Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Aluminum lwfw drivability ?? Steel worth double the price?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I need a fly wheel to go with my spec stage 3 clutch , and Iím hearing that aluminum flywheels suck donkey balls driving it daily and stop and go traffic .

Steel fly wheels are double the price are they really worth it ? Is the aluminum fly wheel so shitty to drive ?

I donít care about chatter!

Senior Member Three Rings Bob Marley's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by unvmy996 View Post
    So I need a fly wheel to go with my spec stage 3 clutch , and Iím hearing that aluminum flywheels suck donkey balls driving it daily and stop and go traffic .

Steel fly wheels are double the price are they really worth it ? Is the aluminum fly wheel so shitty to drive ?

I donít care about chatter!
    I've been running a Findanza LW aluminum for the first time since rebuild... I had the same concerns before hand as you.

Zero issues

I drive city stop n go daily

Go for it Findanza/034 Motors/Clutch Master

All fairly similar in cost & function... with the added bonus of a $40 friction plate replacement feature vs Steel requiring a resurface@ machine shop.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

My view is opposite having this happen to my fidanza:

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...t-comes-apart)

The argument about replaceable friction surface is a fallacy... because this very "feature" is also a source of problems because there is very poor heat convection between the insert and body of clutch which leads to overheated clutch disc when clutch is used in any launching.

Aluminum FWs are also mega loud in low RPMs and when "lugging" the engine there is a lot of rattle coming out of it. Steel single mass FW (from TTV) is just a perfect medium between aluminum and dual mass steel.

TTV steel single mass FWs rivals aluminum FWs in price department and completely nukes them when it comes to value (I think we are talking ~$400 for fidanza and ~$450 for TTV or so).

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I just did an 0A3 swap and got a TTV flywheel because I got frightened off by the pictures of Fidanza flywheels coming apart. Turns out I had a SPEC aluminum in the car for over 5 years that the P.O. had installed and I never knew it. Put 2 & 2 together after that and realized why the car always revved so quickly and had gear chatter. Flywheel I pulled out needs a friction ring but otherwise looks perfect. (Shameless plug - I've got it listed in classifieds...)
    LDRXN

Senior Member Three Rings Wide-66's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1966 Porsche 911 w/ 996 swap, 12í A7, 05í Allroad 6MT, 01í B5 S4 F21, 86í Coupe GT....many more

Quote Originally Posted by julex View Post
    My view is opposite having this happen to my fidanza:

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...t-comes-apart)

The argument about replaceable friction surface is a fallacy... because this very "feature" is also a source of problems because there is very poor heat convection between the insert and body of clutch which leads to overheated clutch disc when clutch is used in any launching.

Aluminum FWs are also mega loud in low RPMs and when "lugging" the engine there is a lot of rattle coming out of it. Steel single mass FW (from TTV) is just a perfect medium between aluminum and dual mass steel.

TTV steel single mass FWs rivals aluminum FWs in price department and completely nukes them when it comes to value (I think we are talking ~$400 for fidanza and ~$450 for TTV or so).
    +1 on this. Beyond the above I have seen a DD car with a jhm B7 setup fuse the clutch disk to the flywheel after only a few thousand miles. People often dont factor in the importance of material selection/coatings and the heat dissipation.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I honestly donít care about the chatter , just day to day drivability as itís my daily , Iím running a spec stage 3 6 puck I know there a bit grabby and I donít wanna keep slipping the clutch on stop and go

Senior Member Three Rings Bob Marley's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by unvmy996 View Post
    I honestly donít care about the chatter , just day to day drivability as itís my daily , Iím running a spec stage 3 6 puck I know there a bit grabby and I donít wanna keep slipping the clutch on stop and go
    I have a similar setup. SRM 6 puck with RS4 Pressure Plate & LWFW. Took me a couple miles to adjust to the feel, but no issues with slipping. Steep inclines can still be a challanges though. Not a lot of room for error

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A4 Avant, 05 Silver S4 2.7t swap

I had a fidanza before the TTV I have now. No difference in daily drivability as long as you donít care about chatter. For performance specs I would agree with Julex and frankly there is little difference in price. I would go TTV any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings christianb5s4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Personally, my favorite flywheel is the Clutchmasters Billet flywheel. That or the TTV are the best flywheels available for these cars. That said, my car came with a Fidanza FW and JHM clutch kit and have nothing bad to say about it after lord knows how much abuse it received before my ownership.
    Imola 2001 Stage 3 S4: 312K - 2.4sec FATs - Completely Refreshed/Built Motor - SRM K24s w/ Custom Turbosmart wastegates - Clutchmasters Stage 4 - Etspec - Cinesnow WG/Oil Lines - SRM V3 Intercoolers - AA built trans - 4:1 Diff - JHM Trio - 034 - H&R Coilovers - FCP - Bosch Motorsports - OZ Racing - SRM/SSAC exhaust - Tons of New OEM parts

2009 C6.5 A6 3.0T Prestige - stock, daily driver

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    stg 3 widebody, 1990 miata, '05 gsxr 1000

my fidanza's been fine, as a counterpoint. plenty of launching and tomfoolery. replaced the friction surface after my rs4 clutch burnt out, just cause I was there, it was perfectly fine after many hundreds of launches/clutchpops. k04s. No difference in daily, most of the chatter comes from the pucky clutches imho, happens on my pucky stock flywheel ls3. But I'd probably go TTV if I were you, cause only 5lbs and there's been failures on the fidanza as referenced.

But LWFW actually makes it better to drive, if you ask me. Quicker revs & therefore downshifts. Doesn't impact stop and go to the best of my senses... I mean I guess if you're on a hill, and a noob, the rev hang might be nice? I'm sure it plays a role, clearly, but like I said, in my experience, it's the clutch engagement duration (grabbiness) of the clutch that's the primary driver for the hundreds of cars I've felt chatter on.

Edit: Those responses to Julex's post in that thread were hillarious btw. People really don't like when you trash the product/manufacturer they bought. Failures happen, take it for what it is.
    Last edited by james 408; 10-12-2018 at 07:34 PM.

AZ Member #

The steel units are a solid one piece machined unit. Everything cut into the flywheel where as the aluminum ones have the starter ring welded on which is a well documented failure point and the friction surface is riveted or bolted on which is a 2nd piece that can fail.

With the single mass steel flywheels you definitely have more piece of mind. Theyíre more robust and can withstand much more abuse. Also at TTVís price point the quality canít be beat. Also 2-3 day delivery some times.

AZ Member #

Not only did Fidanza have problems but at one point the ring gear on 034ís aluminum flywheels have broken the welds as well.