Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    If I were you I wouldnít. If a mod doesnít map to your goal of what youíre trying to do Iíd avoid it. Plus, speaking from experience, just a tune makes these cars awesome and in my opinion perfect for most people. You can do a lot of things, but should you do it now is debatable. Iíd hold off, figure out what your ultimate realistic goal is with the car and move from there. Besides the fact that Iím DP now and donít really find a lot of areas where you can really stretch that kind of powerís legs.

Not to mention, I tracked my car after stage 1 and running a 12.6 with a stock clutch car with just a tune (and Iím not an awesome driver) I was convinced this car is plenty fast even by todayís standards and that weight.

Disclaimer/Cliff Notes: I was 19 once and it would be hard to not go DP but I can honestly say Iíd be the luckiest/happiest guy on earth with a stage 1 b8 s4 at that age.

Just my .02

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

YOLO. Do it!

Established Member Two Rings TristanT14's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Why are you saying larger crank pulley instead of dual pulley? Could you elaborate some more
    2014 Moonlight Blue Audi S4 Prestige
    Instagram @TristanTellone14

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Solarsuplex View Post
    I'd rather see you spend the money on dual pulley than buying more ugly shoes
    Lol I am a reseller

Established Member Three Rings MSq5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by TristanT14 View Post
    Why are you saying larger crank pulley instead of dual pulley? Could you elaborate some more
    Crank pulley is easier to install and can be swapped easier. They come in a huge variety of ratios from single pulley ratios equivalent to doing a supercharger pulley, through increasingly larger ratios that spin the supercharger way above "duel pulley." They also increase contact area with the belt rather than decreasing, as with a s/c pulley getting smaller. Gripping the belt more securely is a good thing.
    2017 Q5 3.0T S-Line | Brilliant Black | EPL Stage 2 93 octane tune | JHM 179mm crank pulley | aFe Pro 5R (part#10-10121) filter in "modified" stock air box | 034 silicone throttle body hose

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MSq5 View Post
    Crank pulley is easier to install and can be swapped easier. They come in a huge variety of ratios from single pulley ratios equivalent to doing a supercharger pulley, through increasingly larger ratios that spin the supercharger way above "duel pulley." They also increase contact area with the belt rather than decreasing, as with a s/c pulley getting smaller. Gripping the belt more securely is a good thing.
    I see, what ratio would you go if you were to do this?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by raudiace4 View Post
    You'll eventually blow your cats on regular stage 2 anyways.
    IMO 183 or 187, as it is a good ratio by itself, and one that can satisfy any desires to go DP. But, you can always change out the ring size on the crankshaft pulley if you go with something like a Fluidampr, to approach a DP ratio.
    2012 Ice Silver S4 | DSG | Prestige | Unitronic Stage 2 | 187mm Fluidampr | AWE Touring | Eurocode Sways | 034 Insert | CR-15 | Forge Charge Cooler | ECS Carbon Intake | Fuellabs Inline Filter

AZ Member #

I see, what ratio would you go if you were to do this?
    The basic single pulley Stage 2 crank pulley would be in the 179-183mm range. That would match the ratio of the typical 57.5MM supercharger pulley. Save money and go with one of the one piece solid lightweight crank pulleys. Should be able to find one in the $300-350 range. Especially if you wait for the upcoming "Black Friday" type sales.

You can often do this from below without having to put the vehicle in "service position" by extending the front of the car out away from the engine. I did the swap on 45 minutes working from below. Might take some an hour, some as little as 30 minutes, if you have everything on hand when you start.
    2017 Q5 3.0T S-Line | Brilliant Black | EPL Stage 2 93 octane tune | JHM 179mm crank pulley | aFe Pro 5R (part#10-10121) filter in "modified" stock air box | 034 silicone throttle body hose

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    10 S4, 14 328d, 14 MDX

Quote Originally Posted by Morritse View Post
    3k in two years? Fuck me. I've dumped like $8k since March.
    I think I dumped 8k in March alone, lol. I love this car but getting it running properly when going beyond hardware recommendations made by the tuners is a PITA, and that's what all the fastest cars are doing. I'm 26 with my own home and a nice salary and a couple cars(I don't use the s4 for daily transportation) and its starting to get a little excessive. I could not recommend going dual pulley to a teenager. Do stage 2, and maybe add a ported blower/throttle body and some methanol. That's about as far as you ought to be taking it before things have the potential to get really expensive, really fast.

AZ Member #

The basic single pulley Stage 2 crank pulley would be in the 179-183mm range. That would match the ratio of the typical 57.5MM supercharger pulley. Save money and go with one of the one piece solid lightweight crank pulleys. Should be able to find one in the $300-350 range. Especially if you wait for the upcoming "Black Friday" type sales.

You can often do this from below without having to put the vehicle in "service position" by extending the front of the car out away from the engine. I did the swap on 45 minutes working from below. Might take some an hour, some as little as 30 minutes, if you have everything on hand when you start.
    Thanks so much! recommend any specific pulley?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GandalfTheIbis View Post
    I think I dumped 8k in March alone, lol. I love this car but getting it running properly when going beyond hardware recommendations made by the tuners is a PITA, and that's what all the fastest cars are doing. I'm 26 with my own home and a nice salary and a couple cars(I don't use the s4 for daily transportation) and its starting to get a little excessive. I could not recommend going dual pulley to a teenager. Do stage 2, and maybe add a ported blower/throttle body and some methanol. That's about as far as you ought to be taking it before things have the potential to get really expensive, really fast.
    I dont want this to become a money pit, so I am thinking I wont go DP

Senior Member Four Rings Thurston's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Dual pulley is overrated. Extra torque is nice but it's overrated imo

Senior Member Three Rings dlo93's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1998 Audi a4 1.8t, 2012 Volkswagen GTI

Get the dual pulley with upgraded cooling you wont be disappointed i guarantee it
    2014 phantom black s4//20% tints//Carbon imports low kick spoiler//APR Stage 2+ dual pulley ECU and TCU//APR CPS//Roc-Euro Intake//AWE touring with non-res downpipes//

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    í18 F150 Ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by Thurston View Post
    Dual pulley is overrated. Extra torque is nice but it's overrated imo
    I went from stage 2 to DP with cooling recently and couldnít be happier with my decision. I personally, wouldnít call it overrated.

Senior Member Four Rings Thurston's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by EAFLO88 View Post
    I went from stage 2 to DP with cooling recently and couldnít be happier with my decision. I personally, wouldnít call it overrated.
    yeah that's true it's probably not fair to call it overrated, i did enjoy it as well and i'm willing to recant a bit regarding how strong the word overrated is.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Thatís what Iíd like to know too. And can GIAC stage 2 software accommodate the larger throttle body and ported supercharger.

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Two Rings John@IE's Avatar
    AZ Member #

So far we've had APR and 034 customers swap over from their DP tunes to ours, and each time they switched, our tune was faster than their previous. We've got multiple EPL customers about to make the switch, and one Unitronic making the switch when he gets enough for it.

It's hard not looking biased, but I really recommend you taking a look at our software before anyone else.

https://www.performancebyie.com/audi...oftware-tuning
    John Tetzlaff
    Live Fast, Buy Fun
    www.performancebyie.com
    Phone: 801-484-2021
    Email: john@performancebyie.com

Veteran Member Four Rings bhvrdr's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by John@IE View Post
    So far we've had APR and 034 customers swap over from their DP tunes to ours, and each time they switched, our tune was faster than their previous. We've got multiple EPL customers about to make the switch, and one Unitronic making the switch when he gets enough for it.

It's hard not looking biased, but I really recommend you taking a look at our software before anyone else.

Can you explain what makes your tune faster than apr? Honest curiosity. I get the 034 as i saw some logs but specifically apr. Thanks

2010 Audi A4 Avant 6AT - Unitronic Tuned - Bone Stock Hardware
    13.665 at 97.71mph - 93 octane - +1250DA
    Gone:
    2013 Audi S5 DSG - Unitronic Stage 2++ ECU & TCU, 3.17pr, Revo Charge Cooler, CTS Turbo Intake, ST60 380mm BBK
    11.482 at 118.70mph - 97 octane - +465DA
    --------------------------
    2016 A6 -- 2015 S4 -- 2009 A4 -- 2004 S4 -- 2006 A4 -- 2003 A4 -- 2000 A4

Veteran Member Four Rings KRp220's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by z_curtis_s4 View Post
    Thatís what Iíd like to know too. And can GIAC stage 2 software accommodate the larger throttle body and ported supercharger.
    rumor is that they're working on it
    CURRENT 2013 S4 // ESTORIL BLUE // 6MT // RS BUMPER // GIAC STG 2+ 3.2 PR // FORGE CC // AWE TOURING // ROC EURO // KW HAS // BC FORGED HCA381-F // PSS 265/30/20 // AK // 034 MOUNTS // SB STAGE 3 CLUTCH // CR 15
    + tints, sports diff, j-codes, Akebono pads, SS clutch line...
    GONE 2010 S4 // QUARTZ GREY // 6MT // GIAC STG2 // AWE TRACK // ROC EURO // 034 TRANS MOUNT // H&R OE's // AG M610 FF 19x8.5 // + random stuff

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by raudiace4 View Post
    You'll eventually blow your cats on regular stage 2 anyways.
    If I had to guess, it'd be more aggressive timing and fueling, more aggressive cooling parameters, and less reliance on ECU corrections.
    2012 Ice Silver S4 | DSG | Prestige | Unitronic Stage 2 | 187mm Fluidampr | AWE Touring | Eurocode Sways | 034 Insert | CR-15 | Forge Charge Cooler | ECS Carbon Intake | Fuellabs Inline Filter

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by John@IE View Post

If I am going DP I might go with you guys not sure yet on the whole situation. You quoted me around $2200 with out the cable I think so its very expensive compared to going DP for cheaper with Unitronic. I dont know what I am going to do yet.

AZ Member #

Thanks so much! recommend any specific pulley?

- - - Updated - - -

I dont want this to become a money pit, so I am thinking I wont go DP
    My choice is in the signature line below. JHM 179mm one piece lightweight. They have a great reputation for quality and performance. They often cost a little more than some other brands, depending on when companies put things on sale. I think CTS Turbo has the lowest price right now, but there are some reports of quality issues. I don't know if those are merely cosmetic or functional. Some of those pulleys have arrived damaged. They may be fine, I just don't know.

Whichever company you use, it should come with the required pulley bolts and a new larger belt.

You will want to read the threads here on installation. It is pretty straight forward, but does require one driver bit that you might have to go buy, an M10 (10mm) "triple square" (12 sided) driver bit for the stock crank pulley bolts. VW/Audi use a lot of metric triple square bits just about everywhere. It's cheap to get the M10 triple square bit at just about any auto parts store, but you simply cannot do the job without one.

One other reason to do this is that you are doing is replacing a failure prone part: The OEM pulley is a two piece design laminated together with rubber between the two parts. They tend to delaminate over time. A one piece pully cannot have that happen.

Senior Member Three Rings seandon_792's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If I am going DP I might go with you guys not sure yet on the whole situation. You quoted me around $2200 with out the cable I think so its very expensive compared to going DP for cheaper with Unitronic. I dont know what I am going to do yet.
    Thatís about average. Unitronic dp is about 2000 and APR is around the same range. Regardless of who you go with a decent dp setup is at least 3k between tunes and cooling. Even more if you get your tcu tuned for the dsg guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Yeah ik, I already have Stage 1+ Uni w their tcu. I was just saying itís like $1700 more if i was to change to IE

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by KRp220 View Post
    rumor is that they're working on it
    This is great news. I hope the tune comes out sooner rather than later to accommodate a ported blower and Bigger throttlebody.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I went from bone stock to APR dual pulley with APR CPS cooling and couldnt be happier. So far i put 3.5k very hard miles on the car and it hasnt skipped a beat. I would go straight to dual pulley no questions asked.
    2014 phantom black s4//20% tints//Carbon imports low kick spoiler//APR Stage 2+ dual pulley ECU and TCU//APR CPS//Roc-Euro Intake//AWE touring with non-res downpipes//

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dlo93 View Post
    I went from bone stock to APR dual pulley with APR CPS cooling and couldnt be happier. So far i put 3.5k very hard miles on the car and it hasnt skipped a beat. I would go straight to dual pulley no questions asked.
    No questions asked? Question asked: Straight to dual pulley even without cooling upgrade? Or did you mean straight to DP, provided you also upgrade cooling?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

No questions asked? Question asked: Straight to dual pulley even without cooling upgrade? Or did you mean straight to DP, provided you also upgrade cooling?
    I clearly wrote ""from bone stock to APR dual pulley with APR CPS cooling"" yes cooling is a must

Established Member Three Rings DufraineMK6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Monsoon S4 6MT

Damn your 19 with a b8.5? If you have the few K to spend I say do it but do it right. Iím stage 2 and itís slow but itís hard for me to spend the money for dp Especially since Iíll need a clutch. But the patience will pay off. Worst case is you blow your motor but thats super rare. Cats are almost a promise to fail.

14 S4 6MT - Sport Diff / H&R Street Performance Coilovers / CW Pro Stage 2 (6-1) 93/E85 Mix / JHM 179mm Crank Pulley (1300mm 7 Rib Belt) / ECS Tuning Flush Kit 10mm F & 12.5mm R / 034 Motorsports Intake Tube W/ AFE Pro Dry Filter / USP Stainless Steel Clutch Line / AWE Touring 102mm Stock Downpipes / Eurocode Trans Mount

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    10 S4, 14 328d, 14 MDX

Cats are a few hundred to replace with test pipes and then could be close to $1000 in labor to replace depending on your local shop situation. I'll say it again, only go dual pulley if you have the income to comfortably afford this car.

AZ Member #

Cats are a few hundred to replace with test pipes and then could be close to $1000 in labor to replace depending on your local shop situation. I'll say it again, only go dual pulley if you have the income to comfortably afford this car.
    Yeah I was looking at test pipes, my shop by me Elite Motorsport in Farmindale NY quoted me "around $300-$500" so I am not sure if thats just a lie since I hear many people saying around $800-$1200.

Senior Member Three Rings awwturbo's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 VW Passat Komfort Wagon, 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale

Yeah I was looking at test pipes, my shop by me Elite Motorsport in Farmindale NY quoted me "around $300-$500" so I am not sure if thats just a lie since I hear many people saying around $800-$1200.
    Test pipes cost me $400 plus $1,200 in labor. Magnaflow resonated x-pipe muffler $110 and $160 to install. Mopar exhaust dampers were $50. The o2 spacers were $30 for two. And I'm still not happy with my exhaust. Next spring it'll be JHM's catted downpipes for $1,300 that hopefully will complete the exhaust...
    [2012 Audi S4 Prestige | S-tronic | Moonlight Blue | Black Nappa Leather | Sport Diff | Titanium Package | IE Stage 2 DP tune & DSG tune | AWE Coldfront System | JHM Race Pipes | Magnaflow 11385 muffler | AEM V2 water/meth kit | CTS 57.02mm S/C Pulley | JHM 179mm Crank Pulley | ECS Luft-Technik Intake | CR-15 Brace | H&R OE Sport Springs | 034 Trans Insert | ECS rear diff mount]

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    10 S4, 14 328d, 14 MDX

If you decide to go that route, get it in writing.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    10 S4, 14 328d, 14 MDX

Quote Originally Posted by awwturbo View Post
    Test pipes cost me $400 plus $1,200 in labor. Magnaflow resonated x-pipe muffler $110 and $160 to install. Mopar exhaust dampers were $50. The o2 spacers were $30 for two. And I'm still not happy with my exhaust. Next spring it'll be JHM's catted downpipes for $1,300 that hopefully will complete the exhaust...
    Iíve got to echo that. I have test pipes into the milltek valvesonic exhaust and Iíll likely add a magnaflow 11386 and the mopar dampers to my downpipes to get things down to a more normal level.

AZ Member #

Iíve got to echo that. I have test pipes into the milltek valvesonic exhaust and Iíll likely add a magnaflow 11386 and the mopar dampers to my downpipes to get things down to a more normal level.

Why do test pipes make exhaust sound so bad? Also has anyone heard an AWE touring with non resonated downpipes and test pipes? lol

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    10 S4, 14 328d, 14 MDX

Why do test pipes make exhaust sound so bad? Also has anyone heard an AWE touring with non resonated downpipes and test pipes? lol

The cats act as a resonator/muffle in the OEM exhaust. Once removed there are some pretty awful resonance frequencies. I notice them most between 2400-3400. Others say it starts lower around 1800 on stock exhaust. A handful of guys have added the magnaflow 11385 to their stock downpipes and claimed that it quiets down the frequencies. Unfortunately theyíve also noted that the magnaflow resonator doesnít seem to stand up to the abuse of our engine and therefore its effects might be temporary. Vibrant ultra quiets have also been thrown around as a solution to the frequencies.

Basically, going catless results in both rasp and drone.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

I'm just going to get straight to it. I am 19 years old with a B8.5, I don't know a lot about cars to be honest only how to maintain them and keep them in good condition. I am stage 1+ Unitronic as of right now and I was looking to go stage 3 dual pulley with APR CPS. A bunch of people are telling me to do it and a lot of people are telling me not to. The only reason I have been told not to is bc "I dont know what I am getting into". This is somewhat true as I dont know much about these cars but I want that power!! What does everyone think? What do I NEED to KNOW when going dual pulley? I have read sooooo sooo many threads on this. Only thing I can't wrap my head around is the cats and the 02 censors. Please let me know what you think, what you know and also so advice/suggestions. Thanks!
    I wish i was 19 and had an S4. I would have likely wrapped it around a tree. I instead had a Ford Bronco II, it was only on two wheels a few times.

--dillon
    1998.5 A4 2.0TQM ADR/058, Custom ME5 tune by 034, ABA 92.8 stroke forged crank, Scat rods, JE Pistons (83mm/8.5:1), Schrick cams, Supertech springs and retainers, inconel exhaust valves (+1mm), Spa T3 mani with a Precision 5557E-B, 034 3inch exhaust, etc, etc, etc. 034 featured user

2012 S4 Prestige, Titanium, Monsoon gray metallic, DSG. 034 ECU and TCU tunes and other bits.

Active Member Three Rings Morritse's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 2 b8 a5 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    I wish i was 19 and had an S4. I would have likely wrapped it around a tree. I instead had a Ford Bronco II, it was only on two wheels a few times.

--dillon
    I'm 21 no accidents and only 1 ticket so far (crossing double yellows)

🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🏼🤞🤞
    Dual pulley e85 w/ TCU tune (EPL)
    Full custom exhaust (Catless)
    Jokerz ported blower
    Brembo BBK
    APR CPS cooling system
    USP intake
    034 front and rear sway bars Transmission inserts, cr 15 bar strut brace, density control arms
    Koni sport shocks with Eibach lowering springs
    VMR v804 Wrapped in PSS (255/19/35)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12