Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Exhaust valve control

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I am considering the AWE switch path exhaust and am trying to figure out if the remote is worthwhile to open and close the valves or if it is better to just let the car handle the valve. Does anyone know how the different settings in the MMI control the valves. Ie. are they closed in comfort and open in dynamic? Does anyone have the switchpath without the remote and does it work relatively well?

Veteran Member Four Rings will13k7's Avatar
    AZ Member #

This is what I've been able to tell by looking at the valves while in park/idle and listening to the differences while driving. I have a Milltek exhaust and it is really obvious when the valves are open or closed while driving, and since they moved the driver's side valve near the exhaust tip, and use the OEM valve controllers and programming, it is easy to see what happens while parked.

Valves are closed when the car is put into comfort or auto mode. Valves are open when the car is put into dynamic mode.

When the car is put into individual mode, it depends on the "Engine sound" setting. Valves are closed when "Engine sound" is set to comfort or auto. Valves are open when "Engine sound" is set to dynamic.

Valves Open:

Valves Closed:

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings
    AZ Member #

The valves have a bit of a mind of their own, well the car controls them in interesting and sometimes not totally logical ways.

Valves generally are more closed in comfort, but they do open in certain situations. Auto generally is a mix of open and closed depending on throttle input and situation. Dynamic generally tends to be more open but not 100% of the time.

If you want a simple way to control the valving I recommend the AVC:

Controller Package | Exhaust Valve

This controller needs no key fobs and is controlled by the MMI and Drive Select buttons. It makes the valves operate in a much more logical manner:

- Dynamic - Valves are Fully Open at All RPM
    - Automatic - Standard Factory Valve Behavior
    - Comfort - Valves Remain Closed until 5000rpm
    - ESP Double Tap - Immediate Closing or Opening of Valves
    - Startup - Valves Revert to Last Setting Used on Shutdown

If you want to immediately open or close the valves you can double tap the ESP button. Otherwise you just use the factory controls and don't need another button or fob to control the exhaust.

If you have any questions do let me know or PM/email: contact@europrice.us

Cheers,

Veteran Member Four Rings richib86's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Alex@Europrice.us View Post
    The valves have a bit of a mind of their own, well the car controls them in interesting and sometimes not totally logical ways.

Valves generally are more closed in comfort, but they do open in certain situations. Auto generally is a mix of open and closed depending on throttle input and situation. Dynamic generally tends to be more open but not 100% of the time.

If you want a simple way to control the valving I recommend the AVC:

Controller Package | Exhaust Valve

This controller needs no key fobs and is controlled by the MMI and Drive Select buttons. It makes the valves operate in a much more logical manner:

- Dynamic - Valves are Fully Open at All RPM
    - Automatic - Standard Factory Valve Behavior
    - Comfort - Valves Remain Closed until 5000rpm
    - ESP Double Tap - Immediate Closing or Opening of Valves
    - Startup - Valves Revert to Last Setting Used on Shutdown

If you want to immediately open or close the valves you can double tap the ESP button. Otherwise you just use the factory controls and don't need another button or fob to control the exhaust.

If you have any questions do let me know or PM/email: contact@europrice.us

Cheers,
    ^^^ this
    2016 S6, Mythos black with Arras red, Sport package, Bose, Black ops, silver side mirrors, LED, Cold weather, Driver assist, APR Stg 3 w/RS7 turbo's, AMS cooler, APR downpipes, Milltek Non-res Valved, Roc-Euro intake, CETE lowering module, HRE P101, Alcantara steering wheel w/rs7+ buttons, Neidfaktor alcantara shift knob, P3 Gauge, Full O34 mounts, OEM interior LED, VIM

2014 Q5 3.0, Glacier white w/chestnut, H&R springs, Eurocode Sways, DIY black optics, 5 arm titanium rotor reps