Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Need help with Car Setup Recommendation

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Wanted to hear some feedback on the situation as I cannot decide for the life of me. My old setup was a 2012 Mazdaspeed3 as my daily driver and a 2007 911 Porsche Turbo as my fun weekend cruiser. I've toyed with selling the Porsche to get into something new and she finally sold.

I'm selling my cars because they are all manual. Sadly, as I get older, I'm starting to like the flexibility of automatic when I just want to casually drive and be able to flip it into manual mode to "control" the shifts. Now I have a decision to make and by that decision a list of cars to consider

Decision 1: Upgrade to single all-around-car
    This would mean selling my Mazdaspeed3 as well and buying a all-around-car. The short list I've been considering are:
    2014/2015 Audi RS7 - average price I see is around $65K
    2014-2016 Mercedes E63s - average price I see is around $60K
    2016+ Audi S6 - average price I see is around $57K
    The RS7 is going to be the most expensive, but also the most performance in stock and mod form. The E63 and S6, depending on the mileage and features, can actually be in/around the same price +/- $5K. The more I spend in this segment, the longer it'll take for me to buy a new weekend car

Decision 2: Upgrade daily driver & toy car
    I'm thinking of being able to upgrade my daily driver to a fun all around car, but not be so expensive like in Decision 1 above. I'm the original owner of the 2012 Mazdaspeed3 and it has been a great reliable car. My brother-in-law has a B8.5 and suggested replacing the Mazda with one of them. Seems that I can find them for around $28-$35K depending on features/miles. Is the S4 going to be more power than the Mazda? Any other cars you'd suggest in that price range?

If I am able to do the above, then I will likely be able to get into a toy car by mid 2019. Was thinking between 2014+ R8 V10, 2014+ 911 Turbo, potentially a Mclaren and then a LP Gallardo.

Thoughts? Car suggestions to research?
    Current Cars:
    2012 Mazdaspeed3:
    Past Cars:
    2007 911 Turbo: Exhaust/Tune
    1997 Dodge Viper: Hennessey 500 Package - 440rwhp/460rwtq
    2000 Miata:
    1990 Miata: T28 Turbo
    1994 RX7: A-Spec 500R Single Turbo
    2000 S4: Stage 3
    2005 GTO: Headers, cam, suspension, wheels, etc - 423rwhp/387rwtq

Veteran Member Three Rings Delasangre4231's Avatar
    AZ Member #

My opinion, if you sold your toy then replace your toy, worry about your DD later as a separate thing. I wanted to buy a 06-09 911 Turbo myself but instead settled on a 13 Audi RS5 and it is my only car/DD. Very fast from the factory and totally livable as a daily. I do long for more, when I test drove a 911 Turbo I was blown away by the power! In my opinion the DD and separate toy is a great plan.

I am assuming you have a family so a 2 door coupe as a daily is a no-go. If it were me and the car was strictly a fun toy I would get a Porsche GT3 or other GT car, the Turbo is stupid fast but for raw excitement and more fun on the track the GT cars are way better.

If you go the one all around car route I would probably pick the S6 from your list, I don't like the S7/RS7 fastback look. The S6 can be very very fast when tuned. However for your sub 70K price range what about an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. They start at 73k ish and I bet you could find a slightly used one or negotiate a deal to under $70k. It has 4 doors, and a shitload of horsepower and would have a warranty.
    2013 RS5 Phantom Black Pearl - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, ECS Brake lines with Motul RBF600, ECS X-Pipe, Leyo Motorsports paddle extensions

2003 A4 Avant, 6MT, 3.0 V6 SOLD
    B6 S4 front brakes, JHM stainless brake lines, Straight Pipe - http://youtu.be/7zsiB7rT1fo

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Delasangre4231 View Post
    My opinion, if you sold your toy then replace your toy, worry about your DD later as a separate thing. I wanted to buy a 06-09 911 Turbo myself but instead settled on a 13 Audi RS5 and it is my only car/DD. Very fast from the factory and totally livable as a daily. I do long for more, when I test drove a 911 Turbo I was blown away by the power! In my opinion the DD and separate toy is a great plan.

I am assuming you have a family so a 2 door coupe as a daily is a no-go. If it were me and the car was strictly a fun toy I would get a Porsche GT3 or other GT car, the Turbo is stupid fast but for raw excitement and more fun on the track the GT cars are way better.

If you go the one all around car route I would probably pick the S6 from your list, I don't like the S7/RS7 fastback look. The S6 can be very very fast when tuned. However for your sub 70K price range what about an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. They start at 73k ish and I bet you could find a slightly used one or negotiate a deal to under $70k. It has 4 doors, and a shitload of horsepower and would have a warranty.
    I don't know if I am bias because I know the S4 is cheaper, but I was able to test drive a 2013 S4 and a 2018 S6. I've test driven a S6 before, but first time for S4. My initial observations is that the S4 definitely has less power/torque and the S6, however I feel like the S4 is still more "peppy" than the S6 (weight?).

I've actually been really intrigued by the Quadrifoglio. You can pick up "used" 2017 Quadrifoglios for around the $60's but I don't want to get eaten by depreciation and again, if you're spending $60K+ on a car like that or a S6/RS7, I just would like it to feel "special" and not just look like any other car.
    Current Cars:
    2012 Mazdaspeed3:
    Past Cars:
    2000 Miata:

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by HardHitter View Post
    I don't know if I am bias because I know the S4 is cheaper, but I was able to test drive a 2013 S4 and a 2018 S6. I've test driven a S6 before, but first time for S4. My initial observations is that the S4 definitely has less power/torque and the S6, however I feel like the S4 is still more "peppy" than the S6 (weight?).

I've actually been really intrigued by the Quadrifoglio. You can pick up "used" 2017 Quadrifoglios for around the $60's but I don't want to get eaten by depreciation and again, if you're spending $60K+ on a car like that or a S6/RS7, I just would like it to feel "special" and not just look like any other car.
    The 13 or "B8.5" S4/S5 feels more peppy than other cars because it gets instant boost with the supercharger. The new 17+ S4/5 have turbo and they went from a dual clutch to the ZF 8 speed now so it's got lag. The S6 is also turbo so lag but turbo means large tuning potential.

I chose the RS5 because it has a V8 and that was more important than the fact that with tuning I can get a supercharged V6 S5 to be more powerful.

Idk about you but the Quadrifoglio is pretty dang rare and special where I live. I know I see alot of M and AMG and S cars but only ever seen 2 Alfas here. But you also list alot of other cool fun cars. I'm a big Porsche fan, but if you want to go full supercar and get a Lamborghini or McLaren those are awesome too.
    2013 RS5 Phantom Black Pearl - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, ECS Brake lines with Motul RBF600, ECS X-Pipe, Leyo Motorsports paddle extensions

B6 S4 front brakes, JHM stainless brake lines, Straight Pipe - http://youtu.be/7zsiB7rT1fo

AZ Member #

The 13 or "B8.5" S4/S5 feels more peppy than other cars because it gets instant boost with the supercharger. The new 17+ S4/5 have turbo and they went from a dual clutch to the ZF 8 speed now so it's got lag. The S6 is also turbo so lag but turbo means large tuning potential.

I chose the RS5 because it has a V8 and that was more important than the fact that with tuning I can get a supercharged V6 S5 to be more powerful.

Idk about you but the Quadrifoglio is pretty dang rare and special where I live. I know I see alot of M and AMG and S cars but only ever seen 2 Alfas here. But you also list alot of other cool fun cars. I'm a big Porsche fan, but if you want to go full supercar and get a Lamborghini or McLaren those are awesome too.
    What I meant by special I meant the "shock factor" For example, when I owned my 97 Dodge Viper, its such a rare car everyone thought it was so expensive but it wasn't. Spending $65K on a RS7/Quad, no one is going to think that is a $65K car unless you know your cars.
    Current Cars:
    2012 Mazdaspeed3:
    Past Cars:
    2000 Miata:

AZ Member #

What I meant by special I meant the "shock factor" For example, when I owned my 97 Dodge Viper, its such a rare car everyone thought it was so expensive but it wasn't. Spending $65K on a RS7/Quad, no one is going to think that is a $65K car unless you know your cars.
    Who cares? I mean if that's what you want. I'm not trying to offend you or diminish your wants or needs. But at the end of the day you want it to be about your experience behind the wheel not what everyone driving by thinks right?

I reached a point where the RS5 and a 997 911 Turbo would have cost the same in maintenance approximately, and I looked at insurance and all. But I thought to myself, man the Porsche would look amazing in my driveway and telling my friends I own a Porsche would make me feel good and wow them. But I wanted a V8 and a daily so the Audi made more sense.

AZ Member #

Who cares? I mean if that's what you want. I'm not trying to offend you or diminish your wants or needs. But at the end of the day you want it to be about your experience behind the wheel not what everyone driving by thinks right?

I reached a point where the RS5 and a 997 911 Turbo would have cost the same in maintenance approximately, and I looked at insurance and all. But I thought to myself, man the Porsche would look amazing in my driveway and telling my friends I own a Porsche would make me feel good and wow them. But I wanted a V8 and a daily so the Audi made more sense.
    Nah I totally get you. The S6/RS7 would be nice to "brag" about the HP numbers but at the end of the day, I could care less and thinking the S4 may be the car to replace the Mazda. From there, I have to decide on what toy to get.

Assume $80K from sales of the Porsche/Mazdaspeed. Spend $30K on a S4 and then have the remaining proceeds help go towards the new toy.
    Current Cars:
    2012 Mazdaspeed3:
    Past Cars:
    2000 Miata:

AZ Member #

That leave $50k, so is there more capital to go with or is that a down payment?

You are the only one that knows truly what car you want as a toy. Since it's not a daily I'd get the most track oriented car you can. Something special that won't break the bank and is paddle shift... Maybe another Porsche. That's where my head keeps going. But your 997 was the perfect one to get because they are already at the bottom of the depreciation curve. Maybe a 997.2 with the first gen PDK?
    Last edited by Delasangre4231; 10-30-2018 at 10:03 PM.

AZ Member #

That leave $50k, so is there more capital to go with or is that a down payment?

You are the only one that knows truly what car you want as a toy. Since it's not a daily I'd get the most track oriented car you can. Something special that won't break the bank and is paddle shift... Maybe another Porsche. That's where my head keeps going. But your 997 was the perfect one to get because they are already at the bottom of the depreciation curve. Maybe a 997.2 with the first gen PDK?
    The budget for the toy car is $100-$130K so that leaves me with a few options. 2012-2014 Mclaren MP4-12C Spyder, 991.1 911 Turbo S, 2014 R8 V10, Lamborgini Gallardo.

I probably wouldn't go for the 997.2 because they are in the $90-$100K range. Why not spend the extra $10-$20K more to get into the 991 which is a better platform.

Whatever is left over of my car proceeds is going to go to the toy. I have the cash on hand to buy now, but will explore the numbers of it makes sense to finance and invest the rest.
    Current Cars:
    2012 Mazdaspeed3:
    Past Cars:
    2000 Miata:

AZ Member #

The budget for the toy car is $100-$130K so that leaves me with a few options. 2012-2014 Mclaren MP4-12C Spyder, 991.1 911 Turbo S, 2014 R8 V10, Lamborgini Gallardo.

I probably wouldn't go for the 997.2 because they are in the $90-$100K range. Why not spend the extra $10-$20K more to get into the 991 which is a better platform.

Whatever is left over of my car proceeds is going to go to the toy. I have the cash on hand to buy now, but will explore the numbers of it makes sense to finance and invest the rest.
    That makes sense re the Porsche. I've heard older McLaren start getting problematic and personally I'd stay away. The R8 is a good choice, and the Porsche. What about a Ferrari 458 Italia?

AZ Member #

That makes sense re the Porsche. I've heard older McLaren start getting problematic and personally I'd stay away. The R8 is a good choice, and the Porsche. What about a Ferrari 458 Italia?
    That is my worry too about Mclaren. Been looking into them and they are amazing cars, but cost of ownership is quite high. Typically need to buy the $5K annual warranty from Mclaren just in case something were to break, so at a min, you're paying $5K for a piece of mind. And if something were to break, you hope that it is covered under that warranty or else you'll be paying from pocket.

Everyone was telling me to look into the 458, but I'm not a huge Ferrari guy. I don't know why, but all I've heard are maintenance problems from Ferrari owners.

I've driven a 2011 R8 V10, but not a 2014 with the dual clutch. I'd be interested in driving one, as well as the Gallardo to see how they compare. Should be the same V10 motor in both I believe.

I also haven't driven a 991 Turbo before, so another toy I'll need to test drive before making a decision.
    Current Cars:
    2012 Mazdaspeed3:
    Past Cars:
    2000 Miata:

AZ Member #

I wish I could go test drive these cars haha. I can't afford that right now. I am very very happy with my RS5!