Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member Two Rings slobdogg's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Previous Owner Negligence, or faulty rims?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I am interested in a 2016 S7, of which there are not many to choose from within 500 miles of where I live (east coast). I have, however, found a nice one with a Carfax report indicating "Damage." I spoke to the dealership and they've confirm with the PO that this "Damage" was very minor, but he did have the bumper replaced because the paint-match wasn't good enough. So I'll leave well enough alone there.

However, I did get some extra information from the dealership (which serviced this car during its two year lease) and the following stands out:

09/07/2016: "Ran over something in the road. All wheels bent. Replaced left side tires and all wheels repaired"
    03/23/2017: "Right tire going flat all the time. Found screw in tire. Tire replaced."
    11/28/2017: "Customer states install 4 tires due to wear" (car has only 25k miles at this point)
    01/12/2018: "Rear tire is flat. Sharp rock found in outer wall"
    04/25/2018: "Replace RF tire due to bubble in sidewall. Customer statements all wheels are damaged. Correction; sublet repair null, possible sublet repair null" (not sure if those sublet repairs are bugs or audi-speak)
    07/03/2018: "Nail in right rear tire. Tire repaired"
    07/18/2018: "CS all four rims have damage. Correction: Rotate and balance wheels"
    08/07//2018: "Right front tire is flat. Replaced right front tire"

It may help to know that these are the 21" 5 spoke rims. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Would all of these recurring wheel/tire issues give you pause in buying this, or would you assume that it's owner negligence (or bad roads)?

FWIW it is only a fair deal for the car, which is being offered CPO.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

None of that would steer me away from buying that car... I would swap the wheels out with 20's and be done with it.. Not a huge fan of "repaired" wheels, the wheels could potentially be weaker after being repaired depending on the method(s) used to "repair" them..

Car has CPO status which means the suspension components are covered if any of them have been damaged from the hits the car has taken to bend the wheels.

In terms of CPO, I didnt think the S7 came with a 21" option. Doesn't the dealer need to bring the car to 100% stock status to have it declared CPO? If that's the case, I would tell the dealer you want the original 20" wheels that are supposed to be on the car. If 21" was an option, then disregard...
    Current Line-Up:
    2015 Audi S6 - RS7 Turbos, "Mike's" Catted Downpipes, SRM Intake, APR ECU & TCU, AMS Cooling System, H&R Module, 20 x 9 et38 & 21lbs each, 15% Ceramic Tint Front & Back, Xpel Ultimate (Full Front end, rockers, mirrors, door cups, B-Pillars), Opti-Coat Pro
    2012 VW Golf R - APR in-house build Stage 4
    2002 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster - Big Turbo
    1995 Camaro Z28 6 Speed - Just Bolt-Ons
    2008 Kawaski ZX-10R - Kawi Green

Registered Member Two Rings slobdogg's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 15 Phantom S6 View Post
    In terms of CPO, I didnt think the S7 came with a 21" option. Doesn't the dealer need to bring the car to 100% stock status to have it declared CPO? If that's the case, I would tell the dealer you want the original 20" wheels that are supposed to be on the car. If 21" was an option, then disregard...
    Thanks for the positive feedback. With regards to the wheels - It's funny you mention that because the listing explicitly states that the rims are a discontinued option. I've trolled every S7 listing in the nation (under $65k) and there are a total of 3 with these rims. One clearly had custom work done, the other is a private party, and this one is the third.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 RS7 Stage 1 APR; 2012 Porsche 911S Cabriolet Black Edition; 2015 Cayenne Diesel (DD)

The 21" rims on my RS7 make for a harsher ride but look amazing. You have to be more vigilant scanning the road for imperfections of any significance that may harm the shallower sidewalls on the tires on the larger rims.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I have 21s on my RS7. I agree with above go with 20 and enjoy!