Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

new audi s5, standard s suspension too rough (for me)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey all,

I just got a new 2018 Audi S5 coupe about a week ago. The car is, of course, pretty sick but one issue I've been having is the ride quality. Frankly it is way too rough for me. This car has the standard s sport suspension (not adjustable). I can feel every bump and imperfection in the road and it is sometimes jarring. I almost wince before I drive over any type of rut in the road, it's that bad. For reference I came from a BMW 440 with the adaptive suspension which was perfectly fine for me. In retrospect I should have gone for the adaptive suspension on the S5, however I guess the roads around the dealership were very smooth because I did not detect this issue on the test drive. Also, unfortunately this is a leased car for 36 months. At this point I figure I have 2 options:

1. Return the car and pay God knows how much money in penalities, depreciation etc for breaking the lease (if this is even an option)

2. Get another softer suspension thats more comfortable and install it in the car (and then replace the original suspension prior to returning the car at the end of the lease)

Neither is something I'm thrilled about going through but frankly I don't know if I will survive 3 years in this car with the current suspension. Would appreciate any advice, thank you

Veteran Member Four Rings Jimmy ny's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Change the springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 TTS. Mythos Black w/ Nappa Red interior. APR 1, AFE Intake

Veteran Member Four Rings superswiss's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Before you start going out and modify your suspension, take a look at your tire pressure. Audis as many other cars have different recommended tire pressures for normal load vs maximum load. Normal load is if you just drive around mostly by yourself and an empty trunk. Maximum load is for when the car is full of passengers and loaded up to the brim. For most of your driving you want to set the tire pressure to the normal load recommendation. Unfortunately, in the USA, the door sticker only lists the maximum load pressure and service departments etc. pretty much always inflate to the maximum load pressure and sometimes even over-inflate. Consult your owner's manual on page 346/347 for a comprehensive list of recommended tire pressures depending on load and tires. Start there and see if the proper tire pressure makes a difference. Also, new tires need about 500 miles before they are broken in and the compound and everything starts properly working together for optimal comfort, grip etc. But tires in general can make a big difference, too. Some tires ride more comfortable than other tires, so maybe you wanna look into a more comfortable tire.

'13 panther blk RS5, Ti pkg, blk leather/alcantara, nav pkg, sport exhaust, driver assist pkg, rear shade, alu kreuz, ECS spacers 15f/10r, ECS tru-float rotors, ECS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, european delivery
    '07 phantom blk S4, blk leather, 6mt, conv pkg, audio pkg, heated front&rear seats, bluetooth, nav plus, parktronic, DTM pkg, carbon trim, TPMS, rear&side shades (sold)

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by superswiss View Post
    Before you start going out and modify your suspension, take a look at your tire pressure. Audis as many other cars have different recommended tire pressures for normal load vs maximum load. Normal load is if you just drive around mostly by yourself and an empty trunk. Maximum load is for when the car is full of passengers and loaded up to the brim. For most of your driving you want to set the tire pressure to the normal load recommendation. Unfortunately, in the USA, the door sticker only lists the maximum load pressure and service departments etc. pretty much always inflate to the maximum load pressure and sometimes even over-inflate. Consult your owner's manual on page 346/347 for a comprehensive list of recommended tire pressures depending on load and tires. Start there and see if the proper tire pressure makes a difference. Also, new tires need about 500 miles before they are broken in and the compound and everything starts properly working together for optimal comfort, grip etc. But tires in general can make a big difference, too. Some tires ride more comfortable than other tires, so maybe you wanna look into a more comfortable tire.

Wow, so I checked the tire pressure, each tire was filled to 42psi!!! Some idiot at the dealership who was prepping the car clearly had no clue what he was doing. I released the pressure to 36 in the front and 33 and the rear (I have the 245/40 R18 97Y tires) and the ride is definitely a lot better. It is still a fairly stiff car overall but at least seems more drivable. I'll have to test it out on the highway tomorrow and see how it goes, but thanks a lot for the tip, I never even thought to check tire pressures.

Veteran Member Four Rings superswiss's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by icyfire View Post
    Wow, so I checked the tire pressure, each tire was filled to 42psi!!! Some idiot at the dealership who was prepping the car clearly had no clue what he was doing. I released the pressure to 36 in the front and 33 and the rear (I have the 245/40 R18 97Y tires) and the ride is definitely a lot better. It is still a fairly stiff car overall but at least seems more drivable. I'll have to test it out on the highway tomorrow and see how it goes, but thanks a lot for the tip, I never even thought to check tire pressures.
    You are welcome. Sometimes it's the simple things. Yes, you still bought a sporty car, so the ride will be on the firm side, but an S shouldn't be harsh. With the car being brand new, everything will be fairly stiff at first. The suspension will settle as you drive it and as mentioned, the tires will brake in as well. Before you do anything, drive it through the break-in period, let the suspension and tires settle in and then reevaluate.

Also, less likely, but worth checking is if they removed the shipping blocks from the springs during the prep. It does occasionally happen that they forget to remove them. Check your springs and make sure you don't see any plastic pieces attached to them that don't belong there. Here are a couple of pictures for what they might look like.

'13 panther blk RS5, Ti pkg, blk leather/alcantara, nav pkg, sport exhaust, driver assist pkg, rear shade, alu kreuz, ECS spacers 15f/10r, ECS tru-float rotors, ECS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, european delivery
    '07 phantom blk S4, blk leather, 6mt, conv pkg, audio pkg, heated front&rear seats, bluetooth, nav plus, parktronic, DTM pkg, carbon trim, TPMS, rear&side shades (sold)

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Mops@Nemesis's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '18 S4, '16 SQ5

One other thing... do you have the standard suspension, or S Sport? You mentioned both.
    034Motorsport | Advan | AG | Akrapovič | AWE | BBS | BC Forged | Brembo | Capristo | Deval | Forgeline | H&R | KW | Milltek | OZ | Sparco | Stoptech | TSW | Volk | Vorsteiner | Work | and many more

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by superswiss View Post
    You are welcome. Sometimes it's the simple things. Yes, you still bought a sporty car, so the ride will be on the firm side, but an S shouldn't be harsh. With the car being brand new, everything will be fairly stiff at first. The suspension will settle as you drive it and as mentioned, the tires will brake in as well. Before you do anything, drive it through the break-in period, let the suspension and tires settle in and then reevaluate.

Also, less likely, but worth checking is if they removed the shipping blocks from the springs during the prep. It does occasionally happen that they forget to remove them. Check your springs and make sure you don't see any plastic pieces attached to them that don't belong there. Here are a couple of pictures for what they might look like.

will definitely take a look at the springs, thanks! At this point I'll let the car break in a bit as you recommend.

One other thing... do you have the standard suspension, or S Sport? You mentioned both.
    It's the standard suspension (non-adjustable), sorry for the confusion.