Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

2003 CVT low / no trans fluid???

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi all, looking for advice on my 2003 audi a4 3.0l. For some time my ABS light and ESP warning lights have been on on my dash. I had a vagcom scan and an error was showing on one of the rear wheel speed sensors. I hadn't got round to fixing the issue and over time things got worse, but now I'm not sure if it was the wheel speed sensor or something else. So the symptoms I have experienced are...

1. When I put the car into Drive, there is no creep and when I put my foot down on the accelerator the car really jolts and struggles to pull away

2. When it shifts gears it is very sluggish.

3. Worse of all, I pulled away from a roundabout the other day and as my car shifted gears it was like I had accidently knocked it into neutral, the revs went through the roof but I didn't move anywhere. I put into manual mode and tried shifting through the gears but had nothing. It just wasn't engaging any gear, not even reverse.

I've phoned a few garages and they've told me it sounds like the transmission is completely trashed and it'll cost £2k to get it back on the road but I've also read things online that it could be that my transmission fluid is low / empty.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Need the codes for esp. I assume they won't be related to your transmission issue so you'll have to check that. Abs is going to be speed sensor. The esp could be something reset if battey has be unplugged and needs some calibration for steering, etc. Jerking motion will probably trigger it as well ( correct me if I'm wrong). I have a similar issue with a parts A4 b6 1.8t cvt that is on the tail end of your symptoms. Transmission fluid leaks from the bottom, I inspected and it looked like from the transmission lines could be inside housing) But it doesn't creep in drive. Jerks violently when it would eventually get going. Codes are transmission speed 1 & 2 missing and clutch adaption. I've read it could be symptoms of tcm but maybe transmission is gonskies. At this point it has lit up prnds limp mode.

For your speed sensor if you have the proper vag com vcds measure speed blocks for that side. Could be tone ring that the sensor is failing to register with. Clean that part first before proceeding to replace any parts. Check if you have any codes for transmission. The popping into neutral has been an issue with the TCM but I wouldn't know for sure. As tcm related symptoms are with dash flashing prnds

Sent from my Pixel using Audizine mobile app

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thanks so much for all the info, I will need to try and get the car to a garage to run a vagcom and see if it gives me any errors for the transmission. I don't get a flashing prnd, instead they're just all highlighted and it doesn't change selection as I shift between them all.