Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Bent Valves and Damaged Piston

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I just bought a 2000 Audi TT Convertible with a 1.8L engine for our son's first car. I bought it at a great price due to the valve damage and piston damage. We intend on making this our project car so that he has a good car when he goes to college in 4 years. This car is intended to last him thru college and if things go well he will keep it for sentimental reasons to pass down to his child when the time comes. We are not trying to make this a high performance vehicle, but we are trying to make this last for A LONG TIME. to that end I need some advice.

While we know we are going to rebuild the engine are there any components that we should consider upgrading (Valves, valve Springs, Pistons, Rings, bearings, or any other component? Any advise will be welcomed, remember not for speed but for longevity.

Thanks in advance

Felix

Senior Member Three Rings egovreau's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 VW Passat Wagon

Which flavor of 1.8, AMU or AWP?

The AMU (225 HP) engine already has hardened internals. But if you're prepared to do so, doing an internal refresh would be a good move, so long as everything looks to be in good shape.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by felixgee View Post
    I just bought a 2000 Audi TT Convertible with a 1.8L engine for our son's first car. I bought it at a great price due to the valve damage and piston damage. We intend on making this our project car so that he has a good car when he goes to college in 4 years. This car is intended to last him thru college and if things go well he will keep it for sentimental reasons to pass down to his child when the time comes. We are not trying to make this a high performance vehicle, but we are trying to make this last for A LONG TIME. to that end I need some advice.

While we know we are going to rebuild the engine are there any components that we should consider upgrading (Valves, valve Springs, Pistons, Rings, bearings, or any other component? Any advise will be welcomed, remember not for speed but for longevity.

Thanks in advance

Felix
    Similar project. My son and I are working on a 2.0 fsi motor for a 2011 gti with a slipped timing chain. Got the head out and resurfaced, replaced valves. ready to put it back together and somehow only now noticed the crankshaft is not spinning freely, only a few degrees of travel. Pretty discouraging since we hoped to have it back together by now and need to take it further apart. And also because it's been months and I want my son to have a "win". Not sure how we missed the crank not spinning until now. Really, really sucks.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks in advance

Felix
    My 2004 tt has been a mess. Everything that can typically go wrong has gone wrong. Check your drains behind the seats on either side, make sure they are draining properly.

AZ Member #

This Motor is an AWP, when you say internals can you be more specific?

AZ Member #

We have at least 1 year to get this running. so time is our friend right now, Thanks for the advise, We will definitely be checking the Crankshaft and pistons before we start putting things back together, probably put new rings in just because we can. If anyone knows of a better piston or rings that we should consider before we start putting things back together it would be great to consider our options.

AZ Member #

Great advise, We will be checking those right away, thanks for the advise!!

Senior Member Three Rings egovreau's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 VW Passat Wagon

This Motor is an AWP, when you say internals can you be more specific?
    Crank and pistons.

However, the AWP used 19mm wrist pins instead of the 20mm pins found in the AMU. The AWP pins are weaker and prone to breaking.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Established Member Two Rings Gysty's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Toyota avalon, TOYOYA 4RUNNER

Since you are there already, replace all crankshaft and connecting rods bearings, this cars are well know to get oil pump failures/oil pressure problems with the time, so get it replaced as well, and get crankshaft clearances checked at a machine shop. Since you are keeping it for long time, try to use premium parts (not from dealer, but from a nice parts supplier as ecs tuning or fcp euro).