Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Three Rings Mr.Jetta's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    The color is person is incredible. (you will have to come see it, or come to some meets!) Very dynamic with the pearl effect, and pretty elegant too. It flows very nicely with the silver & chrome accents, and definitely gives the car different look than other S4 colors. Obviously I am partial.

Yes, west burbs now but i work in Lincolnshire and the City. Not driving it in the snow is a disgrace to quattro, but salt life sucks too.. I have a daily with winter tires I can drive, and a set of winters that came with this. So I have choices, but I will probably only take it out a few times to enjoy the drivetrain.
    B6 S4 Avant - GWGP

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Jetta View Post
    The color is person is incredible. (you will have to come see it, or come to some meets!) Very dynamic with the pearl effect, and pretty elegant too. It flows very nicely with the silver & chrome accents, and definitely gives the car different look than other S4 colors. Obviously I am partial.

Yes, west burbs now but i work in Lincolnshire and the City. Not driving it in the snow is a disgrace to quattro, but salt life sucks too.. I have a daily with winter tires I can drive, and a set of winters that came with this. So I have choices, but I will probably only take it out a few times to enjoy the drivetrain.
    I agree. It was great living in Denver, didnít have to worry about it. This is just the summer car, though, so it doesnít bother me. I personally take the L to work and Uber around the city. Itís nearly impossible keeping your car free of damage living in the city and Iím actually looking forward to moving to the burbs. Definitely interested in seeing it in person at some point.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    GL450, CLA250, Honda Accord

Hello Devin....I just now figured out who Mr Jetta was that was texting me on the manual swap.. How is everything coming along? Cant wait to hear some sound clips with your baller set of headers you got there :)
    Audi S4 Avant track project. JHM tune, manual swap, JHM LWFW, JHM stage 4 clutch, JHM linkage trio, JHM intake spacers, JHM tensioner, 034 end links (front and rear), 034 Rear sway, 034 transmission mount, Apikol rear diff mount, ECS tuning Engine mounts, Stasis Motorsport Ohlins suspension, Brembo 18z BBK, VW Phaeton brake ducts, Red optima battery, Recaro Speed seats, Militek Catless DPs, Fast Intentions exhaust

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    GL450, CLA250, Honda Accord

And Devin keep building that 4.2 man!!! I drive mine a lot harder than most on here and its pushing 196k... Going to get some compression numbers at the 200k mark.. The M3 and Brz guys at the track love seeing a wagon hit 3 wheels in a corner. Im not sure what your exact intentions are with the engine but do be prepared to shell out $ if something catastrophic happens.. I would just buy a used engine now to slowly piece together, that is, if you plan to really drive the car hard.... From the wear on track days I have had to replace, radiator, a couple inner CV boots and remove an overheating tiptronic to a manual. Not to mention tires and brakes
    Audi S4 Avant track project. JHM tune, manual swap, JHM LWFW, JHM stage 4 clutch, JHM linkage trio, JHM intake spacers, JHM tensioner, 034 end links (front and rear), 034 Rear sway, 034 transmission mount, Apikol rear diff mount, ECS tuning Engine mounts, Stasis Motorsport Ohlins suspension, Brembo 18z BBK, VW Phaeton brake ducts, Red optima battery, Recaro Speed seats, Militek Catless DPs, Fast Intentions exhaust

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jdsb6s4 View Post
    Hello Devin....I just now figured out who Mr Jetta was that was texting me on the manual swap.. How is everything coming along? Cant wait to hear some sound clips with your baller set of headers you got there :)
    Hi! I have ordered a few things for the swap, to take advantage of black friday sales: Clutch & FW, trio, mounts, etc. Still need to source a majority of the OEM parts though. I think I have a low mileage trans from a friend lined up. Subframe, diff, DS, pedals, shifter, etc, still all need to be figured out and sourced. Ideally a parts car with a bad motor or really cheap car will show up locally for this, otherwise i just keep an eye on the classifieds. Priority 1 is making sure the engine can be used and that it only needs the timing service.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdsb6s4 View Post
    And Devin keep building that 4.2 man!!! I drive mine a lot harder than most on here and its pushing 196k... Going to get some compression numbers at the 200k mark.. The M3 and Brz guys at the track love seeing a wagon hit 3 wheels in a corner. Im not sure what your exact intentions are...
    I intend on having a capable, well rounded daily/weekend fun car. It wont see much track time time, if any - so some of the long-term wear parts you have mentioned, I will hopefully avoid. I will def make a few 1/4 mile passes and drive it spiritedly though. Just more of a GT inspired car. I have a commute, and travel for work/life a lot, and this car drives like a dream!

Progress update:

Over the holiday weekend I was finally able to hoist up the assembly, and get the trans/block separated. We had to dremel a lower stripped bolt, and heat/penetrate the others. It was close! but she gave way, and we got each piece on a dolly for further work.

After they were apart, I started the breakdown of the longblock. Covers, IM/fueling, mounts, etc. Things didn't look as bad as I was expecting, main guide is cracked, others look okay. Need to pick up a 24mm wrench, and reposition my wood blocks to access crank pin, so I can get the locking tools in and pull the stuff off. My driver side bank cams aren't parallel with the head surface, but my passenger side is. Hopefully a little nudge is all I need to get things trued up. Not sure if the broken tensioner is enough to cause this variance or if I have a bigger problem. FWIW, the only codes thrown before I took it apart were misfires and air/fuel related.

Habit I try to keep up with, since I work on this car once a week. I prefer this over baggies at times.

Need to pull plugs and check out the walls, before I commit to the TC work, then hopefully get it re-assembled, cleaned/degreased, and built back up for installation.

Having fun!
    B6 S4 Avant - GWGP

Veteran Member Four Rings xhackerekx's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04S4B6_09S8D3_08Q7 3.6_A4B6 3.0_VN730

3 years ago I did same things
    u need help with immobilizer when u installed new or used ecu or cluster included correction millage ? I can did this for you .

Active Member Two Rings alex911s's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Awesome color!! and great work..
    Current Cars:
    2005.5 Audi S4 Avant
    2013 Audi Q5 2.0T
    2007 911 Turbo stg1/Markski TCU tune

AZ Member #

Couple updates, over the holidays and past few weeks I was able to get the following done.

1) JHM V2's came back from coating. Its like a dull polish/faded chrome, but It is the most effective coating jet hot has, and I think it will play nicely for my end goal color scheme.

Raw vs. Coated, comparison

2) Drove 6hrs to Wolf Auto, to get my 6mt swap kit. Cool place! And plenty of things to L@@K @.

Would ya just look at it?

Wagon friends

Comparison - its easy to see why the Autos weigh a bit more than the manuals

And for when you need to get the car off the quickjack, and get it moved so house repairs can be made, I introduce to you this anxiety provoking rig.

But - silver lining is I got to get a small sample of how the RPF1 fitment and look will be. Threaded in 10 of my new 034 studs, and mounted up two new wheels.

Motor Update -
    Using a borescope I was able to rotate the engine and evaluate the walls. I have minimal scoring (about 2-3mm thick vertical lines) in 2 cylinders, oily/dirty pistons on two others, and the other 4 are relatively fine for a motor with 160k. I am going to perform a leakdown test next, before I commit to the next step. I am leaning towards rebuilding the heads, and re-ringing the pistons. I have a reputable machine shop I am speaking with to discuss options. As such, I am looking into upgrades for the heads. So far I have found JHM, Supertech, and Techtonics Tuning. If anyone has some insight here I would be happy to hear it. Committing to this makes me feel better, but also delays the project and means more $$ to be spent. Oil usage wasn't bad on the drive back to Chicago from Boston. And I would hate to have to pull the motor again just to do what I should have done in the first place. Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for checking in, see classifieds for some more parts that are going up for sale.
    B6 S4 Avant - GWGP

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Looks like mine, lol.

I'm rebuilding my heads and re-ringing the pistons. I picked up a JHM valvetrain and new rings from a member on here. Keep an eye on the classifieds or post up a wanted ad. Great way to save some bucks That exhaust looks pimp. I'd love to put on some JHM headers but when you factor in the price of the rebuilt heads, bottom end, and timing components the dollars add up quick! If I can come up on some used headers I'd most definitely pull the trigger.

The secondary rings were shot on my motor. Compression was still good. I think the rings were sealing with oil that was bypassing the secondary ring giving somewhat false readings. When I performed a wet test the values barely jumped. Leakdown was 14% and up.

When I pulled the rings and measured the end gaps the compression rings were around .065 (.080 is service limit) but the secondary rings were at least 2x the service limit. I was consuming 1 qt per 200 miles or so. Hard to say exactly where the bulk of my oil was going as the guides were waaaaaay out of spec with 2 mills of stem to guide play easy. I think it was just death by a thousand cuts, lol.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Looking good! Envious of those headers. I just couldn't swing it this time around.

Veteran Member Four Rings Mr. Corey's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audis

Headers are looking great!!! Cars about to get woken up!!!!
    B6 Nogaro with lots of mods
    BUILD THREAD

Photography Website www.coreymaywalt.com

Veteran Member Three Rings MantanaB6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A bunch of bikes and skis.

I'm Devin - this is my S4 Avant

Dang those headers look sexy! Were the dirty pistons 5/6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Previous: B6 S4 Avant Tip Goodwood Green w/ JHM goodies (gone but not forgotten)
    B6 A4 Avant 3.0 Tip Light Silver
    B5 VW Passat 1.8t 5-spd Candy White

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12