Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings JohnnyTooBad's Avatar
    AZ Member #

need to mount front license plate

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I bought my car in PA, where they don't have front plates, but live in VA where we do. I don't see the point in spending $100+ on a frame for the front plate when I can bend a couple of pieces of aluminum and make one for about $10. But here's my question....

In the middle of the grille, there's a piece of plastic directly behind the plastic horzontal grille slats, and it appears there's a piece of metal behind that. Can I drill into that without worrying about hitting any vital parts back there, like, oh... an unseen radiator or something? There's no easy way to see or feel around back there, so I figured I'd ask before I do something stupid.

edit: Looking at it a little more, the piece of metal back there appears to be the actual bumper, and the plastic is just covering it so you don't see the galvanized steel bumper. I'm assuming I could drill and tap a couple of holes in there. For those of you with a front plate, is your license plate frame screwed into the bumper behind the grill?

Thanks!
    Last edited by JohnnyTooBad; 11-02-2018 at 02:07 PM.
    (DEAD) 2006 B7 A4 Avant 2.0T. Blue/Tan, Auto. 100% Stock, except for some window tint
    Replaced with a unicorn.... 2011 A6 Avant 3.0T, also Blue/Tan. Premium Plus, S-Line, Cold Weather Package.

Established Member Two Rings Kriskrk's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Have no idea about US licence plate law but can advise in the mounting.
    If you google "how to remove front bumper", you'll find out what's behind it.

Directly behind the grille, that plastic plate is just the cover for the crash bar. Well, at least, I think that is the purpose if it.
    Crash bar has no vital, mechanical or electrical parts in or around.

I have recently taken my bumper off in order to clean the grille from plasti dip.
    As the car is my daily driver and cleaning process was taking long, I've put everything back together without fitting the plate.
    Just last night, I did fix it as it was before and run 2.5" self tapping screws through the number plate plastic holder, in to the plate behind the grille.
    I was obsessed before of my plate being stolen and securing it with proper bolt & nut but now, just fitted it like that. It is secured enough not to fall off while driving.
    Number plate itself is screwed also to the holder but think will use longer screws to tap in to the plate behind the grille again. It will double up the strength.
    Had it also on double sided sticky tape so think might still have a bit of ocd

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Audi A6 C6 4F 170 Sline 2.0 Avant LeMans in Grey
    Stage 1 remap with EGR off and DPF gutted, partly dechromed with blacked out RS honeycomb grille, standard 19" LeMans RS4 type wheels (deu to change), full led interior, upgraded Osram CBI bulbs, fog's power led's with heat sinks.
    More to come

AZ Member #

My 11 came with mounting plate 4413D3B3-ADE4-4A0B-8DFD-E0D34FBB6C93.jpeg- now I bought car used so donít have idea how much it costs

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2011 A6 Avant Prestige w/CWP 1/20

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Why not use the tabs that are in the grill for the plate mount? There were a couple screws holding the front plate mount on our 09.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

If you have such a nice unicorn...don't drill holes in the bumper. I come with another option that allows you to keep your grill unmolested.

http://www.gominigo.com/Audi.html

I have owned 2 of these and they are very good quality.
    '09 A6 Avant 3.0T
    '68 Firebird (7.5L)

Sold
    '95 S6 Avant 20VT
    '75 VW bug 'the peoples' 1.6L (Sold)
    '06 S4 Avant (Sold)
    '98 BMW M3 (Sold)

Established Member Two Rings JohnnyTooBad's Avatar
    AZ Member #

jumpinj,

Aesthetics are a big part of this. I really prefer the look without a plate, but since I have to have one, I don't want it off to the side. I've seen those tow-hook plate holders, and I'm just not into that. I think I've figured out a way to do it. I'm going to work with some aluminum flat bar and zip tie it onto the grill with stainless zip ties and firm dense foam padding behind it. My plates should be here in another day or two (custom plates getting mailed to me), and I'll build it then. But you are right about not wanting to drill the bumper.
    (DEAD) 2006 B7 A4 Avant 2.0T. Blue/Tan, Auto. 100% Stock, except for some window tint
    Replaced with a unicorn.... 2011 A6 Avant 3.0T, also Blue/Tan. Premium Plus, S-Line, Cold Weather Package.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Well, post pictures when you get it all set up.
    '09 A6 Avant 3.0T
    '68 Firebird (7.5L)

Sold
    '95 S6 Avant 20VT
    '75 VW bug 'the peoples' 1.6L (Sold)
    '06 S4 Avant (Sold)
    '98 BMW M3 (Sold)

Veteran Member Four Rings ichi d's Avatar
    AZ Member #

just use tsome black zip ties and tie them down.
    C7 4.0T - EPL stage 1 ECU/TCU.

Donated - C6.5 Apr Stage 2

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ichi d View Post
    just use tsome black zip ties and tie them down.
    Big facts