Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RV4 Toyota

Audi S4 4.2 litre V8 Timing chain and clutch Repairs

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    A little background.
    The car developed a serious rattle which was obviously a broken timing chain tensioner.
    Have removed engine and gearbox (quite a lot of work) and found the usual broken tensioner, but timing still OK.
    Most of the rest of the timing section looks fine, so against trade advice, am only going to replace worn or broken parts to save lots of money - the car is really only a powerful toy.
    Can do this because have access to all the necessary tools, am a professional mechanic and have plenty of spare time (now largely retired) but not much money.
    Have a few questions and would like some help please.

The timing chains are all quite tight except for the one which drives the oil pump etc and this seems to have quite a lot of slack even when the tensioner is mechanically pushed to try to take up the slack.
    Is this slack to be expected please, will the hydraulics sort it out when running or will I need a new "curly " tensioner ?

The dual Mass clutch has a some rotational play and will probably need to be replaced.
    The proper dual mass one is very expensive and at the risk of a loss of smoothness, will it be OK to fit a normal one. If I do fit a normal one, can I use the old dual mass flywheel (perhaps skimmed)?
    My son says he would just weld it up solid - but he is an agricultural engineer !!

The water-cooled alternator bearings are a bit rumbly and I intend to change them and fit new brushes.
    I could not believe that you have to lift the engine quite a long way to remove the alternator - what would a garage charge to do that simple job, luckily we have the engine out already ?
    I usually work on restoring Classic cars and motorcycles (often from the 50s but also veteran cars, a 1902 de-Dion Bouton and a 1908, Alldays and Onions) and my Vincent Motorcycle.
    The Audi S4 exercise will be quite expensive eg. around 1000 for parts when only replacing the obvious worn out/broken ones but I have usually found with some ingenuity and making some parts there is great satisfaction in doing an economical repair.
    Thanks for your attention.

Veteran Member Four Rings fR3ZNO's Avatar
    AZ Member #

What year is your S4? I think you're in the wrong section... looking for B6/B7 S4 section I think.
    "If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RV4 Toyota

My s4 is 2004

You are no doubt correct but I cannot find the B6/B7/s4 section to put the question in

Active Member One Ring 4Ringsof4ury's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Audi S4 (SOLD)

You need to go to the B6/B7 section.

Veteran Member Four Rings fR3ZNO's Avatar
    AZ Member #

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche