Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established Member Two Rings climb4hope's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 Allroad 2.7T manual, 02 Allroad 2.7T auto, 01 S4 6sp (building)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Does anybody know the factory specs for the radial rotor and driven rotor tip clearances for the oil pump?
    I have two pumps. One is worn visually more than the other and the rotor is scored, another seems to be in a bit better shape but I want to ensure that the clearances are right and I don't have to spend another ~280 on a new pump.

This is a photo of the driven rotor (the worse out of two).

Toyota specs their pumps for 0.10-0.16mm, max 0.2mm radial and 0.04-0.16mm, max 0.2mm for the tip clearances. ELSA does not seem to have any info on that and couldn't find anything in google. If I can't find audi factory specs, will probably use the the toyota's numbers at least for the reference.

Veteran Member Four Rings SleeperAvant's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Good work in saving this B5 S4. Looks like the previous owner didn't give a rat's ass about it and just thought regular oil changes would do the trick.
    Steve

2005 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro MT
    Comp Turbo Billet T3/T4 4756 SPA clone manifold Turbosmart ultragate Forge 007 DV 034 SPA 3" downpipe, B6 S4 exhaust AEB head & intake manifold EV14 750cc @ 4bar Snow Performance Meth injection Eurodyne Maestro Bilstein PSS9 OZ ultraleggera matte bronze w/Conti Extreme Contact Sport B5 S4 front brakes 034 street density engine mounts JHM B7 RS4 LWFW + clutch

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Ok, I measured the spacing and the numbers were 0.102 for radial and 0.05 for tip clearances. Seems like there is some good margin so I decided to polish the driven gear.

For that I printed a plastic gear for the driven gear on 3d printer to be able to put it on a bolt an hook up to the drill:

That actually worked quite well with 400 and then 800 grit sandpaper.
    The clearances were still within the "toyota" specs :) Since I don't have audi numbers had to make some assumptions.

The pump is cleaned, primed with oil and ready to be used again.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Now the block time.
    It took full 3 long evening, 2 or 3 different paint strippers, rust solvent, 25 pounds of soda in the blaster, a bunch of manual brushing and a "hot tub" for the engine block to clean it.

Here's my home made purple power hot tank:

Now the painting job.

Priming:

Finished:

Pistons are cleaned as well and ready for the new rings and to be put into the block. Just need to resurface it tomorrow after the paint fully dries.

Veteran Member Three Rings A4_PimP's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Wow I had trouble doing an oil change and then I come into this thread lol jealous in a good way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12