Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

🔥New Purchase Prospect🔥

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Greetings all, I am a new member and I look forward to growing my experiences/knowledge on here with all of your help.

I am in the market to make a new purchase and came across this; a 2001 S4, manual, black exterior with nagaro blue alcantara interior (very clean), 190,000 miles (daily driver 50mi/day, miles evenly spread throughout the years with the vast majority being highway miles), completely stock, original turbos, 4 spare wheels mounted with winter tires, spare set of new rotors and brakes, every maintenance record since the beginning of its life. All parts replaced when or before they should be and documented as such. All the big money items replaced recently (within the early to mid stage of wear) including heater core, timing belt, water pump, control arms, wheel bearings, clutch, etc. and documented. Garaged, rarely driven in snow. Zero rust.

The downsides include oil temp sensor light occasionally comes one, valve cover gasket needs to be replaced and cabin smells of oil when driven and there’s a slow air leak in the rear passenger side tire. Original turbos.
    I got a chance to test drive and everything seems to have checked out. No noises between shifts (admitingly I never went above third) or when turning the wheel, turbos sound good, clutch is solid, all lights work, handled great and even has a pre purchase inspection allegedly from the prior interested party.

My question to you all is do you think this sounds like it is worth $6k?? Any input is appreciated.

Established Member Two Rings SoundEfx's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Get your own pre purchase inspection. There might be a reason the previous person walked away.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SoundEfx View Post
    Get your own pre purchase inspection. There might be a reason the previous person walked away.
    I inquired why and was told the guys wife wouldn’t let him buy it... 🤔

Veteran Member Three Rings PwrWgn's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The oil temp light comes on? Does that mean the gauge is maxed out?? It might have more to do with the oil level sensor. Meanwhile I assume the oil smell has to do with the leaky VC gaskets.

Probably looking at more in the 4-5k range. Definitely helps that it's stock and has the heater core done. But those turbos might not be long for the world.

AZ Member #

Sorry, yes I meant oil level sensor.

Yeah, my biggest worry are the turbos. That being said I do know a few gents who have originals running on well kept, unmodified examples into the 230-250k mile range.

Veteran Member Four Rings MacDaddy's Avatar
    AZ Member #

As youve described it, sounds like a good buy, that oil smell is from leaky VCG seeping oil onto the exhaust manifolds, probably your timing chain tensioner gaskets too. Oil sensor in the bottom of the pan failing is fairly conmob, leaky tire big deal. Turbos, well the car is in vacuum when cruisng down the highway so the turbos arent doing much so i wouldnt be terribly worried unless they make a lot of noise (like hissing)

I would get your own PPP from someone you trust, and take it on a longer drive, get it on the highway

Established Member Two Rings SoundEfx's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The truth of the matter is the fact that only you could answer your question of whether to get or not because the rest of us is not there.
    Some would get it with the knowledge and willingness to spend an additional $5K into it and others wouldn't. You know your pocket size and time because take it from me, these cars take both.