Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings ZFURR27's Avatar
    AZ Member #

2016 Q5 3.0T - Odd engine sound

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi All,

This afternoon while on the highway traveling at speeds ranging between 40 and 60 I began to notice a strange noise coming from the front end. It would die down as I slowed down to a stop and would get more noticeable as I accelerated. It almost sounded like the auto transmission was trying to shift but it wasnt taking. Not sure if this is a good enough description for anyone to pinpoint what the issue might be. Anyone experience anything similar?

Note - 2016 Q5 3.0T bone stock. I bought this car CPOd with 16k miles. Right now Im just shy of 21k.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2016 Q5 3.0T Glacier White Metallic Quattro P+ Technology Package// Sport Interior Package

(former) 2011 A4 2.0 T Brilliant Red Quattro P -APR Carbonio Intake//AWE Quad Tip Touring Edition Exhaust//AWE Carbon Fiber Rear Valance// H&R Street Performance Coils// Hartmann HRS6-204-GS 19x8.5 ET +38// Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus 255/35/19

Veteran Member Four Rings A U D I's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Its low miles, but you might want to check the front wheel bearings. It can replicate a transmission not shifting noise to some people.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by A U D I View Post
    Its low miles, but you might want to check the front wheel bearings. It can replicate a transmission not shifting noise to some people.
    Thank you. I will look into it. Do you think it could be tire related as well? The noise is coming from the front passenger side it seems. Coincidentally, the front left tire is starting to look pretty worn. I am probably due for a new set pretty soon

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2016 Q5 3.0T Glacier White Metallic Quattro P+ Technology Package// Sport Interior Package

(former) 2011 A4 2.0 T Brilliant Red Quattro P -APR Carbonio Intake//AWE Quad Tip Touring Edition Exhaust//AWE Carbon Fiber Rear Valance// H&R Street Performance Coils// Hartmann HRS6-204-GS 19x8.5 ET +38// Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus 255/35/19

AZ Member #

Sure, a worn tire can give noise also. A wheel bearing beginning to go out can also sound like a tire tread noise.

AZ Member #

you hit the nail on the head with the bad wheel bearing. The dealership fixed it and it was covered under warranty.

The tires were also worn irregularly due to misalignment. So I am having them align, rotate the tires and balance them.

I am thinking about going back to the dealership that I purchased the car from to see if they (or Audi) can give money towards, or replace, my tires completely since I will need to replace them sooner than expected since they sold me a car that was misaligned.

Anyone fight a battle like this before and have success?

Veteran Member Four Rings VroomVroom's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Zero chance on that battle - don't waste your time. Even if they stipulated in writing that an alignment was performed in conjunction with the CPO inspection/prep, they could simply respond that something happened to knock things out of whack in the 5k miles since they sold you the vehicle.

To that end, it is worth asking the servicing dealer for an opinion/diagnosis on why the alignment was off. Not to cause you any worry, but a wheel bearing and an alignment out of whack on a vehicles two-years old...worth investigating a bit.
    --Jerry || 2016 SQ5 P+, Glacier White; Tech, Nappa, Black Optics, 21's.
    Suspension || H&R Springs - 29001-3; Bilstein B8 Dampers - 24-145985 (F) & 24-145992 (R)
    Wheels & Tires || BBS CI-R - CIR 0501 BPO, 20x10 ET25 Satin Black; Continental DWS06 275/40
    ...Formerly: 13' Q5 3.0T '12 Q5 3.2, '08 A4 Avant 3.2, '06 A4 Avant 3.2.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ZFURR27 View Post
    you hit the nail on the head with the bad wheel bearing. The dealership fixed it and it was covered under warranty.
    Glad to hear this !