Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Leaking water pump and/or thermostat

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Has anyone replaced the water pump and thermostat on their S3? I am pretty sure the intake manifold (as well as everything connected to it) has to be removed. I'm looking at doing this job on my own and am having trouble finding any kind of guidance. If anyone has any suggestions or advice, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Audizine mobile app

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Oh, and here's a pic of the leak from below. 20181003_204709.jpeg20181003_204637.jpeg

Veteran Member Four Rings MikTip's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You really need a manual...or some sort of guide / referance material....factory repair manual...online video....

Also are you certain the waterpump and or thermostats leaking?

That doesnt look like G13 coolant...

Also, its dry.

Waterpump, thermostat are always "wet" leaks as the system pressureizes it pushes out coolant.

Pink G13 coolant.
    2015 S3

2004 B6 A4 USP

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MikTip View Post
    You really need a manual...or some sort of guide / referance material....factory repair manual...online video....

Also are you certain the waterpump and or thermostats leaking?

That doesnt look like G13 coolant...

Also, its dry.

Waterpump, thermostat are always "wet" leaks as the system pressureizes it pushes out coolant.

Pink G13 coolant.
    I appreciate the reply and I would love a manual. I did watch some youtube videos but I could not locate one of the procedure for an S3. The only ones I could find were for a 2014 VW Beetle R and a mk6 GTI.

With regard to the question if it is actually leaking the short answer is: yes, it is. First, the whitish film in the picture is actually pinkish in real life. Second, I smell coolant from that area of the engine bay (i.e., not anywhere else) when I pop my hood, and, finally, I had a low coolant light pop up a couple of weeks ago and sure enough the amount in the reservoir was slightly below the minimum amount line.

It is a very slow leak but I am going to address is asap so as not to court disaster.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RelentlesS4 View Post
    I appreciate the reply and I would love a manual. I did watch some youtube videos but I could not locate one of the procedure for an S3. The only ones I could find were for a 2014 VW Beetle R and a mk6 GTI.

With regard to the question if it is actually leaking the short answer is: yes, it is. First, the whitish film in the picture is actually pinkish in real life. Second, I smell coolant from that area of the engine bay (i.e., not anywhere else) when I pop my hood, and, finally, I had a low coolant light pop up a couple of weeks ago and sure enough the amount in the reservoir was slightly below the minimum amount line.

It is a very slow leak but I am going to address is asap so as not to court disaster.

PM'd you
    2015 S3

2004 B6 A4 USP

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

just had my leaking thermo housing replaced. warranty covered.
    Last edited by 949; 10-08-2018 at 12:58 AM.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

2015 S3 here, just had it replaced under warranty. Car has around 65,000km but it had been slowly leaking for a while

Active Member One Ring incognino's Avatar
    AZ Member #

2016 S3 here. Had mine replaced under warranty at about 38k miles.

Established Member Two Rings Hard-Knocks's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A3

Another 2015 S3 with pump replacement under warranty.

A few months ago, had just left the dealership after my 35k regular maintenance and a warning light for coolant came on. Returned to the dealership immediately and they told me the water pump was leaking and required replacement. After asking a few more questions, I was told that these cars were all having this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Armagedon!

Audi recalls 1.1 million vehicles for defective water pumps!!

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/a...e-water-pumps/

A potential fire in a car is never a good thing, which is why Audi is recalling 1.16 million vehicles worldwide for coolant pump issues. Of those, 342,867 units are in the US that include the 2013-2017 A4 sedan and Allroad, 2013-2017 A5 coupe and cabriolet, 2012-2015 A6 and 2013-2017 Q5 crossover SUV equipped with the 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine.

Audi says the water pump problems can lead to a potential vehicle fire in a couple of different scenarios. Under the first, debris can get lodged inside the water pump and cause it to short-circuit. The other has moisture within the pump also causing a potential short-circuit. In either case a short-circuiting coolant pump increases the chance of a vehicle fire.
    2015 S3

2004 B6 A4 USP

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

My water pump/thermostat failed pretty much right after warranty, good news was the pump/thermostat isn't that expensive, and the newer water pump is metal rather than plastic on mine. And it isn't that difficult to replace even as a DIY, but my main problem was the Y connector cracked causing most of the leak, so be sure to check all hoses/connectors while you're there...

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by larbel View Post
    My water pump/thermostat failed pretty much right after warranty, good news was the pump/thermostat isn't that expensive, and the newer water pump is metal rather than plastic on mine. And it isn't that difficult to replace even as a DIY, but my main problem was the Y connector cracked causing most of the leak, so be sure to check all hoses/connectors while you're there...
    That's a great tip, thanks larbel!

Established Member Two Rings MkUrMark's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Iíve had 2010 GTI, 2012 Golf R, and now 2016 S3. I hate to say it but all of them smelled like coolant at one point. 2 of them had water pump replacements on warranty periods. I am convinced VAG canít find reliable manufacturing for their water pumps.
    2016 S3
    12' Golf R:. Stg 1+sold
    10' Gti sold
    06 A4 sold

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MkUrMark View Post
    Iíve had 2010 GTI, 2012 Golf R, and now 2016 S3. I hate to say it but all of them smelled like coolant at one point. 2 of them had water pump replacements on warranty periods. I am convinced VAG canít find reliable manufacturing for their water pumps.
    Thats their secret!

If the parts lasted forever...they would never make money!

IMO, its a funky design, however I'm sure several engineers spent hundreds of hours on...

One day they may get it right...
    2015 S3

2004 B6 A4 USP

Active Member Two Rings Rod__Knee's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Good thing I decided to browse the forums cause Low coolant light came on for the first time in my 2017 A3 with about 19,000 miles....checked the coolant and was way below minimum. Did the 50/50 G13/water mix and topped it off. Made an appointment with the dealer next month since itís due for service anyway soon. Iím pretty sure I have the same problem. Ugh.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Problem fixed. I took the car to New German Performance in Maryland and they replaced the water pump, thermostat housing, belt, and joiner. It turned out the leak was from the thermostat housing and not the water pump. The shop said that the location of my leak is atypical / uncommon. Regardless, hopefully this one lasts longer than 40k miles.