Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Audi A4 B6 FWD (FrontTrak) 5 Spd Transmission strength? (012 / 01W)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Good Morning,

Quick question. I've been searching VWVortex, Fortiude and a few other boards and calling around local speed shops but I can't see to find much info about the upper torque limit for the FWD 5 spd transmission in the A4 and VW Passat built around 2002-2004 (Code 012 / 01W). I read on the passatworld forum that one guy runs 400+hp set up (1.8T) and drag raced with slicks and had no issues after 3 years. Then I've read posts on other sites comparing the 01E and other Audi transmissions and a few posters saying the 012/01W is more of a light duty design (used on 1.8T and 2.8) but not designed for a lot of power.

I'm hoping someone can chime in with anything they might know about safe power levels you can run with this transmission. (trying to decide between GT2871 or GT3071 BT project) and I'm not sure if the extra power of a GT3071r with 1.8T will start striping gears and ruining snyros or not)

I don't plan on drag racing but I do some road track days.

Thanks

Registered Member Four Rings AUDIMAN33's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi A4, Porsche Cayenne S, Mercedes Benz S430 4matic

I thought FWD A4ís had CVTís no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings AudiA4_20T's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    10speed

Quote Originally Posted by AUDIMAN33 View Post
    I thought FWD A4ís had CVTís no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, plenty of manual FWD Audis

OP - how much power are you trying to make? The worst case scenario is going to the junkyard and picking up another B5/B6 FWD trans for cheap. Some people have tons of issues with these transmissions some dont.
    - Clint

Current: 05 B5.5 Passat 4motion 1.8T - Jfonz Tune, 034 HFC, Samco TIP waiting to go on: GTRS, 034 FMIC, 630cc Injectors, Bilstein / H&R Suspension
    Totaled: 04 DG B6 Cabby 1.8T - stock forever
    Gone: White '04 S4 2.7T - Stage 2+
    Gone : Fastest B6 A4 ever - 464awhp/12.1@116
    Gone : 05 DG B7 2.0TQ - Stage 1

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

AudiA4_20T,

I'm looking to make between 350-400 WHP on pump (closer to 350WHP). Aiming at the 3071R to get me there. My plan B is going 2871 and settling for 320 - 350WHP if I think the transmission isn't up to the task. using stage 4 clutch ect.

Yeah the junkyard trannys aren't too expensive for the FWD but I would prefer to match the turbo to what I think it can handle. Another negative is no LSD. I have pretty sticky 235 tires but after I talked to a local audi/VW tuner he said anything more than 350hp with FWD and no LSD and you are just struggling for traction so any more power than that is not really useful.

- Eric

Veteran Member Four Rings Nollywood's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 Avant 420-R, Toyota Runx 1.4 16V

Have you considered selling off your FWD B6 A4, and buying a quattro? Or if youíre really attached to your FWD, carrying out a quattro swap?

Unless youíre looking to run the car in a 2WD-only class, I canít understand why you would want to fight for traction with FWD. Because believe me, power is addictive, and youíll definitely want more.
    His:
    2003 B6 Audi A4 Avant Quattro Sport | 3.0 V6 | 6MT | Denim Blue Pearl | B6 S4 ďBlack OptikĒ Grille | Votex Kit | Black Leather - Part Out.

2012 B7 Seat Exeo ST Sport Tech | 2.0 TDI | 6MT | Phantom Black Pearl | LED DRLís | Bi-Xenons | LED Tails | LED RNS-E | AUX / iPod Input | Black Leather | Multi-Function Steering Wheel | Rear PDC.

Hers:
    2002 Toyota Runx |1.4L DOHC 16V Auto.