Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring Erikwithak01's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 C5 Corvette, highly modifed. 2011 Jetta SE 2.5

New to the scene! Local A3 owner, plastidipper, and photographer in western WA

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey hey, new to the Audi scene. Bought my A3 this summer, after an exhaustive search for the perfect daily driver; looked at 50 cars, test drove around 30, only 8 were Audi's. I just fell in love with the new baby Audi, inside, and out! I do freelance automotive photography as a side hustle, same with plasti dipping cars, and have more than one car obsession :P Also in my stable is a 2011 Jetta SE with the 2.5l i5, and a HIGHLY modified 2001 C5 Corvette.

I'm looking to eye guzzle as much information on the platform as humanly possible, meet some cool folk, as well as give back to the community when, and where I can :) My A3 is currently Force Teal, with 100 grams of white pearl, which I shot myself in August; also took that picture, just last weekend.

Look me up on Instagram to see what craziness I'm always up to! Ig: thegoodlife_pnw
    Attached Images

Established Member Four Rings BeerBrent's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 A4 Avant

Awesome.
    I'm as cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce.

Established Member Two Rings k7780446's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Three Rings rvcahawaii808's Avatar
    AZ Member #

nice color. that will be hard to miss!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 A4 Avant

How much does it cost to Plastidip your car? How long does it take you? Easy to remove?
    I'd love to do my avant in orange.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

It varies widely based on the vehicle, the color, and any modifiers you might want (like pearls, metal flake, high gloss, etc). Some jobs take me 2 days, some 3. Some cars require break down of body parts, others don't. I typically charge a flat rate of $25 an hour, on top of materials, which I dont mark up at all.

For example, the A3 was $480.oo in materials, and I put 15 hours of labor into it over 3 days, so I would charge $855.oo for that. Typically you can expect to see coupes through compacts to be between $700-850, full size 4 door sedans and wagons to be $850-950, and trucks & SUV's to be around $1000.oo. However, I have had people go for some crazy stuff. One guy brought me an 850i beemer, and wanted a 3 color change flip pearl, gold metal flake, AND high gloss; the materials alone were $1000.oo, and I had the car for 4 days.

I have been doing it for almost 7 years, and one of my original dip jobs is still on the road on a WRX, going on 6 years now. Also, what you've heard about PDS being hard to peel, is only because people don't install it right, with my work, you won't have a problem with that at all; tried and true, peeled my own car many times myself :) I have done everything from construction pit trucks, to race car liveries, and Ferrari's as well.

I stay pretty busy just by word of mouth from past customers, that and random encounters when I'm at a gas station and someone wigs out over the car and wants it themselves, lol. It'll be until AT LEAST next spring before I can do another job though, temps, humidity and such.

I am happy to answer any questions you might have. Feel free to ask me about anything :)
    Last edited by Erikwithak01; 10-31-2018 at 11:56 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 A4 Avant

Thanks for the info! I might hit you up sometime.

Established Member Three Rings rvcahawaii808's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Erikwithak01 View Post
    It varies widely based on the vehicle, the color, and any modifiers you might want (like pearls, metal flake, high gloss, etc). Some jobs take me 2 days, some 3. Some cars require break down of body parts, others don't. I typically charge a flat rate of $25 an hour, on top of materials, which I dont mark up at all.

For example, the A3 was $480.oo in materials, and I put 15 hours of labor into it over 3 days, so I would charge $855.oo for that. Typically you can expect to see coupes through compacts to be between $700-850, full size 4 door sedans and wagons to be $850-950, and trucks & SUV's to be around $1000.oo. However, I have had people go for some crazy stuff. One guy brought me an 850i beemer, and wanted a 3 color change flip pearl, gold metal flake, AND high gloss; the materials alone were $1000.oo, and I had the car for 4 days.

I have been doing it for almost 7 years, and one of my original dip jobs is still on the road on a WRX, going on 6 years now. Also, what you've heard about PDS being hard to peel, is only because people don't install it right, with my work, you won't have a problem with that at all; tried and true, peeled my own car many times myself :) I have done everything from construction pit trucks, to race car liveries, and Ferrari's as well.

I stay pretty busy just by word of mouth from past customers, that and random encounters when I'm at a gas station and someone wigs out over the car and wants it themselves, lol. It'll be until AT LEAST next spring before I can do another job though, temps, humidity and such.

I am happy to answer any questions you might have. Feel free to ask me about anything :)
    wow right on. next time im in seattle i'll need to see if i can check it out. id love to wrap my car in the next year or so.

can you tell me the benefits of going the plastidip route over getting an actual wrap?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

In the case of PDS over vinyl wrap, your primary benefit is going to be cost. I see established shops wrapping cars in vinyl for around $2200.oo. I see established shops spraying PDS for around $1500.oo. Again, those figures can definitely vary up or down depending on complexity.

I have my own facility, on my own property, so not having to pay rent for a store, or wages to employees, means I can pass the savings on to my clientele. This year I built a 1200 square foot, triple tall shop on my property, JUST for plastidipping vehicles.

Established Member Two Rings SoundEfx's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Welcome.
    Have you ever thought of putting a lift in your shop and renting that out?

Veteran Member Three Rings duceduce122's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro

Welcome! I might be taking you up on the plastidip stuff brotha. I love the my brilliant red, but with minor paint scuffs and scratches throughout the years (I have an '07) it'd be awesome to get things changed up.
    Brilliant Red '07 A4 - Build Thread

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." | #10and90 | www.10and90.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I'd be down to do you A4 :)

I already have plans to put a 4 post, and 2 post lift in there, but I'm not sure I would ever rent it out. My shop and tooling represent the 2'nd largest investment of my life, which definitely lands squarely in the 6 figure range, so you can imagine I have my reservations about it. However, I wouldn't mind doing a mod day some time with a group of forum folks, just as long as I'm there :) I do it with the guys from Corvetteforum usually once a year....need to bring power to the building still though xp

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Welcome! Love the color of the Audi. Are you using there high end products as well - Autoflex and Proline?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrent View Post
    How much does it cost to Plastidip your car? How long does it take you? Easy to remove?
    I'd love to do my avant in orange.
    Like this one

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...1#post13360425

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 A4 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by chip_ View Post
    Thanks for sharing the pic!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrent View Post
    Thanks for sharing the pic!
    Yep that one is wrapped but looks killer.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I shot it with the Performance Series. I had yet to use that product, but I think it will now be my go to basic color change line, as it IS easier to work with.