Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings absolutt's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 Audi A3 2.0T DSG 85k mi

Question Unusually high amount of headlight condensation... what causes this?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    After a few years of owning my A3, I had started to notice that condensation would develop in the headlight housings. Nothing all that severe, but a little unsightly. It would be noticeable after a heavy rain. I learned that this is a common trait with this style headlight design. My passenger side headlight would end up with a little more condensation than the driver's side, but it usually took just another day to clear up.

Recently, this changed. I don't know what could have caused it. The only thing that comes to mind is that I had my A/C system completely replaced, which required removing the front bumper. This was all handled by a local shop that I trust and they did a great job on the A/C. But now I'm wondering if maybe they screwed something up with the passenger headlight, because now I'm seeing an abnormally high amount of condensation. We had a couple of rainy days recently... but now on the 3rd day after that, my driver's headlight is totally clear but the passenger headlight is showing noticeable condensation still lingering.

Any ideas as to what I can do about this?
    Current ►► 2007 A3 2.0T DSG/OS/TP/CW/CP Ocean Blue Previous2003 TTQR 225hp Ocean Blue

Veteran Member Four Rings MacFady's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    330i ZHP

These look very similar in style to the B6 A4 headlights. In those, there is a small plastic gear looking affair you can see on the top that is the vertical shaft of the outer beam adjusters. If you pull it straight up and out you will notice there is a rubber gasket/o-ring on it. I put some lithium grease on it every now and then and it seemed to be enough to seal it in my case, or you can replace it with a slightly larger one. I'd start there. You can open up the door on the back and dry out whats in there with a hair dryer if turning on the lights for a while doesn't work.

Established Member Two Rings absolutt's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 Audi A3 2.0T DSG 85k mi

Quote Originally Posted by MacFady View Post
    These look very similar in style to the B6 A4 headlights. In those, there is a small plastic gear looking affair you can see on the top that is the vertical shaft of the outer beam adjusters. If you pull it straight up and out you will notice there is a rubber gasket/o-ring on it. I put some lithium grease on it every now and then and it seemed to be enough to seal it in my case, or you can replace it with a slightly larger one. I'd start there. You can open up the door on the back and dry out whats in there with a hair dryer if turning on the lights for a while doesn't work.
    Thanks for the tip -- I'll do a check on the headlight to see if there's anything like you mention, or some other opening where a gasket may be compromised or not seated properly. I'll post back with results.
    Current ►► 2007 A3 2.0T DSG/OS/TP/CW/CP Ocean Blue Previous2003 TTQR 225hp Ocean Blue