Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings bshanna's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    94 MR2, 92 MR2

Reputable tow in Denver?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Need to get my B5 towed (quattro) the catch is it's in my work garage downtown (6'8" maybe 6'6" of clearance to be safe) and backed into a spot next to a pylon. It's easy enough to roll around so maybe that's not a big deal but i definitely don't think i have clearance for a flat bed. Also, the ramp out of the garage is pretty tight. There is another exit that has a less tight turn but it's on B2 (i'm on B1 currently) and getting the car down there is a pretty tight corkscrew as well...

Back story: Car will turn over but ever catch, no dash lights, haven't had a chance to scan for codes... Battery seems fine. Before not starting, when i drove it into work, the i started it that morning in my garage and it immediately died. I started it immediately again and it seemed fine so i didn't think much of it. Then about a block from my office (only 2 miles away) as i was taking off from a stoplight it stalled out. I immediately started it in the intersection, it started as i was rolling and drove the two blocks to the garage. That night i was going to take my friend to pick up his car from the shop and it wouldn't start at all (Turned over, never caught). I got back to the garage and tried it again and it started, struggled for a second but then idled like normal and like an idiot, just moved the car to a different part of the garage thinking i'd be able to get it out later. Tried to start it today to get it to the shop and it wouldn't catch. Once it started, struggled and died, then wouldn't catch again.

bret

OEM windshield sunshade, rear seat pet cover, microfibre clothe, official audi camelbak water bottle, beanie

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 RS 5; 2018 RS 3

Don't have a particular tow company recommendation, but an idea for the logistics, you could put your tow hook in the front (I assume the B5 has a spot for a front tow hook?), put it in neutral, and have a [regular] truck or SUV pull you out while you are steering in your car. You shouldn't tow with that method for long distances, but just to get it out of the garage will be fine.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    94 MR2, 92 MR2

Yeah i've been trying to figure out exactly where it is, i think it's behind the right (passenger) fog grille, at least i've seen pics of the A4, not sure if it's the same on the RS. It doesn't have anything like my B6/7/8 have though with the plastic cover that reveals the hole you screw in the hook to. What you suggest is what i've been thinking about trying to do as well... i'm gonna head over and check for codes too. I have an old land cruiser i should be able to use but it doesn't fit in the garage lol.

OEM windshield sunshade, rear seat pet cover, microfibre clothe, official audi camelbak water bottle, beanie

AZ Member #

Are you in the ramp “up” or “down”? Maybe you can get 2-3 guys and give you a good push and coast down to the entrance of the ramp?

Sent from my
    2018 SQ5 - Daytona, Prestige

*Sold*2011 S4 - EPL Dual Pulley + TCU - 20" BBS LM - Bilstein B12 - APR RSC Exhaust
    Deval CF Diffuser - Maxton Splitter - USP Intake - MercRacing HE - CR15 -AutoTech HPFP

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    94 MR2, 92 MR2

It's a basement garage, i'm on the first level of it. The quickest way out is up a pretty steep ramp up and pretty sharp succession of turns... could definitely get a push down to the lower level to have better access to the ramp that has a much gentler path out but i just don't want to make it worse by making assumptions :/

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by bshanna View Post
    It's a basement garage, i'm on the first level of it. The quickest way out is up a pretty steep ramp up and pretty sharp succession of turns... could definitely get a push down to the lower level to have better access to the ramp that has a much gentler path out but i just don't want to make it worse by making assumptions :/
    sucks.. how about a rope tow from a pickup to get you out of the ramp? Or maybe a mobile mechanic?

*Sold*2011 S4 - EPL Dual Pulley + TCU - 20" BBS LM - Bilstein B12 - APR RSC Exhaust
    Deval CF Diffuser - Maxton Splitter - USP Intake - MercRacing HE - CR15 -AutoTech HPFP

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    94 MR2, 92 MR2

yeah that's a thought i've had as well... i don't think my land cruiser fits (it didn't used to but i've had new suspension installed since i tried last time). I'm hoping to get back to it tomorrow and maybe it will start for at least 30 seconds or so and i can get it out on its own power... we'll see. Will still need a flatbed from there though, i'm sure.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Hate to ask but have you put some fuel in it just to make sure you have enough gas if its a new to you car. Bad sending units and transfer tube between the tanks can cause this also.
    Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to the on position without starting? If you dont, fuel pump relay may be bad or going bad also. Can always also run 12v direct to the pump to see if it reacts also, under passenger rear seat.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    94 MR2, 92 MR2

Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post
    Hate to ask but have you put some fuel in it just to make sure you have enough gas if its a new to you car. Bad sending units and transfer tube between the tanks can cause this also.
    Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to the on position without starting? If you dont, fuel pump relay may be bad or going bad also. Can always also run 12v direct to the pump to see if it reacts also, under passenger rear seat.
    There's just under half a tank in it right now, i think it should be enough? I can here a pump prime i'm pretty sure. it's a light buzz when i turn the key to ready for 1-2 seconds...

AZ Member #

The reason I ask is I had a similar situation with a new to me Audi quite like this. Each half of the tank has its own sender and the left side under the driver rear seat has a transfer mechanism that moves gas to the main tank on the driver side when it goes down. If this mechanism is not working you only get the half a tank on your driver side actually feeding the motor. My gauge also read halfway when I ran out of gas as it did have half a tank in there, it just could not get it to the motor. Learnt to keep my tank topped off till it was fixed. Not sure if this is what your are experiencing but I had no codes or any other issues. Car ran great and then would slowly start sputtering out(felt like misfires), especially if I got into boost and would eventually die after a few miles.
    C5 A6 Stage 3
    MKIV Supra TT
    LX570

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    94 MR2, 92 MR2

The reason I ask is I had a similar situation with a new to me Audi quite like this. Each half of the tank has its own sender and the left side under the driver rear seat has a transfer mechanism that moves gas to the main tank on the driver side when it goes down. If this mechanism is not working you only get the half a tank on your passenger side actually feeding the motor. My gauge also read halfway when I ran out of gas as it did have half a tank in there, it just could not get it to the motor. Learnt to keep my tank topped off till it was fixed.
    Interesting! i've had it at a quarter tank before and filled it up once, this problem seems new to me. Berg also suggested that i don't add more gas in the case that it was the fuel pump to not 'snuff it out'.

AZ Member #

If its been down to a quarter before probably not it but it sounded very similar. Have had a fuel pump go before and it was made no sound whatsoever when I turned the key so I new it was the case. Had a full tank of gas also but with these the pump is removed and replaced from the top so not that bad. Its like a 30 minute job if you swap the whole basket.
    C5 A6 Stage 3
    MKIV Supra TT
    LX570

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    94 MR2, 92 MR2

Yes i've only filled it up once (only really owned it for a month or so and didn't drive it for insurance reasons for most of that). I literally have less than a hundred miles on it. I'm pretty sure i have the receipt, i can check how much gas i put in. I'm almost positive i hear it prime, but again, the car is so new to me i'm not 100% sure. I've been looking at replacing the pump myself, didn't seem too hard but this garage isn't exactly well lit or an ideal place to do the work. I was going to try and start it one more time tonight to try to get it out of the garage, we'll see how it goes. I'm also not sure if the rs4 pump is readily available..

AZ Member #

I see, well good luck. Maybe if all else fails and it doesnt start, just put in a small amount like a quarter or half gallon to in to see if it fires. Cant imagine that would cause any issues.

If your cruiser is too tall, mine lowers so may be able help you drag it out of the garage if you run out of options.
    C5 A6 Stage 3
    MKIV Supra TT
    LX570

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    94 MR2, 92 MR2

I see, well good luck. Maybe if all else fails and it doesnt start, just put in a small amount like a quarter or half gallon to in to see if it fires. Cant imagine that would cause any issues.

If your cruiser is too tall, mine lowers so may be able help you drag it out of the garage if you run out of options.
    Thanks man, appreciate it. I'm up for trying anything right now.

We should meet up again sometime, i imported in a 91 HZJ77 RHD turbo diesel - my garage is a 6'6" garage and i think i'm basically at 6'7" :/ But i'll let you know, i appreciate the offer!

AZ Member #

Nice, 70 series diesel is pretty sweet! Will definitely need to check it out sometime.

Also if you need to drop it a little with a static lift in an emergency. Just air down the tires some. Little bit of a pain but if you have a compressor not that bad.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    94 MR2, 92 MR2

Nice, 70 series diesel is pretty sweet! Will definitely need to check it out sometime.

Also if you need to drop it a little with a static lift in an emergency. Just air down the tires some. Little bit of a pain but if you have a compressor not that bad.
    Thanks man, it's been pretty sweet. Had a little death wobble but have all new suspension on it now and it's good to go.

I've thought about that, would be very close. I need to organize something at that point because other people are a littler nervous to drive a RHD manual. Just tried to start the RS and no go this time around. I did find my receipt and i put almost 13 gallons in so i think it was pretty low (And is now just below half). I might just call a tow truck and see what they have to say, i don't know that i really want to mess around with this right now :/

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    94 MR2, 92 MR2

Called Wes's towing in arvada, they didn't have a truck that could fit in a 6'6" garage. Asked my work garage how they towed cars out and they suggested ATP so i called and scheduled. They showed up relatively on time with a truck that wouldn't !@$!#%!#'n fit so that was a waste. Aaron from Berg literally came down to my garage and pulled it out and trailered it up to the shop and fixed the problem (failed fuel pump). Now That's freakin service.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by bshanna View Post
    Called Wes's towing in arvada, they didn't have a truck that could fit in a 6'6" garage. Asked my work garage how they towed cars out and they suggested ATP so i called and scheduled. They showed up relatively on time with a truck that wouldn't !@$!#%!#'n fit so that was a waste. Aaron from Berg literally came down to my garage and pulled it out and trailered it up to the shop and fixed the problem (failed fuel pump). Now That's freakin service.
    Those guys are fucking awesome.. Huge thumbs up to Berg!!