Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings MMiklosz's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Audi A7 gear box malfunction issue

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello I just finished swapping out motors on my 3.0t a7 2012 and came across the gearbox malfunction error. I purchsed the car salvage to rebuild and got it all up and running but when I put the car in drive it it gives me gearbox malfunction you may continue driving. The car still moved forward and reverse fine but I canít drive it far since Iím missing a few parts. When scanning the car using vcds I got error p1892 selector lever position monitoring. When I try clearing it the car stutters for a quick second but clears the code. Once I put it in drive and move a foot the error pops back up on dash. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
    Attached Images

AZ Member #

Anyone ?

Established Member Two Rings 3g_bishi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Your gear shifter is bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 3g_bishi View Post
    Your gear shifter is bad.

On center console or on transmission?

AZ Member #

Middle console. It has a sensor built in it. I replaced for a different reason but the code is basically telling you the gear shifter is not good. I would reset it first and see if it comes back. Did you spill any liquid on that area?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 3g_bishi View Post
    Middle console. It has a sensor built in it. I replaced for a different reason but the code is basically telling you the gear shifter is not good. I would reset it first and see if it comes back. Did you spill any liquid on that area?

Iím building the car since it is salvage and the center console was taken apart, I thought I pieced it together correctly but Iíll check again. Iíve cleared the code multyiple times but it comes right back when I get into drive/reverse. Would this be the reason why tiptronic would not be working? When I going into side gears it still stays in D mode unlike my a4 b8.5 which would change to m1 and wonít let me change gears at all. I was thinking it needed a dsg adaptation but Iíll look under console first

AZ Member #

it is absolutely why itís not showing the tiptronic. You more then likely left something unplugged. There is 2 cables that plug into the gear shifter. One that comes out of the gear shifter going to the car, and one coming from the car going to the actual shifter