Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

2001 Audi S4 Not Cranking

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have a 6 speed 2001 Audi S4 that I had in storage for a year. About 3 months ago, I had to move it to a new storage place and the battery was completely dead. I connected jumper cables and it started right up and didn't have any issues. I went to go start the car today with jumper cables and when I turn the key, theres no crank. The car has a turbo timer but I turned it off from the settings and the key seems like its still programmed because the fob can unlock/lock the car. i connected this small battery charger to the battery all night and it seems to hold a bit of juice (the dash shows about 9v) but still nothing when I turn the key. What can be the problem?

Established Member Two Rings SoundEfx's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Are all the fuses good?
    Is the fuel pump priming?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I tested the fuel pump fuse (I think #28) and I don't see a light come on from the test pin when I put the car in ACC. Is this an issue?

Established Member Two Rings SlowestB7ever's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 B5 S4

Can you hear the pump when your turn the key all the way and open your door?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    6 trips to the parts store, 4 days of missed work and a couple higher pounds in blood pressure, it's finally finished

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I don't think I can, I tried listening but didn't hear anything. I will try getting someone outside to listen when I try to put it in ACC but can this be the reason it doesn't even crank? Because I would assume if fuel pump is faulty, it would crank but not fire but correct me if I'm wrong

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Try boosting again.

Booster cables can be finicky.

9V on the cluster isn't enough to start the car.
    - JVD

Stage 6 B5 S4 - K&N Cabin Filter, PIAA Reverse Lamps, 4 Lug Conversion, Track Package, 4x 18" Pyle Subwoofers

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I tried but it doesn't crank. Is it normal for the fuse for fuel pump to not have power when the car is in ACC? Like even the first 2 secs because I tried and nothing comes up, I don't think I hear it prime either

Senior Member Three Rings slowSfaux's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Battery is dead. Batteries can get weak and refuse to start the engine, but still accept a jump/charge (up to a certain extent). Then batteries can flat out die. If you don't have a DVOM to test the voltage with the key off and again while cranking, you can just remove the battery and take it to any autopart store. They'll test it there.

Just know that allowing a battery to drop to below 12.7 volts is causing damage. The lower it drops, and the greater the length of time it spends that way, reduces the amount of voltage that battery will "recharge" to. So if you have a habit of letting your batteries die then relying on a jump to get them started. Stop that.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

So would you suggest me changing the battery after reading the above?

Established Member Two Rings SoundEfx's Avatar
    AZ Member #

JV, to answer your cranking question, it depends. I have had situations where the battery was completely dead and it took a while for the car to start while being jumped. As I turn the key, all I got were dash lights and nothing engine wise. Then eventually when the engine had enough 'juice', the car cranked and eventually started.
    So if all the fuses are good, I would check the fuel pump to make sure that it's priming. If it is, then charge or replace the battery to the proper 12 volts and see if that makes any difference.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will give it a shot and see how it goes. I will keep you guys posted!

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

More than likely, a new battery will fix your issues.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Going to be sourcing a battery tomorrow but any other suggestions? Just because I still don't understand why it wouldn't start with a boost when the gauge shows 14v

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

So the battery didn't solve the problem. When I turn the key, nothing happens it literally feels like me trying to start the car without pressing the clutch. I don't know if this could be a factor but I do recall my brother switching out the throttle body boot and map sensor with his out of a 2.7t a6 because it has a hole in it. I am currently running that boot with the hole patched temporarily because I needed to move it out of the storage?

Veteran Member Four Rings CELison's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Does the rest of the car have power when you go to crank it? Does the Volt meter drop to 0 when you go to crank it? You try tapping the starter? I would also check the power supply and ground for the starter as well as the grounds behind the coolant tank.
    B5 S4- K24s, built bottom end, E85
    B8 S4- GIAC Stage 2
    150cc Chinese Scooter of Doom

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

The car does have power when I try to crank it in terms of the cluster atleast, I tried putting on the heat and it turns off every time I turn the key. I didn't try checking with a volt meter if it drops to 0 or tapping the starter. I don't hear the fuel pump priming either nor does the fuel pump fuse get any power when I put the car in the ON position

Veteran Member Four Rings CELison's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Does the CEL light up on the cluster with the key just in the "ON" position?
    B5 S4- K24s, built bottom end, E85
    B8 S4- GIAC Stage 2
    150cc Chinese Scooter of Doom

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

We tried to bump start it, it seems like it wanted to start but didn't

- - - Updated - - -

yes CEL does

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Your starter is most likely bad. I have never seen a bad fuel pump cause a car not to crank. If your grounds are good like CELison said to check. Then check for power at the starter. Its a little bit of a pain but can be done. If you have power at the the little wire on the solenoid, and on the bigger power wire then you know it's getting power and the starter is bad.