Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings A4 Quattro's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Spiders, wheels, and a heat gun.

I need some electrical gurus

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I bought an '02 B6 pretty cheap to daily this winter while my other one is in storage. With cheap cars comes problems, as should be expected. One of the previous owners did lots of "upgrades" including eBay headlights and taillights. In the month or so I've owned it, I've been undoing basically all the shitty mods, and getting this car to the point of being a solid daily driver. This is where my question comes in. One of the mods previously done was wiring for a sub. The sub was taken by the previous owner, but basically everything else is still there. They discovered after their wiring was complete that the radio would kill the battery if the car was off overnight. To combat this, they replaced the radio fuse with a "killswitch", which just cuts all power to the radio, and has to be flipped when you're not using the radio. It's basically a second power button. It's shitty, half assed, and I want to undo it. They also ran an additional fuse next to the radio fuse, in the reserved section. I pulled both the killswitch and the extra fuse and let the car sit overnight. The following day, the car was hesitant to start, but still fired up. Today, the car didn't even have enough power to try to start.

Any insight on how the radio wiring should look, and what might be pulling extra power, even when the car is off? I still need to pull the radio out, but I'm woried it's going to be a mess of jenky wiring, and spliced/cut shit.

I'm sure it's related to the garbage wiring, but the AM/FM radio doesn't work at all, only the tape/aux cord work. Depending what I find behind the radio, I might just grab a new one from a junk yard the next time I go.

The car is an '02 1.8T if that's useful to know.
    Hey kid, you wanna buy some wheels?
    Authorized dealer for:
    Avant Garde -
    Rotiform -
    SevenK -
    VMR -
    And more!
    Check out: www.elitefitment.com

Stalk me on Instagram: @broken_stancecar

Established Member Two Rings ChanceA4Parks's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Get a digital voltage meter and do a parasitc draw test first. Make sure the battery is fully charged. Look online for instructions if you aren't sure how to perform this test. Its easy and extremely effective at finding a draw hidden somewhere. Whatever the previous owner did can be reversed. Ive never had a car I couldnt get back to oem quality after someone botched it.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Audizine mobile app

Established Member Two Rings jj94tt's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Aftermarket head unit?
    2005 A4 B6 3.0L 6MT USP Ocean Blue

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Wow. That sounds super janky.

In for pics of the horror behind the radio.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    2006 Passion Red Volvo V50 T5 AWD 6MT
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

Veteran Member Four Rings A4 Quattro's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Spiders, wheels, and a heat gun.

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceA4Parks View Post
    Get a digital voltage meter and do a parasitc draw test first. Make sure the battery is fully charged. Look online for instructions if you aren't sure how to perform this test. Its easy and extremely effective at finding a draw hidden somewhere. Whatever the previous owner did can be reversed. Ive never had a car I couldnt get back to oem quality after someone botched it.

I'll look into it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jj94tt View Post
    Aftermarket head unit?
    Nope. Stock.

Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post
    Wow. That sounds super janky.

In for pics of the horror behind the radio.
    Deal. I'll post pictures when I pull it out.
    Hey kid, you wanna buy some wheels?
    Authorized dealer for:
    Avant Garde -
    Rotiform -
    SevenK -
    VMR -
    And more!
    Check out: www.elitefitment.com

Stalk me on Instagram: @broken_stancecar

Veteran Member Four Rings fR3ZNO's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceA4Parks View Post

I would recommend this video. Great on explaining how to perform a draw test on cars like ours. Helped me find a parasitic draw on a factory head unit that was killing my battery overnight.
    "If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche

Established Member Two Rings jj94tt's Avatar
    AZ Member #

They probably put more effort into that dumb kill-switch solution than it would have taken to just sort out the problem.

Note: I have no experience with single-din radios or wiring; the following applies to double-din (maybe single-din?).

I bet it has something to do with the signal the radio uses to determine that the ignition is off. Most other cars of that era, required that the ignition be in the acc or on position for the radio to function, but my B6 allows you to turn the radio on and it will play for some amount of time before shutting down automatically. The RNS-e is even more sophisticated, powering up to establish GPS link when the car is unlocked or the doors are opened (no screen or lights). I think it also consumes some power in a standby mode for a short time after the car is shut off. Anyway, the point is that the radio is not on the ignition circuit. I bet the radio is keeping the amplifier powered up for some reason... or the amp is wired such that the radio is not controlling it anymore.

Stock amp?
    2005 A4 B6 3.0L 6MT USP Ocean Blue