    I wonder how much these tools run up the electricity bill. I hear heat guns (stronger than a regular hair dryer) do, so I assume this might do that too.

Looks like there may be different company versions of the same idea tool, on the market.
    https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Ductor-V.../dp/B01N0LR0M0

Quote Originally Posted by 2004a4b630QT View Post
    I think you need a high torque for this. Something in the 1K ft lb range in an air tool or something like the Milwaukee 2767 with thick wall socket like a lisle.
    Aren't semi-truck tools a lot higher torque power?

I don't know which way the engine rotates, and if you have to keep it that way. Obviously to loosen the crank bolt, you're trying to turn it left.
    In which case, is it a matter of just sliding a pipe over a breaker bar handle, to give you more leverage? Such as a jack handle.
    But I don't know if any special tools exist to counter-hold the crankshaft or lock it in position, to keep it still while loosening the bolt.

I guess if you use a power tool, at least the front end can kind of come off in different ways, to gain access.
    Versus a transverse engine layout economy car (like a Kia) that doesn't allow for much room.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Spike00513 View Post
    I don't know which way the engine rotates, and if you have to keep it that way. Obviously to loosen the crank bolt, you're trying to turn it left.
    In which case, is it a matter of just sliding a pipe over a breaker bar handle, to give you more leverage? Such as a jack handle.
    But I don't know if any special tools exist to counter-hold the crankshaft or lock it in position, to keep it still while loosening the bolt.
    The engine crankshaft rotates clockwise, as viewed from in front of the car. Too bad the OP can't use the starter motor to break the bolt loose (what is the 'current state' which prevents that?). I'd be reluctant to apply a lot of torque to that bolt, with a long bar extension, because the only convenient way (that I can think of) to keep the crank stationary is by holding ring gear teeth. There's also the timing service tool that locks the crank at TDC, but I would't be comfortable putting a lot of shear on that.

Veteran Member Four Rings mauromj's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti View Post
    Be a lot cooler if it was called the "Nut Buster".

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thank you for all of the replies fellas! I appreciate it! I managed to get it out, I rented a 1" 850 ft lb impact.. Popped it out without an issue.
    Last edited by Ugly Dreams; 11-14-2018 at 09:13 PM.

Registered Member Four Rings EuroxS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Atlas Grey A4 Avant 1.8T 6speed manual quattro,2002 GSXR 600

Quote Originally Posted by Ugly Dreams View Post
    Thank you for all of the replies fellas! I appreciate it! I managed to get it out, I rented a 1" 850 ft lb impact.. Popped it out without an issue.
    I was gonna say you need something that has more torque.Either electric impact because they have just about infinite amount of torque at 0 rpm or a good 1/2 gun.I use a nitrocat 1250k it has 1300ft lbs of breakaway torque.It has yet to let me down.glad you got it sorted.
    VW/Audi Immobilizer removal and immobilizer adapting solutions for any and all VAG Vehicles,Odometer matching, SKC/Pin retrieval services.Located in Northern NJ.For inquries pm for details.

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You need to figure a way to tq the new bolt. It is stretch and the final 90 degree turn is pretty important. Many, like myself, construct their own tool.
    I hate it when my car acts like a little bitch, treating me like a bitch