Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Weird issue with S4 not starting

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Just picked up my B9 S4 earlier this month after trading in my B8.5. Yesterday I got in to start it up and immediately noticed the brake wouldn't compress like it normally does. Furthermore when I hit the start button all it did was turn the electronics on. Repeated this process about 3 times with no luck. Tried opening and closing the door a few times - no luck. Verified I was in park, etc. Eventually I pushed down on the brake extra hard to get it to compress and it did, then the car was able to start.

Has anyone experienced anything strange like this? I went ~25,000 miles on my B8.5 without any weird issues, so I'm not thrilled that my B9 is acting odd within 700 miles.

Thanks!

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    18 S4, 18 Q5

It happens to me every now and again, more so when the car sits in the cold. When it does happen, I never feel a difference in the brake pedal and it always starts on attempt number two. Doesn't happen enough to ever bring it up, so I just see it as one of the quirks.

Active Member Two Rings Filipao's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Was a common issue with my B8 allroad 3.0Tdi. Not so much with current B9 S4 Avant.

But it happens if the car is left standing for a longer period.

Don't worry.

AZ Member #

Only weird issue I have had with starting the car is when the car will tell me the key is not in the vehicle and to place it on the spot under the armrest. Has happened a few times to me. Likely an almost dead battery in the key fob.
    2018 S4 Prestige, Daytona Gray Pearl, Black Optic, S Sport, Napa Leather

2012 A4 Premium Plus, Monsoon Gray, Quattro, Navi, Push Start. VCDS mods needle sweep, windows up/down with fob, no wink turns, fogs as cornering lights.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Necropantser View Post
    Just picked up my B9 S4 earlier this month after trading in my B8.5. Yesterday I got in to start it up and immediately noticed the brake wouldn't compress like it normally does. Furthermore when I hit the start button all it did was turn the electronics on. Repeated this process about 3 times with no luck. Tried opening and closing the door a few times - no luck. Verified I was in park, etc. Eventually I pushed down on the brake extra hard to get it to compress and it did, then the car was able to start.

Has anyone experienced anything strange like this? I went ~25,000 miles on my B8.5 without any weird issues, so I'm not thrilled that my B9 is acting odd within 700 miles.

Thanks!
    I've experienced the EXACT same problem. Below is the description I gave Audi when I took my car in the get this worked. Also, is the narrative from the invoice for the steps and resolution from the Audi Tech. I have not seen this problem come back after 6000 miles. Should they want to reference, the Audi Service invoice number is AUCS170712.

MY DESCRIPTION:
    I’ve been having problems getting the car to start in the morning at my apartment. Once I get in the car, door closed, pressing brake pedal (which is quite stiff and have to put excessive pressure to ensure the system is recognized that the pedal is depressed), then press the start button car comes to life (electronically like normal with normal dash indicators but the car does not crank the starter or turn over, engine just sits there without a warning message.

I’ll take my foot off to brake hit the start/stop button to cycle the car power without any better results. After a few attempts it starts without any indicator or errors showing on the system. Additionally, a couple times I’ve had to exit the car walk away and re-approach the vehicle to go through the startup sequence which will then work fine. To assist in troubleshooting…I've tried both fobs and changed the key fob batteries twice (just in case it was low or I put a bad battery in the fobs).

AUDI TECHNICIAN TEXT:
    GFF 63TU Found code for R200 access start antenna…no communication. The code was set 8 times. System self test passed. So I opened a TAC CASE (#2321251). I was instructed to perform a circuit test and check wiring between R200 Antenna in rear left door and central electronics module 9j519 (under the drivers side of the dash). Found “Pin Drag Test” was well within specs at the connector T2C on R200. I then ohmed the wires (Pin 1 and 2) from the R200 antenna. I found .632 ohms on both wires between T2C and T54C on J519 (Pin 13 and 14). The “Pin Drag Test” was also in spec on J519 (T54C). This leaves only the R200 Antenna at fault. Replaced the R200 antenna and reinstalled all removed parts. Test drove for 3 miles and code did not return. I also tried starting the car over 12 times after the repair, it started every time. The issue has been documented and resolved.
    PARTS:
    QTY FP-NUMBER DESCRIPTION
    1 4M0-907-247 AERIAL
    1 WHT-002-250 BOLT

Hope this helps you and anyone else trying to get this ghost out of their machine!

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Bry! View Post
    I've experienced the EXACT same problem. Below is the description I gave Audi when I took my car in the get this worked. Also, is the narrative from the invoice for the steps and resolution from the Audi Tech. I have not seen this problem come back after 6000 miles. Should they want to reference, the Audi Service invoice number is AUCS170712.

MY DESCRIPTION:
    I’ve been having problems getting the car to start in the morning at my apartment. Once I get in the car, door closed, pressing brake pedal (which is quite stiff and have to put excessive pressure to ensure the system is recognized that the pedal is depressed), then press the start button car comes to life (electronically like normal with normal dash indicators but the car does not crank the starter or turn over, engine just sits there without a warning message.

I’ll take my foot off to brake hit the start/stop button to cycle the car power without any better results. After a few attempts it starts without any indicator or errors showing on the system. Additionally, a couple times I’ve had to exit the car walk away and re-approach the vehicle to go through the startup sequence which will then work fine. To assist in troubleshooting…I've tried both fobs and changed the key fob batteries twice (just in case it was low or I put a bad battery in the fobs).

AUDI TECHNICIAN TEXT:
    GFF 63TU Found code for R200 access start antenna…no communication. The code was set 8 times. System self test passed. So I opened a TAC CASE (#2321251). I was instructed to perform a circuit test and check wiring between R200 Antenna in rear left door and central electronics module 9j519 (under the drivers side of the dash). Found “Pin Drag Test” was well within specs at the connector T2C on R200. I then ohmed the wires (Pin 1 and 2) from the R200 antenna. I found .632 ohms on both wires between T2C and T54C on J519 (Pin 13 and 14). The “Pin Drag Test” was also in spec on J519 (T54C). This leaves only the R200 Antenna at fault. Replaced the R200 antenna and reinstalled all removed parts. Test drove for 3 miles and code did not return. I also tried starting the car over 12 times after the repair, it started every time. The issue has been documented and resolved.
    PARTS:
    QTY FP-NUMBERDESCRIPTION
    14M0-907-247 AERIAL
    1WHT-002-250BOLT

Hope this helps you and anyone else trying to get this ghost out of their machine!
    This is super useful! Big thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

If my B8 is not started for close to week, the same thing happens with a loss of pressure in the brake pedal. It actually has demonstrated this behavior since new.