Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran Member Three Rings a4lownslow's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 2.0T

Torque Converter RPM surge Poll

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by JayDog747 View Post
    What you need to do is drive for ~1k miles and then change it again. Just a drain and refill if you already changed the filter. This way you are assured that the majority of the fluid is fresh. As for the surging, you probably have a vacuum leak somewhere. I've changed the fluid twice in my S4(140k) and it still does it when it's cold and then goes away when it warms up.
    The fluid was actually quite clean suggesting someone had probably changed it not to long ago.

You’re also contradicting yourself when you say the surging is related to a vacuum leak. If it was I wouldn’t have spent money changing the tranny fluid and filter in the first place, and I certainly wouldn’t do a second drain and refill. That’d be a waste of money if the problem lies In the engine as you’re suggesting.

I buy and sell these cars and have owned dozens. This is a TC problem, and the vast majority do it to some degree. The car in question is quite severe which is why I finally decided to try changing fluid/filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 2.0T

https://youtu.be/ENJ_CFlFeH4

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

What you need to do is drive for ~1k miles and then change it again. Just a drain and refill if you already changed the filter. This way you are assured that the majority of the fluid is fresh. As for the surging, you probably have a vacuum leak somewhere. I've changed the fluid twice in my S4(140k) and it still does it when it's cold and then goes away when it warms up.
    It is the torque converter. Not vac leak. Very common, we'll known issue with these.

Sent from my VS995 using Audizine mobile app

Veteran Member Four Rings DownhillA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Definitely not vacuum related.

@a4lownslow my surge was just as bad in 4/5th gear. After doing my fluid/filter change that went away 96% and now after it is warmed up for 5-10 miles I have 0 surging in any gear. Sorry to hear you did not have the same results after your fluid change.
    Tri-state Foliage Cruise 2018
    IG: @downhill_a4
    @I_like_your_box

"If you are a true automotive enthusiast whom loves their car,
    you learn to catch rides to parties and leave your car at home."- dougyfresh

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by DownhillA4 View Post
    Definitely not vacuum related.

@a4lownslow my surge was just as bad in 4/5th gear. After doing my fluid/filter change that went away 96% and now after it is warmed up for 5-10 miles I have 0 surging in any gear. Sorry to hear you did not have the same results after your fluid change.
    It really seems to be hit or miss changing the fluid/filter. I did a lot of research on the topic beforehand, and was quite hopeful I would see some improvement.

The mixed results really suck because as many of these cars that I buy 80% of them exhibit symptoms, but if it doesn’t help it’s just money down the drain:/

Veteran Member Three Rings pablolizarraga's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    "Hers": SQ5 His: 1966 Ford Mustang Coupe, 1965 Ford Mustang Fastback

I started doing my research on these trans (5HPFLA for me) ever since the first symptoms of gear hunting. Im hoping for some relief after I do a ATF fluid/filter because I now understand the “slushbox” description; even though the last time I performed it was only about 40k mi ago.
    Given that these trans are in other brands (BMW, Porsche) I wonder if those owners experience the same symptoms. If not, would it be a TCU issue? Wonder if those who have gotten a TCU tune (JHM) experience same symptoms.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Move to Phoenix. No surging here and I'm at 116k miles.

Veteran Member Three Rings JayDog747's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 S4, 2008 Subaru Outback,2015 Silverado,08 A43.2

Have you checked for a vacuum leak?

Why not replace the TC with this one:

https://www.levelten.com/AUDI_TORQUE...cc-hunting.htm

And let us know how it goes.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 2.0T

Have you checked for a vacuum leak?

Why not replace the TC with this one:

https://www.levelten.com/AUDI_TORQUE...cc-hunting.htm

And let us know how it goes.
    I think we are past a vacuum leak. The engine runs perfect no issues. And to clarify, manifold vacuum is the highest at idle and under deceleration, not cruising speed, so again your theory is not quite right.

I have considered replacing the torque converter but In a business where I buy and sell cars I can’t justify spending anymore time and/or money on this one. It’s an 06 A4 with 138k. I’ve already gone through the engine, and regardless of the surging it still drives down the road just fine, no CEL. At the end of the day it’s a 38-4K car, so to me it’s not worth the 300$ torque converter and 10 hours to R&R the engine (which is how I go about jobs like this without a lift).

Now if this was my 07 A4 with 73k that’s next in line to be fixed I would do the work because that cars worth about 7k.. lucky for me it’s a 6 speed :)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
    Move to Phoenix. No surging here and I'm at 116k miles.
    When I bought this car temps were 60 degrees and still very obvious. I think this one is past help from Mother Nature.

I just picked up an 08 the other day with 115k. Essentially no surging at 20 degrees. The average person would never pick up on it. After a short drive tack is solid.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by pablolizarraga View Post
    I started doing my research on these trans (5HPFLA for me) ever since the first symptoms of gear hunting. Im hoping for some relief after I do a ATF fluid/filter because I now understand the “slushbox” description; even though the last time I performed it was only about 40k mi ago.
    Given that these trans are in other brands (BMW, Porsche) I wonder if those owners experience the same symptoms. If not, would it be a TCU issue? Wonder if those who have gotten a TCU tune (JHM) experience same symptoms.

I was also curious as to why Audi seems to have this problem but not other brands. I buy quite a few of the e90 bmw using ZF trans and HAVE never seen or heard of issues like this.

In fact, over on bimmerpost the ZF is considered to be a very good, reliable transmission.

I have noticed driving in sport mode will reduce surging. My thinking is the increased rpm and lower gear provides more fluid pressure and the engine is at a decreased torque load which requires less demand on the TC.

Similar to testing clutch on a manual trans. If it slips it’s going to be while in a high her at low rpm, more load.

Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I think they goofed on the lockup design for the TC on the 2.0t transmissions. I remember hearing that S4s and 3.2s don’t have this problem. Someone theorized that the excessive idle vibrations In gear and the rpm surging were related to the TC stall speed and the lockup calibration in D. My 2006 showed evidence of this way back in 2010 with around 70k on the clock. I actually had 3 issues, really excessive idle vibrations in gear, slight rpm hunting at low loads when cold, and hard 1-2-3 shifting.

I solved the problem by trading in for my current manual Avant, haha.
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant)
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile with new timing chains
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

Veteran Member Three Rings pablolizarraga's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    "Hers": SQ5 His: 1966 Ford Mustang Coupe, 1965 Ford Mustang Fastback

Just armchair mechanics, but Im with you on the pressure. In sport, its a different transmission. Acceleration is there when I need it and it doesn’t gear hunt.
    However, I recently did an ATF top off (250ml) along with front diff refill. Car was soooo comfortable to drive. I could drive it 30-40mph in low RPM’s. It seemed to hold gears at about 2k RPM rather than surge and immediately upshift to higher gear which sometimes would result in shudder. The drone on my Remus exhaust also was pretty much eliminated and sounded how I remember; more refined. I thought the diff refill was the trick, but the effects only lasted about 250-300mi. Im pretty sure I didn’t lose 250ml in that time based on previous attempts to top it off. Will share my results when I do ATF fluid/filter job this winter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12