Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The B9 as a daily driver - better than S8?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Guys

What I really appreciate in the B8 S4 is the low end torque -- I'm sure I'm not the only one. This gives the car the character of a perfect daily driver.

I wonder how the B9 engine changes in that respect. I did a 5 minutes test drive but it was not enough to form an opinion. The dealer does not welcome long test drives.

So I was wondering if you S9 owners out there who were previously B8/B8.5 owners could offer your perspective.

That would be really appreciated. Thank you!

Active Member Two Rings Filipao's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Do you mean S4 B8 versus S4 B9?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Filipao View Post
    Do you mean S4 B8 versus S4 B9?
    That is right. I like the B8 engine character so much.... In my very brief test drive with the B9 I got the feeling that something got lost with the small turbo lag... It is just different... I wonder if I will regret a change.

Senior Member Two Rings mtlquattro's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Well despite the fact that the b9 has turbo/transmission lag, it actually has more low end torque than the b8. It is not as linear but it's there in the low revs. I had a b8.5 s5 and I do miss some of it's powertrain but the b9 is faster in ''stage 1'' form so I don't look back

Sent from my SM-A520W using Audizine mobile app
    NOW: 2018 s5 ibis white coupe
    SOLD: 2015 misano s5 s-tronic sport diff
    Totaled: B8S5 IBIS WHITE 6MT
    SOLD: B7S4 BRILLIANT RED 6MT
    SOLD: UNITRONICTUNED GT71R B6 ON 630 cc
    BetaAlphaTau member # 58

Veteran Member Four Rings will13k7's Avatar
    AZ Member #

there's a split second difference before the power comes on for the b9 versus the b8, but you really notice the b9 has much more low end grunt. both are great daily drivers though.

AZ Member #

Thank you guys.

I will try an "extended" test drive. I appreciate your answers. Thanks.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I own a B8, stick, and test drove a B9, mostly using the paddle shift. I found it very, very disappointing. My B8 feels like a sports sedan; the B9, not so much. I really missed the direct feeling of connection with the car that my stick (and supercharger) provide me. I felt only vaguely attached to the B9, rather like it was a kind of rental car with a lot of electronics. I wonder how much the difference was because of the transmission and how much the engine. I realize that on paper the B9 is faster but it certainly didn't feel like it.

My B8 has 85k miles on it and I wonder how long it will hold up. I'm wondering if it's possible to add a stick to a B9. I don't know any Audi tuners so I'm at a loss but as much as I really love (and that's the correct word) my B8, I'm sad that I couldn't consider a B9 without three peddles.

Established Member Two Rings Nez136's Avatar
    AZ Member #

My b9 feels more sporty than both my B8 and 8.5. even without the stick shift. Some days I miss the stick. Have driven stick shift since my first Evo 8 in 2003. Was a sad day to go to auto but I really really like the new s4.
    Iíve grown to like paddles/auto. Ever since the GTR came out with paddles only I started growing to accept it that this is where cars are going.

Had rare chance to ride in an Aventador a few years ago and paddles didnít seem to bother my friend who was driving

As far as driving daily, itís very Jekyll and Hyde. I have the sport diff option, so the suspension changes with the trans on the comfort mode makes it feel more like the loaner A6ís I always use to get.

Dynamic feels like a German sports sedan should. Quick and agile. Only complaint is yes the lag, throttle more so than turbo. Never liked drive by wire but thatís the way things are now. I think they could make some adjustments and update the car to help eliminate that but Audi seems to not care about customer feed back.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    '11 S4
    '05 Evo 2.3 HTA35r

AZ Member #

My dealer let me use a B9 S4 (sport diff) when my B8.5 DSG sport diff lease was coming up. As others have noted, the B8.5 has a more immediate response and the DSG is more fun, although less smooth. I do like the B9 interior much more, but the exterior less (especially the back end).

Bottom line...I kept my B8.5 and added a Platinum Audi Protection 7yr/70K extended warranty. The B9 is a better luxury car, but less of a sports sedan IMHO. One other point, the B8.5 SC engine and DSG are very reliable while the B9 is riskier with some reported problems already. Maybe I'll get a B9.5 once they work out the inevitable kinks like with the B8.

Senior Member Four Rings 4ringnut's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Audi S4, 2017 Acura MDX

The B9 feels ďslowerĒ because it pulls a hell of a lot smoother than the previous generation. When I test drove one the first time I thought something was wrong with it. I stopped listening to my butt dyno and started paying attention to the speedometer. Itís a quick car and would beat the b8 S4 from a dig. Especially if you launch it. I got bored of the B8.5 S4 after a week, I still smile every time I drive my B9. Once you get use to itís driving characteristics youíll be able to control the power a lot better. Or just put it in dynamic and turn off the traction control, the car wakes right up. A 5 minute test drive wonít tell you enough about the car and if youíre arguing that the B8 is better, keep doing so to make yourself feel better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pedal Responce first responder.