Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring davyay's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Coolant and oil decreasing FAST

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    The coolant on my 09 a6 3.0t has been decreasing a lot. I added coolant a few days ago and now its below the min again. Less than 1k miles ago i had an oil change and levels were good, now the oil is a lot blacker and so low the dipstick barely read it.

There are no visible leaks on the ground and engine bay is dry. All other levels are normal.

Some white smoke is coming out of the exhaust when revving on cold.
    Oil is not white or frothy, just got a lot darker. The oil level stayed the same for a couple weeks, i check it every week or two, now all of a sudden its just darker and low.

The engine also has not been overheating or anything, temp guage never goes past mid.

Going to have it checked out by a mechanic but just wanted to see if anyone had similar problem to see how much penny pinching i will have to do to afford this.
    Really hoping im not about to have to drop a couple grand on blown head gasket repair.

The cars at 95k miles, got it at 90k from an owner who took good care of it.
    (P.s can anyone who had experience with a blown head gasket on the a6 let me know how much the repair cost?)

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Audizine mobile app
    Last edited by davyay; 10-09-2018 at 09:44 PM.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by davyay View Post
    The coolant on my 09 a6 3.0t has been decreasing a lot. I added coolant a few days ago and now its below the min again. Less than 1k miles ago i had an oil change and levels were good, now the oil is a lot blacker and so low the dipstick barely read it.

There are no visible leaks on the ground and engine bay is dry. All other levels are normal.

Some white smoke is coming out of the exhaust when revving on cold.
    Oil is not white or frothy, just got a lot darker. The oil level stayed the same for a couple weeks, i check it every week or two, now all of a sudden its just darker and low.

The engine also has not been overheating or anything, temp guage never goes past mid.

Going to have it checked out by a mechanic but just wanted to see if anyone had similar problem to see how much penny pinching i will have to do to afford this.
    Really hoping im not about to have to drop a couple grand on blown head gasket repair.

The cars at 95k miles, got it at 90k from an owner who took good care of it.
    (P.s can anyone who had experience with a blown head gasket on the a6 let me know how much the repair cost?)

Has the pcv been changed. It's a known fault on early models.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Audizine mobile app

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

^^ what roadrunner said.

Additionally- as for the oil, take a peek down your spark plugs tubes. We had a guy recently post here and it was a great learning thread in which he discovered that the cams are held down with a girdle, and there's a gasket that no one knew about between the top of the head and this girdle. When that gasket goes bad, it seeps oil into the spark plug tubes. He discovered this after having the same leak after having replaced the valve cover gaskets. So, remove all 6 coils and check for a pool of oil.

As for the coolant going missing- While you have the coils off, if you have the means and the time, go ahead and do a compression test. I'm not concerned at all by a little white smoke while the engine is cold, as that could be normal condensation leaving.
    07 A6 3.2- Out & In- Morimoto 5500k & Nokya 2500k, DeAutoLED Reverse, LP, & Footwells, Ziza Full Interior, 10" lo-pro Pioneer, Audi Aluminum Pedals
    Drivetrain & Suspension- Stoptech X-Drilled & Sport Pads, ST X-Coilovers, Hacked Airbox with aFe, Resonator Delete

"What is best in life? -Kill your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women" Conan the Barbarian

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Is this the 3 ringed gasket, or is it further down.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Audizine mobile app

Registered Member One Ring davyay's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The PCV has not been changed. I'll have to look further into that. Thanks @roadrunner800

I'll have to ask my mechanic to run a compression test. Thanks for the suggestion @95blkmax

Really appreciate the help fellas.