Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

2004 A4 1.8T Antifreeze Boiling

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My 2004 A4 1.8T antifreeze keeps boiling. I noticed my fans aren't turning on. My question is, is the boiling due to the fans not working?

Veteran Member Four Rings jpulll's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Could it possibly be air in the system? Monitor your coolant temperature on the gauge. If it gets to 2/3 the way, turn off the engine and scan for codes.

Sent from my iPhone
    2003 A4 1.8T 5-spd w/ Motoza 93/E85.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Is the coolant boiling with the expansion tank cap installed or when the system is depressurized by removing the cap. If the coolant is actually boiling I think that the chances are good that the head has been damaged. These AMB heads don't tolerate being overheated very well.

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by EdwinM1983 View Post
    My 2004 A4 1.8T antifreeze keeps boiling. I noticed my fans aren't turning on. My question is, is the boiling due to the fans not working?
    Check your fan control module. You need the fans to cool the anti-feeeze/distilled water mix as it passes through the radiator. The aluminum fins are used to cool the anti-freeze, but you need the radiator fans to draw air though the radiator. This is necessary for cooling capacity.

Natural law (of nature) is heat migrates to cold. With the ambient air being colder than the coolant, the heat from the coolant migrates to the air off the radiator fins into the ambient air passing through because it is colder than the radiator. As the heat off the aluminum fins transfer to the air drawn through by the cooling fans, heat from the coolant can now transfer to the aluminum fins with the heat being removed by the fans for a continuous cycle.
    I hate it when my car acts like a little bitch, treating me like a bitch