Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Test Pipes

Established Member Two Rings TristanT14's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Test Pipes

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Whats every ones thoughts on getting test pipes to replace the cats? I will be going dual pulley soon. Any recommendations on which set of test pipes to go with (please include a link). Also would you guys think its better to have the cats replaced the same time I am getting DP installed or should I wait until my cats are done?
    2014 Moonlight Blue Audi S4 Prestige
    Instagram @TristanTellone14

Established Member Two Rings curr0138's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Volvo XC-60 T6 3.0L

After DP I went with eurocode test pipes and installed magnaflow highflow cats on my Borla downpipes for lower EGT where the oem piggy resonators would have been. The setup has held up quite well for the last 7k miles and sounds nice.

CEL went away after APRís dp testpipe file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    APR Dual Pulley | PLM Heat Exchanger | Roc-Euro Intake | Borla Cat back Exhaust | 20" TSW Bronze Nurburgring Wheels | Continental DWS AS 255/35/20 | 3G+ MMI + 034 Chassis Brace | 034 Transmission Mount | USP SS Clutch Line | RS4 Front Grill | B8.5 Pedals |

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings Jake@JHM's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MK7-GTI-APR-STG2-Grand-Cherokee-R6-Raven-IRON-1250

Quote Originally Posted by TristanT14 View Post
    Whats every ones thoughts on getting test pipes to replace the cats? I will be going dual pulley soon. Any recommendations on which set of test pipes to go with (please include a link). Also would you guys think its better to have the cats replaced the same time I am getting DP installed or should I wait until my cats are done?
    Have have some in stock and ready to ship: https://jhmotorsports.com/exhaust-ra...7-a7-3-0t.html

Cats don't last long on these cars once you get to a certain power level. However we also have a solution for that which puts the cats further downstream if you still want cats: https://jhmotorsports.com/exhaust-do...-4-2l-fsi.html

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Test pipes make the exhaust very raspy sounding. If you already have an aftermarket exhaust with rasp then it will only get worse (maybe quite a bit worse).

The factory cats fail on unmodified cars. I probably wouldn't drop the coin until they actually did bite the dust (or spew platinum dust out the back) but that's just my view. If you have to pass strict emissions then you're probably stuck with some kind of factory or factory replacement cat (which will fail again). If your state/location has less strict emissions controls then you can probably get away with something else.

I have JHM test pipes and live in a state without emissions checks. I still installed MagnaFlow HFCs quite a bit further downstream from the factory location because I didn't like the smell on my daily driver (I have older carbureted cars if I feel like smelling that smell). I used 90* O2 extensions on the downstream O2 sensors to keep the CEL off. Again, depending on what your state/area checks when they do emissions then this might work. I have a B8 and the car shows that the cat efficiency is bad but that doesn't make it throw the CEL.

Ideally, we'd have an aftermarket cat option that can live with the stock location but doesn't seem to be the case at the moment.

Installing the test pipes isn't cheap because of what needs to be done to get to everything to even pull the old cats out and put the test pipes in place. Not every tuner currently offers the option to code out for a lack of cats so keep that in mind too. And what might sound like a good exhaust note to you now might not sound so good with test pipes either.

AZ Member #

Honestly I have no idea what you just said other than the exhaust sounding worse since I already have one on. I have AWE Touring with non res downpipes. I am good with emissions I know ill be able to pass even catless. What I don't understand are these o2 censors and CEL light. I honestly just want DP and the power it comes with but I am confused on everything else that comes with this. I need help either way and need as much information as people can give me.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    í18 F150 Ecoboost

I bought the Becker Test Pipes off eBay and theyíre great quality with zero issues thus far. To battle the rattling sound, I installed Magnaflow 11385 in place of the baby resonators and that solved that issue. I also installed the following spacer to eliminate the check engine light.

90 Degree Angled O2 Check Engine Light CEL Fix Oxygen Spacer Exhaust Extension - 4 Piece Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1U6I54..._VWNVBb265FVD4

AZ Member #

Test pipes go in place of the cats. The O2 sensor that checks to make sure the cat is operational shows that the cat isn't operational (because it isn't there). If you are going with an APR DP tune then they can code out the CEL. Other tuners don't do that. So, if you're going with a tune other than APR you will need to use 90 degree spacers to keep the ECU from turning on the CEL for the lack of cats.

Some states/locations check the emissions with visual inspections and OBD. If the cats aren't in the factory location then you'll fail visual inspection no matter what the OBD shows (this is a reason along with cost why some people have tried knocking out the cat material in the factory cats rather than using test pipes).

Without a factory style cat in the factory location it is very hard to full fool the ECU these days. I said earlier that I was failing efficiency and that's wrong. The efficiency is right but it is the warmup that I'm failing with spacers. But that's not enough for the ECU to turn on the CEL for the B8. The B8.5 might be different.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by chilort View Post
    Test pipes go in place of the cats. The O2 sensor that checks to make sure the cat is operational shows that the cat isn't operational (because it isn't there). If you are going with an APR DP tune then they can code out the CEL. Other tuners don't do that. So, if you're going with a tune other than APR you will need to use 90 degree spacers to keep the ECU from turning on the CEL for the lack of cats.

Some states/locations check the emissions with visual inspections and OBD. If the cats aren't in the factory location then you'll fail visual inspection no matter what the OBD shows (this is a reason along with cost why some people have tried knocking out the cat material in the factory cats rather than using test pipes).

Without a factory style cat in the factory location it is very hard to full fool the ECU these days. I said earlier that I was failing efficiency and that's wrong. The efficiency is right but it is the warmup that I'm failing with spacers. But that's not enough for the ECU to turn on the CEL for the B8. The B8.5 might be different.
    Honestly I have no idea what you said other than my car sounding worse with an exhaust on it plus these. I have an AWE Touring with non res downpipes. I am a noob with all this stuff to be honest. Iím confused on the o2 censors as well. I really donít want a CEL bc I already have an airbag light on and itís already annoying. Any information is really helpful to me as I donít know much about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jake@JHM View Post
    Have have some in stock and ready to ship: https://jhmotorsports.com/exhaust-ra...7-a7-3-0t.html

Cats don't last long on these cars once you get to a certain power level. However we also have a solution for that which puts the cats further downstream if you still want cats: https://jhmotorsports.com/exhaust-do...-4-2l-fsi.html
    Will the downpipes with Cats pass CA Smog (stock ECU)? Also how much more life will these get at stage 2 compared to stock cats

Senior Member Three Rings awwturbo's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 VW Passat Komfort Wagon, 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale

Here's some advice. If you can't do the research or understand what happens when you go to DP and above power levels, don't do it. All you are going to be doing is tossing money at the car blindly. Trust me on this and just do stage 2 and maybe do water/meth injection. Hind sight 20/20, I wish I never went DP. My car on stage 2 100 octane file with meth and 93 octane fuel was so much more faster than GIAC's DP 93 octane file.
    [2012 Audi S4 Prestige | S-tronic | Moonlight Blue | Black Nappa Leather | Sport Diff | Titanium Package | IE Stage 2 DP tune & DSG tune | AWE Coldfront System | JHM Race Pipes | Magnaflow 11385 muffler | AEM V2 water/meth kit | CTS 57.02mm S/C Pulley | JHM 179mm Crank Pulley | ECS Luft-Technik Intake | CR-15 Brace | H&R OE Sport Springs | 034 Trans Insert | ECS rear diff mount]

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by awwturbo View Post
    Here's some advice. If you can't do the research or understand what happens when you go to DP and above power levels, don't do it. All you are going to be doing is tossing money at the car blindly. Trust me on this and just do stage 2 and maybe do water/meth injection. Hind sight 20/20, I wish I never went DP. My car on stage 2 100 octane file with meth and 93 octane fuel was so much more faster than GIAC's DP 93 octane file.
    Wouldnít a stg2 ,100 octane and meth be logically faster than DP 93 octane ? Iím going DP next week and for $ 500 plus cooling isnít a bad deal.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gkit19986 View Post
    Wouldnít a stg2 ,100 octane and meth be logically faster than DP 93 octane ? Iím going DP next week and for $ 500 plus cooling isnít a bad deal.
    Yes it would be faster. But I was running 93 octane fuel with the 100 octane stage 2 file with meth. Very little to no timing corrections with the meth.
    [2012 Audi S4 Prestige | S-tronic | Moonlight Blue | Black Nappa Leather | Sport Diff | Titanium Package | IE Stage 2 DP tune & DSG tune | AWE Coldfront System | JHM Race Pipes | Magnaflow 11385 muffler | AEM V2 water/meth kit | CTS 57.02mm S/C Pulley | JHM 179mm Crank Pulley | ECS Luft-Technik Intake | CR-15 Brace | H&R OE Sport Springs | 034 Trans Insert | ECS rear diff mount]

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

i was curious if stage 2 dual pulley can i get away with hfc or must i go full cat delete. here in delaware they just do computer and brakes and thats it no sniffer im just scared allittle that some people say if it's louder then stock or louder then most cars they they might do a sniffer but i dont think they do or have yet to hear anyone local that has had them do it. like there are loud early 2000 gto's with large rear wheels driving on the road loud as hell but have there stickers.

AZ Member #

Yes it would be faster. But I was running 93 octane fuel with the 100 octane stage 2 file with meth. Very little to no timing corrections with the meth.
    So the meth was really used to cooling measure, I'd think it would produce higher number. I think if you ran DP, plus meth and you it wasn't as fast then I'd be concerned .

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grumby21 View Post
    i was curious if stage 2 dual pulley can i get away with hfc or must i go full cat delete. here in delaware they just do computer and brakes and thats it no sniffer im just scared allittle that some people say if it's louder then stock or louder then most cars they they might do a sniffer but i dont think they do or have yet to hear anyone local that has had them do it. like there are loud early 2000 gto's with large rear wheels driving on the road loud as hell but have there stickers.
    You can go with hfc's. The ideal location would be farther down stream in the downpipes to reduce the chances of heat from the engine cooking them with DP. But most people go catless test pipes. and as an FYI, with out proper modification to your exhaust system on test pipes, it sounds absolutely horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkit19986 View Post
    So the meth was really used to cooling measure, I'd think it would produce higher number. I think if you ran DP, plus meth and you it wasn't as fast then I'd be concerned .
    I went with IE's double pulley file last week and am running the 100 octane file. It is beast! If I was running the 93 file I would just stay stage 2 100oct with the meth. The car is smoother in the low range. Depending on the meth mix you gain the benefits of higher octane plus cooling the charge. I'm sure if I ran a higher meth percentage like say 70/30 I would have no timing corrections at all. But I run Snow Performance's Boost Juice which is 49/51.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

You can go with hfc's. The ideal location would be farther down stream in the downpipes to reduce the chances of heat from the engine cooking them with DP. But most people go catless test pipes. and as an FYI, with out proper modification to your exhaust system on test pipes, it sounds absolutely horrible.

I went with IE's double pulley file last week and am running the 100 octane file. It is beast! If I was running the 93 file I would just stay stage 2 100oct with the meth. The car is smoother in the low range. Depending on the meth mix you gain the benefits of higher octane plus cooling the charge. I'm sure if I ran a higher meth percentage like say 70/30 I would have no timing corrections at all. But I run Snow Performance's Boost Juice which is 49/51.
    but if i push it further downstream i would still have the inevitable failure no matter what

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Grumby21 View Post
    but if i push it further downstream i would still have the inevitable failure no matter what
    They are failing because of heat. The stock location is nearly okay for stock (some are still blowing out) setups. If you move cats down stream you move them away from heat (the exhaust gasses cool the further they go at a decelerating rate). Exhaust gasses can only get so hot (before causing other problems) even with higher power levels. So, no, there is no inevitable failure once placed down stream (though I'm not sure we yet know exactly where that spot is but at $100 each for MagnaFlows I was willing to give things a try). You'll just never pass a visual inspection and, depending on the depth of an electronic check, some OBD checks.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by chilort View Post
    They are failing because of heat. The stock location is nearly okay for stock (some are still blowing out) setups. If you move cats down stream you move them away from heat (the exhaust gasses cool the further they go at a decelerating rate). Exhaust gasses can only get so hot (before causing other problems) even with higher power levels. So, no, there is no inevitable failure once placed down stream (though I'm not sure we yet know exactly where that spot is but at $100 each for MagnaFlows I was willing to give things a try). You'll just never pass a visual inspection and, depending on the depth of an electronic check, some OBD checks.
    i do like the catless aspect of not having to worry about the cat itself but worried a little with smelling gas in the car when i start it up. i commute 33 miles one way and i dont want to have to worry about smell the drone/noise i could careless. but open to suggests from others about catless vs hfc further downstream. so far all we have is ignition tube with catless and would love to hear more about catless in a daily driver aspect