Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Passenger Aux Radiator Keeps Breaking

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi guys,

I have a 2007 B7 Audi S4. For the past few months ive been having an issue where my right side aux radiator keeps breaking, whether its cracking and gushing coolant or slowly leaking. It happens every two or three weeks or so. Its broken about 6 times and ive put a new Nissens radiator in each time. I thought it was the aux thermostat, so I deleted it and replaced it with a T pipe which helped keep the car running for about 2 months, but recently the radiator started leaking again. Strangely enough, its just that radiator, ive had no other issue with the cooling system at all. And it happens now when i let the car cool down- not while im driving. I'll drive it fine, then when i leave it and come back to it, it'll leak. The problems started right after I did a muffler delete which is probably unrelated but worth mentioning.

Im tired of changing radiators, and tired of having to get it towed for me to fix so please help me.

Senior Member Three Rings Velox's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    audi

Try oem, Nissens is supposed to be ok but my new nissens aux rad cracked after 4 months, bought a second hand oem haven't had a problem in 1.5 years now

Veteran Member Four Rings Mr. Corey's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audis

I've gone though two nissens AC compressors #junk!!! Time to get an oil cooler and get rid of that crappy aux situation.
    B6 Nogaro with lots of mods
    BUILD THREAD

Photography Website www.coreymaywalt.com

AZ Member #

Thanks, yeah ive literally gone through like 5 of em and they break every time. Had no problems with oem radiator, i was just wondering if there was a bigger underlying problem.

Senior Member Four Rings Terry.Reese's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 Audi Allroad 2.7 Biturbo V6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Corey View Post
    I've gone though two nissens AC compressors #junk!!! Time to get an oil cooler and get rid of that crappy aux situation.
    I just deleted mine without oil cooler.. hope I dont break something......
    Clarice

JHM intake spacers, DIY intake flapper mod, ported TB, heat wrap IM, 034 motor mounts, 15mm wheel spacers, CustomCAI, ZimbuTune, A8 D2 exhaust manifolds. soon to be VinnyS DP's, custom Catback straight pipe exhaust, magnaflow resonated xpipe. https://www.instagram.com/raudi.audi73/

Active Member One Ring Lesterine2004's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Just delete it. Its completely unnecessary. Has nothing to do with oil either.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    audi

Quote Originally Posted by Lesterine2004 View Post
    Has nothing to do with oil either.
    Huh? but the passenger aux side sole purpose is oil cooling right?

Depending on driving style / ambient temps I wouldn't feel ok to just delete it without replacing the cooling function.
    Last edited by Velox; 10-18-2018 at 05:32 AM.

AZ Member #

Dude... where are you getting this info from? Maybe on a4/s4 where there is an oil cooler connected to aux rad. But in rs4 its sole purpose is purely coolant; has zero to do with oil cooling. We have a decent size oil cooler lower front bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by Velox View Post
    Huh? but the passenger aux side sole purpose is oil cooling right?

Depending on driving style / ambient temps I wouldn't feel ok to just delete it without replacing the cooling function.

08 RS4

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    audi

Dude... where are you getting this info from? Maybe on a4/s4 where there is an oil cooler connected to aux rad. But in rs4 its sole purpose is purely coolant; has zero to do with oil cooling. We have a decent size oil cooler lower front bumper.

08 RS4
    He is talking about an S4 not an RS4, oil gets cooled when main t stat opens, so you have a base line of minimum 190f coolant which isn't ideal as it is, removing that extra cooling is just not smart imo.

Senior Member Two Rings PigDiesel54's Avatar
    AZ Member #

08 RS4
    Dude....read the original post

Sent from my SM-N950U using Audizine mobile app
    2006 Brilliant Red B7 S4 Avant 6MT
    2001 Cactus Green B5 S4 Avant 6MT
    2006 Brilliant Red B7 A4 2.0T Quattro Tiptronic

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by PigDiesel54 View Post
    Dude....read the original post

Sent from my SM-N950U using Audizine mobile app
    Lmao 🤦🏽*♂️. Well f me. Thought this waaas rs. Sorry.

08 RS4

Established Member Two Rings Cygnets's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 Audi S4, VW Jetta 1.9 TDI

Just do a delete. I don't have mine either, well I guess it's still there, just the middles cut out for cold air to run up to a custom airbox. No problems with temps or anything else.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    audi

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnets View Post
    No problems with temps or anything else.
    Did you measure the oil temps before and after. Did you measure oil temp when driving hard before and after?
    It's not like you'll get a check engine when you are running with too hot oil or the engine will run like shit.
    Even a few degrees higher oil temps shortens the oil life.
    Go higher and lubrication starts to suffer.
    So best case scenario you are shortening oil life by a negligible amount.
    Worst case scenario you are wearing the engine quicker
    I just don't understand why someone would worsen instead of improving something as important as engine's lubrication

AZ Member #

OP here, honestly id like to keep the radiator in place if possible, question is, why does it keep breaking? Is it just cuz Nissens is crap and i should sink the money in for OEM, or theres another problem to worry about? I just dont wanna keep towing the car and buying radiators lol

Established Member Two Rings triton6346's Avatar
    AZ Member #

That initial radiator...meaning the first one that broke and you had to replace....was OEM, right? Did it "break" in the same way as the Nissens units are doing each time?

AZ Member #

No, it was hit in a small accident involving a curb lol

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mrtuchi View Post
    No, it was hit in a small accident involving a curb lol
    I would say to test an OEM or if u really wanted to use one from a parts vehicle. Especially if you have had to change the part multiple times from this manufacturer.

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have an OEM b7 passenger side radiator from my car taking up space in my garage. Shoot me an offer....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by VinnysS4 View Post
    I have an OEM b7 passenger side radiator from my car taking up space in my garage. Shoot me an offer....

Im definitely in need of one and I can't drive the car until i get one. My budget is quite low though as ive spent hundreds of dollars on nissens radiators. How does 125-150ish sound? Is it new or used?

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mrtuchi View Post
    Im definitely in need of one and I can't drive the car until i get one. My budget is quite low though as ive spent hundreds of dollars on nissens radiators. How does 125-150ish sound? Is it new or used?
    I feel ya. It's a used one from a 2005.5 B7. I removed it to do a cold air Intake. 100k miles
    PM sent

1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"