Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: TPMS Sensors

Veteran Member Four Rings Seinsmeld13's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    16 Porsche GT4 & 2018 TTS

TPMS Sensors

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have bought an extra set of rims and winter tiers to mount on my 2018 RS5. My car have tire pressure monitoring therefore I will need to install sensors in each rim. If I do not install sensors a warning will be shown to advise of low pressure. This function as far as I can see can not be disabled. I was going to pull the fuse for this feature but could not locate one. It looks like I'll have to buy four sensors before I have the four tires installed on my new rims. Can any of you advise how I can get around this? The sensors are not cheap. If I don't have a solution to this I will buy the sensors within the next two weeks as the snow will be here soon together with temperatures below 7C.
    2018 RS5 2018 TTS
    Weekend and summer drive 2009 Porsche Boxster S

Senior Member Three Rings jpenneck's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm interested in this as well because I will be moving my current 2013 RS5 winter wheels (no TPMS sensors) over to my RS5 SB when it arrives. Where have you been looking for the sensors ? An Audi dealer ? Or somewhere else ? I've seen them priced anywhere from ~$20 - $100 each. Of course, I don't know what the specific part number required for the RS5 system to report individual pressures is though, or if any Audi sensor will work...
    Future - 2019 RS5 SB - Navarra Blue, Alu Optic Carbon, Dynamic package, Driver assistance, B&O, 5-arm-peak wheels.
    2013 RS5 - Sepang Blue, Alu-Optic, Black Alcantara, Nav, Sports Exhaust
    2012 Q5 - Ice Silver 2.0T, Premium+, Nav
    2012 S4 - Monsoon Gray, Prestige package, S-Tronic, Sports Diff
    2007 RS4 - Mugello Blue
    2000 S4 - Santorin Blue

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jpenneck View Post
    I'm interested in this as well because I will be moving my current 2013 RS5 winter wheels (no TPMS sensors) over to my RS5 SB when it arrives. Where have you been looking for the sensors ? An Audi dealer ? Or somewhere else ? I've seen them priced anywhere from ~$20 - $100 each. Of course, I don't know what the specific part number required for the RS5 system to report individual pressures is though, or if any Audi sensor will work...
    I now have sensors on order because my local Audi dealer said all RS5s have sensors in their rims. The cost of 4 sensors was $600 plus tax. Without sensors the warning light would come on. Therefore my winter package was very costly. The form I bought the tires/rims from bought the sensors from a local Audi dealer.
    2018 RS5 2018 TTS

Veteran Member Four Rings superswiss's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Sensors should only be required if you have the optional Direct TPMS. In Canada that's part of the Audi Sport Package, and in the USA the Dynamic plus package. Standard is indirect TPMS, which uses the ABS sensors to indirectly monitor tire pressure like in most other models. I did however read somewhere, that Direct TPMS is gonna become standard on MY19, but I'm not sure.
    '13 panther blk RS5, Ti pkg, blk leather/alcantara, nav pkg, sport exhaust, driver assist pkg, rear shade, alu kreuz, ECS spacers 15f/10r, ECS tru-float rotors, ECS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, european delivery
    '07 phantom blk S4, blk leather, 6mt, conv pkg, audio pkg, heated front&rear seats, bluetooth, nav plus, parktronic, DTM pkg, carbon trim, TPMS, rear&side shades (sold)

Veteran Member Four Rings Jimmy ny's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I donít think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 TTS. Mythos Black w/ Nappa Red interior. APR 1, AFE Intake

Veteran Member Four Rings superswiss's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by rayray View Post
    Direct TPMS will not be offered on any MY19 S5 per the most up to date order guide dated Oct 2018.
    Correct, and that's not what I said. This thread is about TPMS in the RS5, not the S5. Only RS models have an option to get Direct TPMS and it's standard equipment in the current R8 already. Direct TPMS is viewed as a useful option on cars that are intended for the track, so one can monitor hot tire pressure and tire temperatures.
    '13 panther blk RS5, Ti pkg, blk leather/alcantara, nav pkg, sport exhaust, driver assist pkg, rear shade, alu kreuz, ECS spacers 15f/10r, ECS tru-float rotors, ECS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, european delivery
    '07 phantom blk S4, blk leather, 6mt, conv pkg, audio pkg, heated front&rear seats, bluetooth, nav plus, parktronic, DTM pkg, carbon trim, TPMS, rear&side shades (sold)

Veteran Member Four Rings rayray's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 Q7

Quote Originally Posted by superswiss View Post
    Correct, and that's not what I said. This thread is about TPMS in the RS5, not the S5. Only RS models have an option to get Direct TPMS and it's standard equipment in the current R8 already. Direct TPMS is viewed as a useful option on cars that are likely to be taken to the track, so one can monitor hot tire pressure and tire temperatures.
    Don't mind me... I miss read it... my fault.
    2012 A6 3.0T Prestige | Phantom Black Pearl on Black | Innovation Pkg | 20" Sport Pkg
    2017 Q7 3.0T Prestige | Ink Blue Metallic on Nougat Brown | Driver Assistance Pkg | 21"RS Wheels | Towing Pkg

Senior Member Three Rings jpenneck's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Seinsmeld13 View Post
    The cost of 4 sensors was $600 plus tax..... The form I bought the tires/rims from bought the sensors from a local Audi dealer.
    Did you happen to get a part number for the sensors? $150 each seems really steep, so hopefully we can get the part or something compatible much cheaper somewhere else.

For at least the 2019 RS5 Sportback, Direct TPMS is included as part of the standard features. I haven't seen the order guide for the 2019 RS5 Coupe, but it seems like that the same would be true.
    Future - 2019 RS5 SB - Navarra Blue, Alu Optic Carbon, Dynamic package, Driver assistance, B&O, 5-arm-peak wheels.
    2013 RS5 - Sepang Blue, Alu-Optic, Black Alcantara, Nav, Sports Exhaust
    2012 Q5 - Ice Silver 2.0T, Premium+, Nav
    2012 S4 - Monsoon Gray, Prestige package, S-Tronic, Sports Diff
    2007 RS4 - Mugello Blue
    2000 S4 - Santorin Blue

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jpenneck View Post
    Did you happen to get a part number for the sensors? $150 each seems really steep, so hopefully we can get the part or something compatible much cheaper somewhere else.

For at least the 2019 RS5 Sportback, Direct TPMS is included as part of the standard features. I haven't seen the order guide for the 2019 RS5 Coupe, but it seems like that the same would be true.
    I did not get the part number. I will request it then post the information.
    2018 RS5 2018 TTS

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Direct TPMS is a standard feature on the 2019 RS5 per the order guide

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by evanseric21 View Post
    Direct TPMS is a standard feature on the 2019 RS5 per the order guide
    Mine is a 2018.
    2018 RS5 2018 TTS

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Total cost of the TPMS sensors and valves was $831.68 which includes labour here in Canada. Parts came from our local Audi dealer. If I didn't have these installed I have a warning each time I started the car plus I'd have no TPMS system. Was it worth it? Not what I paid for it, however, I'm happy I have it.
    2018 RS5 2018 TTS