Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings Yabi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Toyota Prius 5

Question Does your B9 get attention?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    This topic is admittedly stolen from another forum but I thought it to be a good discussion. Does your B9 S4 or RS4 get attention?

In Audi-laced Raleigh, NC I would say I havenít seen much from strangers. Iíve had an occasional BMW challenge me on the road, but no real comments at the gas station or thumbs up from pedestrians. When I drove a Mustang for a short period, and when I had my Charger, I received both regularly but not with the S4. This makes me believe that maybe it was more the support of an American muscle car then it was make or model. I will add that when I was in South Jersey, where Audis are less common, I received a few complements... but hardly anything in my home city.

What about you?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    18 S4, 18 Q5

We have three Audi dealers, one BMW, and Mercedes. Audi's aren't special here. What is special? Audi's outside of the three year lease window. You don't see as many of those. American muscle is what really stands out here among the pickups, crossovers, and minivans. I see strangers go up to these people every time I'm filling up and there's one parked at a pump. Same thing for anyplace I'm running errands at.

I've only been blown by once from a BMW and have never received a comment from a stranger. I do get a hard time about it at work because of the perception of the car and my job being blue collar, but there's a ton of pickups in the lot that cost as much or more.

For this season of cars and coffee, I've been the only B9 parking there so far which surprises me. No comments there either. Maybe there's some negative perception with the car being "new" among the other Audi guys, like I'm trying to be something I'm not. Maybe I'm just not outgoing enough.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Nope, and thatís the way I like it.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Audi is understated. Most just see it as a "luxury VW" ... S4 or other s models fairly go incognito around the Ny/Nj area. Base to S model only a few would be able to tell the difference. Whereas with a charger rt and charger SRT the difference is much more in your face. Imo i like the incognito factor.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Audizine mobile app

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    18 S4, 18 Q5

I should add that I have received silent "props" a number of times, and by that I mean when I go somewhere and come out and there's another Audi parked next to me, which usually is an S model. Last time was both a B8.5 S4 and SQ5, and the time before that was another B9 S4. I park just far enough away not to have anyone park by me, but not so far away to draw attention from doing so. While I definitely didn't get the car for attention, this always makes me smile.

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Mops@Nemesis's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '18 S4, '16 SQ5

I was actually stopped this morning at the gas station. Older guy wanted to tell me how good it looked. He was driving a JSW TDI. In all of my county, there are only 3 other B9's that I'm aware of. It's a rural area, and Euro's aren't too common. So my vehicles get a good bit of attention in general. I'd say the AirGate and pipes draw others to my S4 more than anything. This car sounds pretty nutty rolling around. I had a 4.2 TT R8 with straight pipes for a few months last year. The attention was over the top. It was rare that actually parked it without getting into a conversation. And when you are driving a car like that, you cannot be that guy, and blow people off. So I always engaged. I would jokingly say, if I'm gonna drive the R8 today, I better head out around 5am if I'm going to complete the days tasks LOL.
    034Motorsport | Advan | AG | Akrapovič | AWE | BBS | BC Forged | Brembo | Capristo | Deval | Forgeline | H&R | KW | Milltek | OZ | Sparco | Stoptech | TSW | Volk | Vorsteiner | Work | and many more

Established Member Two Rings Nez136's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Mostly older guys comment on my car. I live in Milwaukee, an area with a lot of MB, bmws and Audi SUVs. Audiís donít get a lot of attention by me unless itís the occasional kid driving a b8 or 3 series.
    Use to see a few R8s around but not much anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    '11 S4
    '05 Evo 2.3 HTA35r

Established Member Two Rings wam22's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I usually only get attention from other German car owners/enthusiast. Being in the Midwest all of the car shows are almost exclusively mustangs and challengers/chargers and the foreign cars are mostly ignored unless they are Italian. I don't mind not getting attention but it surprises me that people gawk over base challengers with curb rash, scratches, and missing parts while ignoring my fairly customized S5.
    B9 S5 Coupe l Daytona Gray with Magma Red Nappa Leather
    AWE Custom Track Exhaust l DTUK Tuning Box l Hartmann Wheels l 034 Rear Sway Bar l 034 Front Strut Brace l K&N Cold Air Intake l EMD RS Grille
    Past: B8 A5 with APR Stage 1 Tune
    Former Audi Sales/Current BMW Sales

Active Member Two Rings Filipao's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have debadged my S4 Avant since day one.

And I hate the attention I get thru the exhaust noise.

If one needs attention, the S4 won't be the right choice.
    Last edited by Filipao; 10-04-2018 at 01:25 PM.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    VW GTI

I get compliments all the time on my car. There's not a ton of S4's running around here.

Established Member Two Rings Southern's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Before the mods, the attention was few and far between. Post-mods, at least 3-4 times/month, but I'm also out on the road quite a bit more than normal.
    2018 | Daytona Gray | Premium Plus | Nav | B & O | Nappa leather | navigation package | sport package

Active Member Two Rings mlewisii's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 S4 Prestige and 2018 Q3 P+

Quote Originally Posted by Diokhan View Post
    We have three Audi dealers, one BMW, and Mercedes. Audi's aren't special here. What is special? Audi's outside of the three year lease window. You don't see as many of those. American muscle is what really stands out here among the pickups, crossovers, and minivans. I see strangers go up to these people every time I'm filling up and there's one parked at a pump. Same thing for anyplace I'm running errands at.

I've only been blown by once from a BMW and have never received a comment from a stranger. I do get a hard time about it at work because of the perception of the car and my job being blue collar, but there's a ton of pickups in the lot that cost as much or more.

For this season of cars and coffee, I've been the only B9 parking there so far which surprises me. No comments there either. Maybe there's some negative perception with the car being "new" among the other Audi guys, like I'm trying to be something I'm not. Maybe I'm just not outgoing enough.
    I live just outside of Detroit, and your response is WORD FOR WORD my exact response to this topic. Not one person has said nice car, or acknowledges that it is an S4. A couple of neighbors said that it was nice, but I know it was only because it was brand new. (Not one of them is even remotely any kind of car guy.) Coworkers and friends give me a hard time, as if I'm driving a Rolls. (I work for an industrial hydraulics company) I have not seen another B9 S4 on the road here yet. I once saw a B9 S5 SB, but he was on the other side of the road. I'm not sure why, but I really expected more acknowledgement from John Q. Public. I actually got more complements on a four cylinder Mustang rental that I had for roughly two weeks, than I have for my S4.
    My Car - 2018 S4 Prestige, Daytona Gray, Black Nappa, S-Sport, DAP, 19" Wheels
    Wife's Car - 2018 Q3 P+, Cortina White, S-Line, Nav.

Veteran Member Four Rings redline380's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    3 B5's

I commute highway 10 to 35e every day and have maybe seen one or two b9 s4s. And really only a couple b9 a4s. I've seen way more sq5s. Hell, my wife owns one. But I get a few nods when I bring my b5 s4 into work. Maybe htere are more b9s over in Minneapolis? I stick to St. Paul.

With that said, even if I do spot something, I simply assume they are not an enthusiast and just someone who buys Audi because it is a "premium" brand.
    "The American people already know that Bill Clinton is a bad boy, a naughty boy. I'm going to speak out for the citizens of my state who in the majority think that Bill Clinton is probably even a nasty, bad, naughty boy." Former Senator Idaho Senator Larry Craig, the man with a wide stance.

2001 A4 1.8TQMS Mods- GT2871R, Maestro, All things that are good.
    2000 A4 Avant 1.8TQMS- Daily Driver
    2000 S4- Working?

Active Member Two Rings mr.memeyogirl's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Audi's IMO are more toned down compared to BMWs or even Mercedes Benz. To the average person they really wouldnt know the difference between an A4 or an S4 unless of course you see the badge or the quad tips vs dual tips, but that too is more so if they are into cars and know the significance. I get some compliments here n there but mostly cause of my exhaust. I would consider our cars "sleepers" compared to the other 2, they arent super flashy or over the top/in your face aggressive like BMW M cars or even AMGs. Even the RS cars arent as aggressive IMO, I passed by a RS7 the other day and didnt even know it was a RS7 until I saw the badge on the back. As you with American cars (SRTs, Mustang GT/GT500, Hellcats, etc...) they do have there own appeal to the average person, cause i mean who doesnt want a big burbly V8 lol. Going back to German cars, look at the new 3 series they just announced, it just looks more aggressive and eye catching than our cars and Im sure you'd get more attention in that. But thats why i went with an S4 vs a 340i, people are usually surprised by the performance plus id rather talk to another enthusiast about my car.
    2018 Audi S4 Premium Plus- Glacier White/Magma Red
    Instagram: asaptowelie (personal) corsadesignofficial (business) - Follow Me

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Toyota Prius 5

Great replies thus far. It's interesting to see that the attention for American Muscle transcends across the nation.

I do get a hard time about it at work because of the perception of the car and my job being blue collar, but there's a ton of pickups in the lot that cost as much or more.
    I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes is envy or jealousy... or maybe they just like busting balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Mops@Nemesis View Post
    I was actually stopped this morning at the gas station. Older guy wanted to tell me how good it looked.
    Did he happen to comment on my future wheels???

Quote Originally Posted by Nez136 View Post
    Use to see a few R8s around but not much anymore.
    Same. I'm meeting more and more Model S 100D's and P100D's yet less of these Supercars. I keep telling the wife an R8 is my next car, even if it's used

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Before the mods, the attention was few and far between. Post-mods, at least 3-4 times/month, but I'm also out on the road quite a bit more than normal.
    Please share the mods!

Quote Originally Posted by mlewisii View Post
    I actually got more complements on a four cylinder Mustang rental that I had for roughly two weeks, than I have for my S4.
    This seems true! I have had similar experience which I think is wild. I guess it proves that all of Ford's marketing over the years regarding the Mustang has really paid off.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.memeyogirl View Post
    Audi's IMO are more toned down compared to BMWs or even Mercedes Benz. To the average person they really wouldnt know the difference between an A4 or an S4 unless of course you see the badge or the quad tips vs dual tips, but that too is more so if they are into cars and know the significance. I get some compliments here n there but mostly cause of my exhaust. I would consider our cars "sleepers" compared to the other 2, they arent super flashy or over the top/in your face aggressive like BMW M cars or even AMGs. Even the RS cars arent as aggressive IMO, I passed by a RS7 the other day and didnt even know it was a RS7 until I saw the badge on the back. As you with American cars (SRTs, Mustang GT/GT500, Hellcats, etc...) they do have there own appeal to the average person, cause i mean who doesnt want a big burbly V8 lol. Going back to German cars, look at the new 3 series they just announced, it just looks more aggressive and eye catching than our cars and Im sure you'd get more attention in that. But thats why i went with an S4 vs a 340i, people are usually surprised by the performance plus id rather talk to another enthusiast about my car.
    Well sad!

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Mops@Nemesis's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '18 S4, '16 SQ5

Quote Originally Posted by Yabi View Post
    Lol he did! Said he loved the color, and the style suited the car. Funny though, as I went with them because they're not the same old style you see on most Audi cars. 😛
    034Motorsport | Advan | AG | Akrapovič | AWE | BBS | BC Forged | Brembo | Capristo | Deval | Forgeline | H&R | KW | Milltek | OZ | Sparco | Stoptech | TSW | Volk | Vorsteiner | Work | and many more

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi RS4 2.9 TFSI

Great replies thus far. It's interesting to see that the attention for American Muscle transcends across the nation.

I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes is envy or jealousy... or maybe they just like busting balls.

Same. I'm meeting more and more Model S 100D's and P100D's yet less of these Supercars. I keep telling the wife an R8 is my next car, even if it's used

Please share the mods!

This seems true! I have had similar experience which I think is wild. I guess it proves that all of Ford's marketing over the years regarding the Mustang has really paid off.

Well sad!
    Probably you wouldn't enjoy RS4 eather :)
    It is unfortunately a head turner and catching a lot of attention as well.
    Last car I owned that did that it was a blue Subaru Impreza Turbo in the days of Colin McRae.People went crazy about this things back in the day.
    I don't really mind course I love cars and talk about them with people who share the same passion but my absolutely hates that :)
    MY18 B9 Audi RS4 Avant / MY14 Fiesta ST

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Toyota Prius 5

Quote Originally Posted by Mops@Nemesis View Post
    Lol he did! Said he loved the color, and the style suited the car. Funny though, as I went with them because they're not the same old style you see on most Audi cars. 😛
    Caaaaan't waait!

AZ Member #

Please share the mods!

Vertini RF1.3 19x9.5, Michelin 4s 265/35/19, dropped on KW HAS kit. Nothing too crazy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    2018 | Daytona Gray | Premium Plus | Nav | B & O | Nappa leather | navigation package | sport package

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Toyota Prius 5

Vertini RF1.3 19x9.5, Michelin 4s 265/35/19, dropped on KW HAS kit. Nothing too crazy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Great photo, looks stunning!

Active Member Two Rings mr.memeyogirl's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You'll definitely be turning some heads with those wheels
    2018 Audi S4 Premium Plus- Glacier White/Magma Red
    Instagram: asaptowelie (personal) corsadesignofficial (business) - Follow Me

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mr.memeyogirl View Post
    You'll definitely be turning some heads with those wheels
    Thanks, gents!

AZ Member #

Beautiful!! I take it they are ECS carbon extensions on the bumper. The mirror covers with the wheels - Nice!
    Any rubbing anywhere, arches or struts?
    What are the wheel offsets, or other mods to keep the wheel/tyres within the arches? In saying that, we have the OEM 245MM P Zeros on 9" wheels, ET40, but the P Zeros have so much rim protection (which, by the way, still does not prevent slight gutter rash), they are a smidgen outside the arches. They will be going shortly for Michelin PS4s.
    '17 B9 S4 Avant ~ Daytona Grey ~ 'quattro' Sport Diff ~ Pano Roof ~ Black Package ~ Carbon Fibre Inlays
    PLUS OZ Racing black 19 x 9 wheels ~ Audi C/Fibre mirror caps ~ DTUK Tune/Pedal boxes & TCU Tune ~ De-badged ~ Eibach Springs ~ 034 M/sports rear bar ~
    RS style s/s black tips ~ Relak s/wheel paddles ~ Goodridge s/s braided lines ~ PowerStop ceramic pads~ RS style black grille & carbon effect 'OOOO' ~ Puddle LEDs 'OOOO'/'Audi' & 'quattro'