Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

power/performance changes with new tires

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Okay who here's a physicist? Lol.

I have enough power in my car now that I get several chirps of wheel spin whenever I launch the car (guessing I'm about 420-425hp), so I was thinking I might benefit from a little more grip. My thinking was to stick with the Continental Sport Contact 6 tires but go up to a 255 rather than the 245s the car comes with stock. So I'm gaining 10mm of width but also about 1/4" of total tire height.

Do you think the extra power it will take simply to turn the tire will offset the additional grip I'll be getting? The 255s are more expensive as well so there's that to consider. I know I'm nitpicking but I'm trying to shave a tenth here and a tenth there from my 1/4 mile time. Eventually it adds up. Thoughts?

Established Member Two Rings samwisemueller's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '18 S4, '18 Tiguan

Get Nitto NT05s in 245/35/19 or go with RE-71R or PS4S in 255/35/19, just the extra width in the same compound won't likely make as much difference (or as much as you are hoping for) as a better and softer tire compound. If you are only using them for 1/4 or drag, get some lightweight 9" wide wheels and sticky 255 rubber. 200 treadwear or lower would be best, the Contis you mentioned are 240 treadwear. I realize that isn't the only story told by the UTQG, but it's a suitable measuring stick in general. I don't do 1/4 stuff but I'm sure there are better compounds than the ones I mentioned for drag racing. I come from a road course background which is different but some rules still apply.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

appreciate the feedback buddy. I don't wanna go too soft on the compound bc the car IS my daily driver and I don't wanna have to replace tires every 5k miles, nah mean?