Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings luvsspeed's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 S4

Downpipe question

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I finally decided to install down pipes that I've had sitting in my garage for 7 months. I am having an issue with the clamps that mate them to the catback. Both are necked down to the stock diamater. The stock clamps work fine on the catback end, but are slightly too small for the downpipes. Now the new downpipes came with new clamps and fit the downpipes fine but are slightly to big for the catback. This should be simple, but I'm a lilttle stumped. Should I be looking for new clamps or can I stretch out the stock ones?

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I would have the stock cat back ends opened up a smidge to fit the DPs. If you have access to an impact and a tube stretcher, that should make quick work of it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 S4

Thanks for the input. I dont have an impact gun, but where can I get a tube stretcher from? The caback isn't stock, but I guess at worse I can take the xpipe off and take it to a shop for that.

AZ Member #

You can get one at harbor freight or most parts places. You get what you pay for. Don't try to use It with a hand wrench. It will never work.

1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 S4

Thanks for the heads up

AZ Member #

Have you actually measured it to see what both pupes true size are?

My build log

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 S4

Honestly I hadn't. I didn't even think to. I will more than likely do that on Sunday as I'm off. I think I'm going to try to stretch the clamp, before I start trying to modify any pipes. I only need like a tenth of a inch or less.