Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: HVAC issues

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A4 Avant, 05 Silver S4 2.7t swap

HVAC issues

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Road trip this weekend. Noticed that after a while running the AC that it no longer blows air regardless of what fan speed is set to. Turn AC off for a while and on restart things are normal but the after a while same thing. It sounds like itís trying to blow air and it still feels cool.

In doing a search I found that there is a blower motor resistor that can overheat. Seems like this would cause the symptoms I am having.

Any additional insight or things to look for? No codes in VCDS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings PaperToast's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Quadzilla

you're on the right track with the resistor
    what also happens is the motor can just give up for no reason
    you can try and replace the resistor, what i've done in the past is replace the whole fan assembly, just easier that way
    Rockin' the Rockies
    '01 allroad, 240k woot woot, still boosting on original turbos and tippy, slightly more modified. . .

Scotty@Advanced, "Push it off a cliff, when it hits the ground you should have a few thousand horsepower available for a brief second."

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaperToast View Post
    you're on the right track with the resistor
    what also happens is the motor can just give up for no reason
    you can try and replace the resistor, what i've done in the past is replace the whole fan assembly, just easier that way
    Thanks. I saw them as separate parts when I searched. Will start with the resistor and go from there.

Veteran Member Four Rings rollerton's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S6 Avant X TWO! and 67' Speed buggy

Are you saying the HVAC fan is just not blowing at all? Or just not *cold* air?

The fan is right behind the glovebox and very easy to get to. I replaced mine with one off Amazon for about $35 I think. If it doesn't blow at all check fuses, then I'd go pull the glovebox out. You'll see the big RED/ BRN connector. Jump 12V hot to the red wire and see if it spins. I bet it's not the resistor if the fan isn't working at any speed.
    foley803 : What does an electrical surge sound like? Barking dogs? Watermelons?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rollerton View Post
    Are you saying the HVAC fan is just not blowing at all? Or just not *cold* air?

The fan is right behind the glovebox and very easy to get to. I replaced mine with one off Amazon for about $35 I think. If it doesn't blow at all check fuses, then I'd go pull the glovebox out. You'll see the big RED/ BRN connector. Jump 12V hot to the red wire and see if it spins. I bet it's not the resistor if the fan isn't working at any speed.
    It works just fine both fan speed and temp when turned on initially. After a period of time it stops working. It still feels cold and sounds like the motor is working but nothing is coming out. Turn it off for 15-20 minutes and restart and it works like normal. Like the resistor is overheating. Could be the blower motor I guess too. Will start with the resistor.