Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Koni special active

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Koni released a few months back a new set of shocks called special actives. They are an improved version of the FSD and cheaper too now, check ecstuning. They are... 480$ for all 4 corners?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-koni-par...it/82451264kt/

Has anyone gotten some good feedback about these or even thought about putting these on?

I'm planning on getting a set with eibach pro kit as they fit my needs for ride characteristics.

Here's an interesting article about them.

https://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/1073...pecial-active/

I've had the s-line springs and sport shocks on my a4 and let's just say the word "crashy" being used is exactly this. Now with worn out rear struts, im looking for something more luxurious in term of ride quality, soaking bumps better, a more overall comfier ride that still can corner flat and be s-line height.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Two Rings rcprato's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant Quattro - 11 Touareg VR6 Lux

Did not like the FSD and doubt the new design will work with lowering springs, mine were bouncy and could not handle rebound of lowering spring I was using
    My Avant has S-Line sport springs and Bilstein touring sport shocks, ride is great but not as low as Eibach sport springs

AZ Member #

Koni special active

S-line springs are so harsh. I don't know how you would enjoy them. They are linear and stiff.

Eibach comes in two variety, the sportline being the lowest. Their regular version, the pro-kit has a drop similar if not the same as an s-line suspension. Although much softer in term of spring rate and progressive.

Your fsd didn't fix the bounce? We're you using the sedan version or avant version of these struts/shocks? Id say that's a bad combo overall since you'd want to pair s-line being with anything sport oriented.

The FSD as far as I know weren't meant to be used with lowering springs since youd end up in the range where the FSD just doesn't "work".

The s-line spring being 20mm lower, than oem suspension. That qualifies as one.

Edit:
    The previous owner of your avant, he was using eibach pro-kit. As per your previous topics and discussions. Was it the sport line or their regular version. Also was it mated with fsd as you mention you had a non sport oem shock. Where does it mention you had fsd?

Last edited by spin0rz; 10-10-2018 at 01:03 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

FSD on my 08 Passat with H&R OEM sport springs, very bouncy with terrible rebound control. Switched to Koni yellows and much better rebound control
    Eibach Pro Kit sport springs on my Avant when purchased with factory shocks (not sure if they were sport shock) and ride was good but front was 1/2Ē lower than back and was hitting bump stop regularly. S-Line springs sits exactly where I want it to be and the B4 sport Bilsteins do a great job IMO with those springs, riders comment regularly how smooth/solid the Avant is on rough roads

AZ Member #

The b4 sports bilstein are a direct oem replacement to the sashs that comes with the s-line suspension iirc. That would make sense.

Although, for me.. I wouldn't say smooth is a word I'd use. On stock s-line suspension, there's nothing smooth on rough roads.

The springs are just too stiff. Very direct tho but definitely not flat cornering. Lots of body roll.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

You are correct, S-Line springs are firm and donít offer a soft luxury ride but for me they are perfect. IMO a perfect set up for DD here in western N.Y. for use all year round

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by rcprato View Post
    You are correct, S-Line springs are firm and donít offer a soft luxury ride but for me they are perfect. IMO a perfect set up for DD here in western N.Y. for use all year round
    So you put the b4 oe sport shocks? I've read this...

"Talked with Bilstein on Friday B6s are not compatible with shorter factory sport suspension. B8s are suppose to have same valving as B6s but shorter stroke which is compatible with shorter factory sport suspension springs."

Veteran Member Four Rings bhvrdr's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by spin0rz View Post
    The b4 sports bilstein are a direct oem replacement to the sashs that comes with the s-line suspension iirc. That would make sense.

Although, for me.. I wouldn't say smooth is a word I'd use. On stock s-line suspension, there's nothing smooth on rough roads.

The springs are just too stiff. Very direct tho but definitely not flat cornering. Lots of body roll.

Springs are not controlling the ride characteristics very much. The dampers are. You can get an 800lb linear rate spring (twice as stiff as our current after market options) to ride very nicely on the correct damper. His ride characteristics came from the Bilsteins. You may be trying to compare that to how the stock Sline dampers and springs feel.

Mike

2010 Audi A4 Avant 6AT - Unitronic Tuned - Bone Stock Hardware
    13.665 at 97.71mph - 93 octane - +1250DA
    Gone:
    2013 Audi S5 DSG - Unitronic Stage 2++ ECU & TCU, 3.17pr, Revo Charge Cooler, CTS Turbo Intake, ST60 380mm BBK
    11.482 at 118.70mph - 97 octane - +465DA
    --------------------------
    2016 A6 -- 2015 S4 -- 2009 A4 -- 2004 S4 -- 2006 A4 -- 2003 A4 -- 2000 A4

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spin0rz View Post
    So you put the b4 oe sport shocks? I've read this...

"Talked with Bilstein on Friday B6s are not compatible with shorter factory sport suspension. B8s are suppose to have same valving as B6s but shorter stroke which is compatible with shorter factory sport suspension springs."

Yes B4 p/n 19-171616 front and 19-171623 rear
    B8 would have been ones to use if I was lower on after market springs

Registered Member Four Rings kingofnyc's Avatar
    AZ Member #

i have Koni Active installed on my avant with sport package for about 2 month now and i like the ride.
    I do not experience bouncy ride like some people say.
    They are designed to be used with factory springs.
    Work well with bumpy New York City roads.