Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Registered Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Sep 24 2018
    AZ Member #
    427471
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

    Gearbox Malfunction - Specific Codes

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So it happened to me... the all-too-well known Gearbox Malfunction in my 2011 S4. Car appears to only have 2nd, 4th, and 6th gear, and does not have any other warnings than the 'Gearbox Malfunction', and the Check Engine Light. Basically takes a few seconds to shift, all the while I am decelerating, and then makes it into the next gear.

    Brought it in to the dealership, and they ran the following codes:
    P173F00 - Valve 2 in partial transmission electrical error
    P176C00 - Gear selector 3 cannot be regulated

    I find it interesting that in my research I have no found anybody else with the Gearbox Malf. to have these same 2 codes. Audi recommended replacing Mechatronics, and stated it would need a new transmission if "mechatronic does not resolve issue". The car is obviously out of warranty with 106,000 (km).

    I am trying, at all costs, to avoid first paying $5,000 for the mechatronics unit, only to have to pay another ~$15,000 for the transmission if that doesn't work... The car isn't worth much more than the cost of the repairs, meaning it is not worth it for me to even fix it.

    Some things to note:

    -I do have a Stasis tune from quite a few years ago, and therefor haven't had a software update in a considerable amount of time.
    -The day before the Malfunction came up, I was driving (albeit very slowly and carefully) on a rough back gravel road in the mountains... there was definitely a lot of Sh%$ that could've gotten up into the bay.
    -The Gearbox Malfunction has been present 95% of the time over the last month since it first happened, however has periodically gone away for ~20-30 minutes at a time. (I have barely driven the vehicle, as I have another vehicle to drive in the meantime).

    Has anybody had a similar experience with the same fault codes, or possibly knows about a cheaper, easier alternative to fix my problem?

    Any information helps!! Thanks :)

  2. #2
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 23 2016
    AZ Member #
    369194
    Location
    Chicago

    Basically, you can try each of the following:

    1. Replace the Circuit Board of the Mechatronic ($1,500)
    2. Replace the actual Mechatronic Unit itself ($5,000)
    3. Replace the Transmission ($12,000)

    My advice is to replace the Circuit Board, and then sell the car.

  3. #3
    Registered Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Sep 24 2018
    AZ Member #
    427471
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

    Interesting, Audi never even mentioned the option of replacing the Mechatronic circuit board.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 23 2016
    AZ Member #
    369194
    Location
    Chicago

    Quote Originally Posted by JacobCat View Post
    Interesting, Audi never even mentioned the option of replacing the Mechatronic circuit board.
    Replacing the Circuit Board is pretty common. I'm surprised they didn't mention it. Here is a good link:
    https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ox-malfunction

  5. #5
    Registered Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Sep 24 2018
    AZ Member #
    427471
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by PopTart View Post
    Replacing the Circuit Board is pretty common. I'm surprised they didn't mention it. Here is a good link:
    https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ox-malfunction
    Still, that thread has no mention of the same codes I am experiencing. Would be interested to find somebody, somewhere who has had exactly the same codes as me... though I know it's likely a long shot.

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Four Rings bhvrdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 21 2004
    AZ Member #
    2873
    Location
    South Florida

    Quote Originally Posted by PopTart View Post
    Basically, you can try each of the following:

    1. Replace the Circuit Board of the Mechatronic ($1,500)
    2. Replace the actual Mechatronic Unit itself ($5,000)
    3. Replace the Transmission ($12,000)

    My advice is to replace the Circuit Board, and then sell the car.
    Bear in mind those are dealer rates. Mechatronics repair kit with 4 hours independent shop labor is a total of $900. A used warrarrantied transmission is 1800 and 6 hours labor or lets say $2500.

    Mike

    2010 Audi A4 Avant 6AT - Unitronic Tuned - Bone Stock Hardware
    13.665 at 97.71mph - 93 octane - +1250DA
    Gone:
    2013 Audi S5 DSG - Unitronic Stage 2++ ECU & TCU, 3.17pr, Revo Charge Cooler, CTS Turbo Intake, ST60 380mm BBK
    11.482 at 118.70mph - 97 octane - +465DA
    --------------------------
    2016 A6 -- 2015 S4 -- 2009 A4 -- 2004 S4 -- 2006 A4 -- 2003 A4 -- 2000 A4

  7. #7
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 23 2016
    AZ Member #
    369194
    Location
    Chicago

    Where would OP get a used/warrantied Transmission from?

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Four Rings bhvrdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 21 2004
    AZ Member #
    2873
    Location
    South Florida

    Car-part.com or lkq. You can get them with under 20k miles and many places will give you a warranty.

    2010 Audi A4 Avant 6AT - Unitronic Tuned - Bone Stock Hardware
    13.665 at 97.71mph - 93 octane - +1250DA
    Gone:
    2013 Audi S5 DSG - Unitronic Stage 2++ ECU & TCU, 3.17pr, Revo Charge Cooler, CTS Turbo Intake, ST60 380mm BBK
    11.482 at 118.70mph - 97 octane - +465DA
    --------------------------
    2016 A6 -- 2015 S4 -- 2009 A4 -- 2004 S4 -- 2006 A4 -- 2003 A4 -- 2000 A4

  9. #9
    Registered Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Sep 24 2018
    AZ Member #
    427471
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by bhvrdr View Post
    Car-part.com or lkq. You can get them with under 20k miles and many places will give you a warranty.
    Thanks! Found one just a 2 hour drive away. I'm from Canada, so it's a little more expensive, but still a hell of a lot less than a new tranny!

    Will definitely look into this.

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Four Rings bhvrdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 21 2004
    AZ Member #
    2873
    Location
    South Florida

    I would reach out to a tuner to see if you can install a 2013+ dsg and then use their dsg tune to control it as its my understanding theyre much less of an issue and a bit better peforming.

    2010 Audi A4 Avant 6AT - Unitronic Tuned - Bone Stock Hardware
    13.665 at 97.71mph - 93 octane - +1250DA
    Gone:
    2013 Audi S5 DSG - Unitronic Stage 2++ ECU & TCU, 3.17pr, Revo Charge Cooler, CTS Turbo Intake, ST60 380mm BBK
    11.482 at 118.70mph - 97 octane - +465DA
    --------------------------
    2016 A6 -- 2015 S4 -- 2009 A4 -- 2004 S4 -- 2006 A4 -- 2003 A4 -- 2000 A4

  11. #11
    Senior Member Two Rings bakedcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 27 2015
    AZ Member #
    345284
    My Garage
    2016 White A3 Teknic S-Line with 19's
    Location
    Richmond Hill, Ontario

    Hey JacobCat Iím from Canada and simply curious where you found the replacement unit, thanks


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    His - 2015 Audi S3 Technik Florett Silver Metallic on 19's
    Hers - 2016 Audi A3 Technik S-Line Glacier White Metallic on 19's

    "I have nightmares that I'm going to wake up, and everyone's driving a Prius and living in a condo, and we're all getting health insurance".
    - Kid Rock

  12. #12
    Active Member Two Rings paitobp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 27 2017
    AZ Member #
    401790
    Location
    Rochester, NY

    Quote Originally Posted by bhvrdr View Post
    I would reach out to a tuner to see if you can install a 2013+ dsg and then use their dsg tune to control it as its my understanding theyre much less of an issue and a bit better peforming.
    Is the 2013+ DSG a plug and play direct swap for the B8? Because if it is that would be the route I would go if it comes down to replacing the tranny.
    Last edited by paitobp; 10-11-2018 at 09:42 PM.

  13. #13
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jul 14 2018
    AZ Member #
    422415
    Location
    Indiana

    Would like to know this as well

  14. #14
    Senior Member Three Rings Jcam14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 17 2013
    AZ Member #
    121237
    My Garage
    2014 Mercedez Benz C-350
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona

    just buy the mechatronic repair kit from ECS tuning and have that installed first, I had the same issue and got told it would need a new mechatronic unit , which Audi quoted me $6500.00 for that, i opted not to do that and did the other, fixed the issue and car is running great and shifting fine again, like new. The kit is an OEM Audi/VW parts
    2012 S4/Monsoon Grey/Black Optics Package/Black Leather Interior/19' Rims/LED interior bulbs/SoloWerks Coilovers/roc-euro CAI/10mm spacers all 4

  15. #15
    Active Member Two Rings paitobp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 27 2017
    AZ Member #
    401790
    Location
    Rochester, NY

    Audiusaparts have it cheaper. The newest part # is 05B398009F and now it Includes the valve block wiring and speed sensor with cable.

    https://www.audiusaparts.com/oem-par...kit-0b5398009f


    Sent from my SM-N950U using Audizine mobile app

  16. #16
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 23 2016
    AZ Member #
    369194
    Location
    Chicago

    Is there anyone near Chicago who can help? I'll pay you. One dealer told me to replace the Mechatronics. BUT another dealer told me to replace the whole Transmission.

  17. #17
    Registered Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Sep 24 2018
    AZ Member #
    427471
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by Jcam14 View Post
    just buy the mechatronic repair kit from ECS tuning and have that installed first, I had the same issue and got told it would need a new mechatronic unit , which Audi quoted me $6500.00 for that, i opted not to do that and did the other, fixed the issue and car is running great and shifting fine again, like new. The kit is an OEM Audi/VW parts
    The first Audi dealership I tried didn't acknowledge the existence of the repair kit (even after I brought it up). I'll bring it up at my cities other dealership when I am in this week. Should they be able to do the labour for the repair kit at the dealership?

    I've tried a couple of reputable 3rd party shops and none of them want to touch my issue, due to its complexity... I'm blow away Audi hasn't come out with a recall for this yet.

  18. #18
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 14 2011
    AZ Member #
    79785
    Location
    Bellevue, WA

    Quote Originally Posted by JacobCat View Post
    The first Audi dealership I tried didn't acknowledge the existence of the repair kit (even after I brought it up). I'll bring it up at my cities other dealership when I am in this week. Should they be able to do the labour for the repair kit at the dealership?

    I've tried a couple of reputable 3rd party shops and none of them want to touch my issue, due to its complexity... I'm blow away Audi hasn't come out with a recall for this yet.
    https://www.classaction.org/audi-tra...oblem-lawsuits



Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.