Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings ALAN12186's Avatar
    AZ Member #

reservoir upgrade

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I've done some searching and cant really find the answer. I'm looking to add an additional coolant reservoir but not divorce the system. I was looking at the PLM reservoir but from the install manual it is mounted on the passenger side as it works with there cooler. I currently have the APR V2 CPS and don't think the PLM will work with this setup as both hoses are on the drivers side. Can I run the AWE or similar reservoir? how would it be plumbed? any help is appreciated.
    13 S4/6mt/Sport Diff/MMI/B&O/APR Stg2+ Ultra,SC & 187MM Crank Pulley,Throttle Body & CPS V2/APR Intake/Milltek Res GT100/Tampa Auto HF Cats/AG M580 19x9.5/BO Main & Fog Grilles/E Codes/20% tint/Wrapped Trim & Diffuser/P3-Vidi Track Pack/Bilstein B12 & H&R OE Springs/EBC Red Pads,ECS Slotted Rotors & Stainless Lines F&R/Brembo Calipers/CR-15/H&R 10MM F&R/034 Sway/Moog Links/ECS Drivetrain Mounts/Eurocode Krez/ECS Clutch Line/034 Trans & Sub Mount/SB STG 3 Clutch/USP Slave/CI High Spoiler/ECS SS/

Veteran Member Four Rings B18b1ex's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ALAN12186 View Post
    I've done some searching and cant really find the answer. I'm looking to add an additional coolant reservoir but not divorce the system. I was looking at the PLM reservoir but from the install manual it is mounted on the passenger side as it works with there cooler. I currently have the APR V2 CPS and don't think the PLM will work with this setup as both hoses are on the drivers side. Can I run the AWE or similar reservoir? how would it be plumbed? any help is appreciated.
    What is really to be gained by doing this if you donít divorce?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings bhvrdr's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You could do this but out of curiosity why would you want to do this? I only ask because if you dont want to divorce the system you technically already have a reservoir. Its the coolant reservoir in your car. I may be missing something though which is why I ask. The plumbing is pretty simple in our setup. Just google the 3.0TFSI self study guide and you'll get blowups of it. Once you get the bumper off you can see it fine though what you want to do.

Mike

2010 Audi A4 Avant 6AT - Unitronic Tuned - Bone Stock Hardware
    13.665 at 97.71mph - 93 octane - +1250DA
    Gone:
    2013 Audi S5 DSG - Unitronic Stage 2++ ECU & TCU, 3.17pr, Revo Charge Cooler, CTS Turbo Intake, ST60 380mm BBK
    11.482 at 118.70mph - 97 octane - +465DA
    --------------------------
    2016 A6 -- 2015 S4 -- 2009 A4 -- 2004 S4 -- 2006 A4 -- 2003 A4 -- 2000 A4

AZ Member #

I understand I already basically have this setup however I simply want to add additional cooling capacity to the system. That's exactly what the PLM setup does but I just cant utilize their reservoir on my setup. I do not want to divorce the system as you cannot tell if you have a coolant leak. Also correct me if I'm wrong but has divorcing the system actually proven to lower temps?
    13 S4/6mt/Sport Diff/MMI/B&O/APR Stg2+ Ultra,SC & 187MM Crank Pulley,Throttle Body & CPS V2/APR Intake/Milltek Res GT100/Tampa Auto HF Cats/AG M580 19x9.5/BO Main & Fog Grilles/E Codes/20% tint/Wrapped Trim & Diffuser/P3-Vidi Track Pack/Bilstein B12 & H&R OE Springs/EBC Red Pads,ECS Slotted Rotors & Stainless Lines F&R/Brembo Calipers/CR-15/H&R 10MM F&R/034 Sway/Moog Links/ECS Drivetrain Mounts/Eurocode Krez/ECS Clutch Line/034 Trans & Sub Mount/SB STG 3 Clutch/USP Slave/CI High Spoiler/ECS SS/

AZ Member #

I understand I already basically have this setup however I simply want to add additional cooling capacity to the system. That's exactly what the PLM setup does but I just cant utilize their reservoir on my setup. I do not want to divorce the system as you cannot tell if you have a coolant leak. Also correct me if I'm wrong but has divorcing the system actually proven to lower temps?
    Gotcha that provides more clarity.

The PLM reservoir is a large tank that circulates the coolant and sits under the passenger side headlight in the fenderwell. So it is providing more capacity. The AWE and Revo and other smaller reservoirs that sit up top on the front drivers side of the engine bay are very small and add very little capacity. If you run the system non divorced you'd also end up not circulating coolant through it and instead using it as an overflow tank which again gives very little real added capacity.

I'd either divorce it or i'd just plumb in the big PLM where it belongs. It doesnt matter that you have the APR CPS. Its still a heat exchanger with an input and output. Just buy 6 feet of 3/4" heater hose and possible a 180 degree bend section of 3/4" heater hose and plumb it up just like its a B8 version heat exchanger.

I wouldnt worry too much about divorcing and lack of coolant warning. I've hooked up secondary coolant sensors into my divorced loops before but it was being extra cautious. When is the last time you really ever dumped all your coolant out of your car? Not often. If you worry you may not notice a leak in the intercooler or something just check the reservoir every couple days.

I do think divorcing is probably good for a couple degrees. Not huge but maybe a tiny bit and most of us are fighting for every degree to avoid hitting 65c IATs. The other thing I like about divorced is it is easy to run 95% distilled with water wetter in the summer for you up north guys. It will make a huge difference doing this and then in winter time just drain some of that little loop and put your g13 back in.

Mike

Gone:
    2013 Audi S5 DSG - Unitronic Stage 2++ ECU & TCU, 3.17pr, Revo Charge Cooler, CTS Turbo Intake, ST60 380mm BBK

AZ Member #

Thanks a lot for the information. I'm going to try to run the PLM in line with my APR setup. I will do some logging before and after to see what kind of differences I see and I will share my findings.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Hey , Iíd like to ask few more questions . Not too highjack the thread, I thought my knowledge would suffice based on what i read so far.

Mike, you mentioned by divorcing the system, it allows you to run different coolant types. Is that not feisable when using the stock coolant pump? I went ahead and ordered the merc heat exchanger .

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Gkit19986 View Post
    Hey , Iíd like to ask few more questions . Not too highjack the thread, I thought my knowledge would suffice based on what i read so far.

Mike, you mentioned by divorcing the system, it allows you to run different coolant types. Is that not feisable when using the stock coolant pump? I went ahead and ordered the merc heat exchanger .
    Sure you can as far as I know. In the old days people would post about some blobbind that would happen with water wetter and g12 mixes but I dont recall this in recent times.

Regardless i'd try not to mix too much g13 anyways in if you are trying to use water wetter and distilled. It just take away from the performance.

ITs my understanding the water wetter "should" provide the lubrication and anti corrosion you need. I never had an issue but dont quote me on it. Maybe others who have run it awhile can chime in?

I liked divorcing though because it does at least eliminate any of that concern. At least you know you are only having a non OEM mix in one loop where theres really not much to muck up anyways in the SC loop.

Mike

Gone:

Veteran Member Four Rings theweebabyseamus's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I run water and Purple Ice in my loop. It may be fine to mix coolant and additives but I read enough bad stories on gumming, mostly from WW, that I just decided to run the straight water. When we get to the point here where we get our occasional freezing temps Iíll flush it and run 15-20% antifreeze.

AZ Member #

There is also the merc racing reservoir as well. I picked it up and have been running it the past couple months to divorce my APR CPS. I'll try to snap some pictures tonight when I get home.
    2014 Estoril Blue S4: [DSG] APR Ultracharged - Dual Pulley (57.75mm & 187mm), APR TCU tune, Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers, AWE Touring Cat-Back with Resonated Downpipes, JHM Test Pipes, ECS Intake, Divorced APR CPS (Heat Exchanger)

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    There is also the merc racing reservoir as well. I picked it up and have been running it the past couple months to divorce my APR CPS. I'll try to snap some pictures tonight when I get home.
    Could you? The thing about the merc res that its currently out of stock. I got so impatient and made an appointment to install my DP next week, my merc wouldnít arrive till the end of October and didnít even wait any longer for the resovoir to arrive.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Gkit19986 View Post
    Could you? The thing about the merc res that its currently out of stock. I got so impatient and made an appointment to install my DP next week, my merc wouldnít arrive till the end of October and didnít even wait any longer for the resovoir to arrive.
    Here is how mine looks installed. I've switched over to G13 because winter is coming and we get below freezing.

20181011_190629.jpg20181011_190531.jpg20181011_190546.jpg
    2014 Estoril Blue S4: [DSG] APR Ultracharged - Dual Pulley (57.75mm & 187mm), APR TCU tune, Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers, AWE Touring Cat-Back with Resonated Downpipes, JHM Test Pipes, ECS Intake, Divorced APR CPS (Heat Exchanger)