Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '05 Volvo S60R, B5 A4 1.8TQM Avant

Intercooler cores... Any reputable company that makes a WIDE 2.5" core?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    First, I would like to note I am not using a stock A4 bumper.

I need some help locating an intercooler core. I've been searching for months but I guess my ideal dimensions are extremely unique.

My dilemma is I want an intercooler that sits below the crashbar, so max height has to be below 8 inches. To compensate for this, and lack of volume, I would like a wide intercooler. The biggest restrictions are my aftermarket aluminum radiator that eats up an additional 3/4" of space, and the Rieger bumper tapering backwards as it extends down. I believe I can fit a 3" core with trimming, so I prefer to go with 2.5" core for extra cushion.

My ideal plan would be to use a core along the lines of 30" wide (+/-), that way the custom fab'd end tanks will extend beyond the lock carrier (radiator support). With this concept the the end tanks will be fab'd up similar to the design of current gen Ford Fiesta aftermarket intercoolers so I can eliminate the need for 90* silicone elbows on each side, and maintain a 2.5 inlet/outlet without them being wider than the intercooler.

Here's a link to the Fiesta intercooler for an idea of end tank design:
    https://www.cjponyparts.com/cobb-fro...yABEgKWxvD_BwE

The widest intercooler core I could find with such a shallow depth was by Bell (2.25) but it is only available with a max width of 22". This would require some really long end tanks to widen the completed intercooler (end tank to end tank) beyond the width of the lock carrier.

I could really use some help locating a core with suitable dimensions. I think the perfect core would be would be 30"x7.5"x2.5". Also, let me know if you see any flaws with this idea (aside from monetary)?
    99 A4 1.8TQM Avant
    Stroked/Built/Elim71r/NS intake gasket/port matched head and mani/Big PNP/ECS pulley/FMIC/Relocated DV
    Full 3" stainless/relocated cat/Vibrant res & muf
    Neuspeed/Bilsteins/AWE DTS/17" Enkei/Bridgestones
    TT carriers/A8 rotors (front)/B5S4 (rear)/Goodridge hoses/PBR ceramic pads
    Rieger RS4 bumper/Painted rear valance/Valeo one-piece
    Facelift/Pioneer DA120 Apple Carplay/Infinity Reference (front/rear) (Bose deleted)

awaiting: side skirts/paint job

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    VEMS URS6, J.Moss Stg3 S4, Boosted Rover

Treadstone offers a nice variety of sizes

Veteran Member Four Rings Avant Nate's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Audi Allroad 6MT,1999 Yukon Denali, 1987 4Runner

Treadstone Tr18t
    99.5 1.8T QMS: GT2860RS .63 T3, PSI T3 Mani, Turbosmart 38mm EWG, Unitronic 415, Forge 007,Treadstone TR18 FMIC, Walbro e85 450, FSI coil conversion, 3" DIY Magnaflow/Dynomax VT exhaust
    Depo ecodes, DDM slim 6000k, VDO boost gauge, PLX AFR, Greddy profec B EBC,
    H&R sport springs, 034 rear sway, 034 rear diff carrier, A8 fronts,18x8 OZ Superleggera
    Next up E85, efr 7163 or gtx3071r?
    01 allroad 2.7t 6mt, GIAC stage 1

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '05 Volvo S60R, B5 A4 1.8TQM Avant

Treadstone cores are 3.5" with exception to the TR18T, which is out of stock. Additionally, I put in a simple request and they responded without an answer to my question. It will require me to trim the crash bar so I pretty much moved on from the idea of a TR18T.

Likely going to order the MAPerformace Fiesta intercooler and modify it to work.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    99 A4 1.8TQM Avant
    Stroked/Built/Elim71r/NS intake gasket/port matched head and mani/Big PNP/ECS pulley/FMIC/Relocated DV
    Full 3" stainless/relocated cat/Vibrant res & muf
    Neuspeed/Bilsteins/AWE DTS/17" Enkei/Bridgestones
    TT carriers/A8 rotors (front)/B5S4 (rear)/Goodridge hoses/PBR ceramic pads
    Rieger RS4 bumper/Painted rear valance/Valeo one-piece
    Facelift/Pioneer DA120 Apple Carplay/Infinity Reference (front/rear) (Bose deleted)

awaiting: side skirts/paint job