Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: New S4 owner

Registered Member One Ring BrilliantB6S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

New S4 owner

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Just a quick intro, name is Bill I'm from CT and I just picked up an 04 S4 with 125k on it. Bone stock and everything seems to work. I was informed that the timing chain service was done at 85k but I have no paperwork saying so (no noise at all on cold start). I will still be putting money away for when the time comes if it comes and the timing chain tensioners go. So far I love the car its a perfect balance of handling and power. I come from the RWD lsx world so this a new experience for me lol. Look forward to learning a lot and getting some questions answered.
    Attached Images
    2004 Brilliant Black S4 6MT

Senior Member Two Rings PigDiesel54's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yayy! more clean S4s in CT

Sent from my SM-N950U using Audizine mobile app
    2006 Brilliant Red B7 S4 Avant 6MT
    2001 Cactus Green B5 S4 Avant 6MT
    2006 Brilliant Red B7 A4 2.0T Quattro Tiptronic

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by PigDiesel54 View Post
    Yayy! more clean S4s in CT

what part of CT

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BrilliantB6S4 View Post
    what part of CT
    West Haven

Senior Member Three Rings DarrenOman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Welcome to the club

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Welcome! Nice shiny car! I just talked to a guy in a parking lot yesterday with an 04 with 10k more miles than yours, still going strong. He didn't know about the timing status on his car, and he sounded like he is getting the most out of it. I hope you enjoy yours as much!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by NALS4 View Post
    Welcome! Nice shiny car! I just talked to a guy in a parking lot yesterday with an 04 with 10k more miles than yours, still going strong. He didn't know about the timing status on his car, and he sounded like he is getting the most out of it. I hope you enjoy yours as much!
    Awesome, yeah I plan on keeping this car for a long time, so i hope for the best but am planning for the worst and fix it when time comes.

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Welcome aboard and welcome to a very tight knit community. Enjoy that V8 rumble and if you need help along the way, feel free to post up your questions and troubles.
    Vinny

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Looks just like mine from when I bought it!

Active Member Two Rings ArthurPower's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Lots_of_TOOLS

Congrats! I have an 04 as well. It is a very fun car with a lot of aftermarket support.
    2004 S4 4.2 MT Cabrio (current)
    1997 90/A4 2.8 MT Sedan (previous)

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

"a lot of aftermarket support. " I dont know about all that. JHM is just garbage and rest is just simple stuff. Either way welcome OP
    2008 DTM RS4

Instagram--@tjbradney

AZ Member #

Congrats on the car! I absolutely love mine!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    EVO8 RS, GTR R35

welcome,
    nice to see my twin also from CT

Active Member Two Rings ArthurPower's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Lots_of_TOOLS

tjbradney "JHM is just garbage" ? Say what, JHM has done more research and development in both performance and replacement parts then all the other companies out there combined. These guys set the standard for designing and supplying modifications and quality replacement parts for this platform.
    2004 S4 4.2 MT Cabrio (current)
    1997 90/A4 2.8 MT Sedan (previous)

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by VinnysS4 View Post
    Welcome aboard and welcome to a very tight knit community. Enjoy that V8 rumble and if you need help along the way, feel free to post up your questions and troubles.
    Vinny

Thank you I will definitely do so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by S4MIZ View Post
    welcome,
    nice to see my twin also from CT
    What part of CT?

Veteran Member Four Rings mad70sx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Silver '04 S4

Quote Originally Posted by tjbradney View Post
    JHM is just garbage
    lol Mmmkay....
    JHM Tune ~ JHM Version 2 Headers ~ FI/JHM 2.5" Exhaust ~ Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers ~ BBS CH

Always dirty, always broken

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurPower View Post
    tjbradney "JHM is just garbage" ? Say what, JHM has done more research and development in both performance and replacement parts then all the other companies out there combined. These guys set the standard for designing and supplying modifications and quality replacement parts for this platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by mad70sx View Post
    lol Mmmkay....
    I would only expect people who have spent thousands of dollars for little results to back JHM up. Only logical thing to do.
    2008 DTM RS4

Instagram--@tjbradney

Veteran Member Four Rings Gosser's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 A4, 1988 Buick Lesabre T-Type

Welcome to the board from one brilliant black 04 to another:

I have no idea why some people hate on JHM so much, regardless lets not derail a welcome thread because of it.
    2004 S4 MT - Summer
    2006 A4 3.2 AT - Wifes
    2004 A4 1.8 6MT - Winter
    2003 A4 1.8 CVT -> 5spd quttro swap!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Gosser View Post
    Welcome to the board from one brilliant black 04 to another:

I have no idea why some people hate on JHM so much, regardless lets not derail a welcome thread because of it.
    great looking 04 I'm digging the wheels

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

New S4 owner

Quote Originally Posted by Gosser View Post
    It actually makes sense if you think about it. In any game ever, which team hates on the other? Thatís right, the loser. Your best bet is to try and ignore it. None of those haters can outperform these cars with their own, so they resort to relentless trolling.

AZ Member #

Welcome to the club OP, great looking car!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Silver '04 S4

I would only expect people who have spent thousands of dollars for little results to back JHM up. Only logical thing to do.
    lol, I just don't get this d-bag point of view. Do you ever stop to think that those who do spend money on JHM parts are quite happy with them and understand that there are not a lot of gains to be had on a NA engine with just bolt on parts? If you don't like JHM or their parts, why do you have this need to chime in and shit on them. I just don't get it...

Sorry to derail your thread OP. This will be my last comment about it. Congrats on the purchase, it's a great looking car.
    JHM Tune ~ JHM Version 2 Headers ~ FI/JHM 2.5" Exhaust ~ Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers ~ BBS CH

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mad70sx View Post
    lol, I just don't get this d-bag point of view. Do you ever stop to think that those who do spend money on JHM parts are quite happy with them and understand that there are not a lot of gains to be had on a NA engine with just bolt on parts? If you don't like JHM or their parts, why do you have this need to chime in and shit on them, just don't buy them. I just don't get it...
    Maybe over your head i guess. But I chimed in saying they are garbage so money isnít wasted on shit that wonít help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2008 DTM RS4

Instagram--@tjbradney

Veteran Member Four Rings DownhillA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Congrats Bill! Take that new B6 S4 out for some fun twisties and join us for our 3rd Annual Fall Cruise in 2 weeks. You are just under two hours from West Haven to the start just off route 84! A few CT guys are coming. Check the Tri-state section.

Click here for Cruise Thread

@pigdiesel54 please come too, I wanna see that gorgeous ride!
    Tri-state Foliage Cruise 2018
    IG: @downhill_a4
    @I_like_your_box

"If you are a true automotive enthusiast whom loves their car,
    you learn to catch rides to parties and leave your car at home."- dougyfresh

AZ Member #

Maybe over your head i guess. But I chimed in saying they are garbage so money isnít wasted on shit that wonít help.

I guess not being a douche is over your head? Maybe you should consider not talking so time isnít wasted on posts that donít help. Whatís funny is your hate ends up flattering JHM and their customers because theyíre obviously doing something right if people like you are so upset about their success that you feel the need to derail any thread on this forum and others just so you can let everybody know you donít like JHM.

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Leave this guys thread alone. What is wrong with you people? Go make your own JHM bashing thread and take that bullshit over there. Yeah. I don't like them, but I don't go around ruining people's threads talking about it.
    Get over yourself

1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by DownhillA4 View Post
    Congrats Bill! Take that new B6 S4 out for some fun twisties and join us for our 3rd Annual Fall Cruise in 2 weeks. You are just under two hours from West Haven to the start just off route 84! A few CT guys are coming. Check the Tri-state section.

Click here for Cruise Thread

@pigdiesel54 please come too, I wanna see that gorgeous ride!
    That sounds like a great time would definitely like to make it. Are the CT guys meeting up to head to the cruise?

Veteran Member Four Rings DownhillA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

That sounds like a great time would definitely like to make it. Are the CT guys meeting up to head to the cruise?
    You'll have to view the Fall Cruise thread over in the Tristate section. I think page 2 has the CT guys chatting.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Just a quick intro, name is Bill I'm from CT and I just picked up an 04 S4 with 125k on it. Bone stock and everything seems to work. I was informed that the timing chain service was done at 85k but I have no paperwork saying so (no noise at all on cold start). I will still be putting money away for when the time comes if it comes and the timing chain tensioners go. So far I love the car its a perfect balance of handling and power. I come from the RWD lsx world so this a new experience for me lol. Look forward to learning a lot and getting some questions answered.
    Welcome welcome.
    First thing I would do is to change the pedals at least the faces to a metal type. I remember when I drove around with stock pedal plates and it got wet it would squeak like heck and im in Cali haha. Also if u get a chance get it into the air and take a look at the rear timing chain cover. Just see if the bolts have any workmanship marks or if there is excess silicone as that isnt stock. Good indication that someone has been back there and more than likely the T/C got worked on (possibly).

Any plans for future mods?

Veteran Member Three Rings A4_PimP's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Congrats OP love your car. I donít have an S4 but Iím contemplating one in another year or two. Love the wheels though I might be biased because I have a set on my car. Itís one of the few stock Audi wheels that I think the design is so good.

I wonít say much on JHM to mess with the post. I donít have any of their parts but in the A4 world there arenít any good things said about them either. BTW the purpose of a forum is to express ideas. So I donít see why everyone is poo pooing the posts on JHM. I think itís legitimate especially if the poster might consider buying their parts in the future. Itís good feedback and if they suck more people should know about it.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by A4_PimP View Post
    Congrats OP love your car. I donít have an S4 but Iím contemplating one in another year or two. Love the wheels though I might be biased because I have a set on my car. Itís one of the few stock Audi wheels that I think the design is so good.

I wonít say much on JHM to mess with the post. I donít have any of their parts but in the A4 world there arenít any good things said about them either. BTW the purpose of a forum is to express ideas. So I donít see why everyone is poo pooing the posts on JHM. I think itís legitimate especially if the poster might consider buying their parts in the future. Itís good feedback and if they suck more people should know about it.

Not jumping in to deep for this rabbit hole but IMO people that have had bad experiences with a product/company will usually voice/be vocal about their experience vs the people that had a good experience who just keep to themselves and continue to use the product/service. This causes what most would see as "many people have bad expereiences" phenomenom because all they see are the expressed bad experiences. Just my 2 cents.

OP - Companies that are most prevalent to the platform in modifications and parts are: JHM, 034, and ECSTuning off the top of my head. Also if your looking to do carbon fiber things to the car I highly recommend Jason @ KuhlRennsport in the Classified section.

AZ Member #

If you need parts go with FCP Euro, you can never go wrong with a lifetime replacement guarantee and excellent customer service. They are located in Milford, nice and close.

AZ Member #

If you need parts go with FCP Euro, you can never go wrong with a lifetime replacement guarantee and excellent customer service. They are located in Milford, nice and close.

I have purchased through fcp before when I had a Volvo s70 t5

Veteran Member Three Rings A4_PimP's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Kambesama View Post
    Not jumping in to deep for this rabbit hole but IMO people that have had bad experiences with a product/company will usually voice/be vocal about their experience vs the people that had a good experience who just keep to themselves and continue to use the product/service. This causes what most would see as "many people have bad expereiences" phenomenom because all they see are the expressed bad experiences. Just my 2 cents.
    I don't have any parts from JHM and I prob never will that's my personal choice. I have read experiences from posters I trust in the A4 section. You can say people with bad experiences will be vocal. But if you're a company you should be paying attention to those bad experiences. JHM is in the forums I've seen their posts. As a company you can't just say "oh these handfull of people had bad experiences move on". You reach out and say I see you've had a bad experience how can we work on making it better? These "bad experiences" are what people will tell others and those are missed customers. So that handfull of people become a much wider group. Especially when there are many other companies I can get the same parts from without worrying if I will have a "bad experience". Just my thoughts on it.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Silver '04 S4

If you need parts go with FCP Euro, you can never go wrong with a lifetime replacement guarantee and excellent customer service.
    I 2nd this. Good pricing too, especially on OEM replacement parts.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Q5 Quattro, S-Line, Black Edition, 2.0 TFSI

Quote Originally Posted by A4_PimP View Post
    I don't have any parts from JHM and I prob never will that's my personal choice. I have read experiences from posters I trust in the A4 section. You can say people with bad experiences will be vocal. But if you're a company you should be paying attention to those bad experiences. JHM is in the forums I've seen their posts. As a company you can't just say "oh these handfull of people had bad experiences move on". You reach out and say I see you've had a bad experience how can we work on making it better? These "bad experiences" are what people will tell others and those are missed customers. So that handfull of people become a much wider group. Especially when there are many other companies I can get the same parts from without worrying if I will have a "bad experience". Just my thoughts on it.
    I usually donít contribute much but felt I should here. I agree that people should have the right to voice their bad experiences, and also that most who have good experiences just quietly enjoy. I have only bought JHMís tune and FI exhaust. They shipped to UK in good time and to be honest am happy with both of these products. Oh also the 034 intake hose. I am seriously considering their SC as well. I donít remember seeing one owner of their SC kit complain. Probably other ways to make power on this platform but it really seems like the most proven. So this is my positive review of JHM for what it is worth.
    Cheers, Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Silver '04 S4

Ok well since this thread has completely gone off the rails and is now about JHM, here's my 2c.

JHM's customer service, from my experiences, has been pretty poor. I find them very difficult to get answers from and hard to get a hold of to begin with. This was the case early one for me but their support has gotten a lot better over the past few years.

Are their parts expensive and result in little gains on our naturally aspirated cars...yes. But I was already aware of this and knew what I was getting into well before I ordered any parts from them.

But to say their parts are "garbage" (ie: their parts are not well made or are of poor quality) as stated by a commenter above, is disingenuous at best and only illustrates that this person has some sort of petty bias against JHM.

Established Member Two Rings BrilliantBlkS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 S4

Welcome to the Brilliant Black S4 club