Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring davyay's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Losing coolant and coolant tank has high pressure

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I've been having some coolant loss issues on my Audi a6.
    There is no visible drip or anything on the floor ever.
    I got a low coolant warning earlier and when i unscrewed the cap i heard a whoosh and the coolant went back up to normal line.
    A little while later i unscrewed it again and it started bubbling over, i screwed it back on to stop it and it sounded like it was bubbling/boiling in the tank. Once i reopened the cap, it bubbled for a while and i burped it just in case that was the issue and now my coolant is way low again.

I've probably refilled it enough times to fill the whole tank up and then some. Theres gotta be some significant loss.
    Can anyone identify why my car is acting up?

Side note, 09 a6's use violet coolant right? I just got this car recently and the owner was using red coolant and I've just been filling it with that. Would this cause any issue? Do i need to run and flush this crap?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Audizine mobile app

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 S4 6MT Quattro (2.7TT Swap Project)

Check your water pump. It should use red coolant. The newer stuff has a little more purple hue to it. It will have pressure if it is hot at all. That is normal. The level will change depending on the temperature and pressure.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by CrzyAznKB View Post
    Check your water pump. It should use red coolant. The newer stuff has a little more purple hue to it. It will have pressure if it is hot at all. That is normal. The level will change depending on the temperature and pressure.
    Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I'll make sure to give that a look.

I see so it is normal for me to be using red coolant. Really off putting haha, voilet bottle says 06 and up and red says 06 and below.
    I'm guessing red was the standard til violet replaced it?

Established Member Two Rings Kriskrk's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Had a similar situation in my B7 A4.
    Coolant loss and splatter on all over the engine bay. Change if coolant bottle cap didn't help. Coolant gauge was pulsing up and down even during the drive on motorway.
    To top it all, cool air was blown inside the cab, during the winter with settings for heating.
    Turned up to be blown head gasket.
    Hope yours isn't as severe

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Audi A6 C6 4F 170 Sline 2.0 Avant LeMans in Grey
    Stage 1 remap with EGR off and DPF gutted, partly dechromed with blacked out RS honeycomb grille, standard 19" LeMans RS4 type wheels (deu to change), full led interior, upgraded Osram CBI bulbs, fog's power led's with heat sinks.
    More to come

Established Member Two Rings jamesb's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1991 Toyota MR2 turbo

I was think that too, a bad head gasket could pressurize your cooling system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If I can't fix it I can fix it so nobody can fix it.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Kriskrk View Post
    Had a similar situation in my B7 A4.
    Coolant loss and splatter on all over the engine bay. Change if coolant bottle cap didn't help. Coolant gauge was pulsing up and down even during the drive on motorway.
    To top it all, cool air was blown inside the cab, during the winter with settings for heating.
    Turned up to be blown head gasket.
    Hope yours isn't as severe

Ouch.. sorry you had to deal with that.

I'm not seeing coolant leaking anywhere at all. Was your oil white and milky when that happened? Someone told me seeing that would let you know right away if that's the issue, i just don't know if that only happens after a while.

My coolant guage always stays in the middle once its warmed up. When i got the low coolant warning it went a millimeter above the middle mark. Heat is also working normally.

Dunno if this is connected in any way but at one point my oil level dropped a lot and got a lot blacker in a very short time. Someone suggested it could just mean i need to replace the pcv tube which is known to fail on the c6's.

So far I havent driven the car at all, waiting til i have time to see my mechanic.

Side note: man has Audi spoiled me. Been driving an 09 jetta for the past few days; realllyy makes ya miss your quattro.

Established Member Two Rings Kriskrk's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I didn't had anything under the oil cap. Only these signs were enough to diagnose it.

Don't forget, once the engine is hit, all rubber parts expand a bit so leak might not be traceable. Only when it's cold, as they shrink.
    Happen that to me also. Had a tiny leak on O ring in 5p size costing same but in labour was deeper in the engine so spent under 300.

Go to the garage and get it pressure tested on the warm engine.

Audi A6 C6 4F 170 Sline 2.0 Avant LeMans in Grey
    Stage 1 remap with EGR off and DPF gutted, partly dechromed with blacked out RS honeycomb grille, standard 19" LeMans RS4 type wheels (deu to change), full led interior, upgraded Osram CBI bulbs, fog's power led's with heat sinks.
    More to come