Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Fun: 74 VW Station Wagon Bus Fleet: 2013 Fit Sport, 1998 Accord, 2002 Jetta 1.8t

Allroad folding spare trouble

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I had the misfortune of needing to use my spare yesterday. When I got it out to inflate it the pump made zero progress. Switched the pump off and heard a quick hiss as what little air it put in the tire quickly escaped.

A close look shows that the tire was off the bead. I ended up taking it to a nearby tire shop to have them inflate it. After fixing the original tire I deflated the spare hoping that it would stay on the bead. It did not.

IMG_0006.JPG

A quick test of the small compressor got the same results. Is there a trick to get this spare back on the bead and usable?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Last edited by bob.os; 10-03-2018 at 03:43 PM.
    2004 4.2 allroad full-body Atlas Gray

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

fun dangerous way.. starter fluid ;)

can try less fun but safe way, ratchet strap around the tire compressing bead to hold air in. Also using an air compressor that has a storage tank not one like stock might help.

safest way but may cost a few bucks, tire shop with a machine that has the ring around it that has jets to force air in to seat the bead.. or does stretched tires and has one of those air cannon things. basically a tank you'd bring to a race track to fill your tires but with a nozzle on it.
    80 rabbit pickup, 98 TJ 4bt cummins, 00 180TTQ 6spd, 02 Freelander, 03 Allroad 2.7t 6spd swap now with K04s, 06 A3 2.0T w/GT3071R (2012 JSW TDI and 2015 GSW TDI now in TDI purgatory )

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Fun: 74 VW Station Wagon Bus Fleet: 2013 Fit Sport, 1998 Accord, 2002 Jetta 1.8t

Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
    fun dangerous way.. starter fluid ;)
    That's one way to add some adventure to a roadside wheel swap :)

I keep a ratchet strap in the well with the tire. I may try that to see if it will take on some air, but with the way the tire folds I do not think that it will push the tire bead out to the edge of the wheel. I am also going to experiment with deflating it slowly to see if I can keep it from sliding off when it folds.
    2004 4.2 allroad full-body Atlas Gray

Veteran Member Four Rings PaperToast's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Quadzilla

yeea, shoulda had the tire shop take care of that while you were there, dont want to mess around with that without the proper equipment
    even though the starter fluid method is fun . . . .
    Rockin' the Rockies
    '01 allroad, 240k woot woot, still boosting on original turbos and tippy, slightly more modified. . .

Scotty@Advanced, "Push it off a cliff, when it hits the ground you should have a few thousand horsepower available for a brief second."

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I had the same issue with mine, these don't age well, the rubber is too hard and instead of folding, the bead pulls back off the edge of the rim. I put some Sikaflex on the bead, inflated the tire with a big compressor and let it dry. Now the bead is glued to the rim and won't pull away. If the bead is not well sealed the little 12v compressor has no chance.

Veteran Member Three Rings JediJoker7169's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by WagonGuy View Post
    I had the same issue with mine, these don't age well, the rubber is too hard and instead of folding, the bead pulls back off the edge of the rim.
    Well, yeah... The newest of these tires as originally fitted are 13+ years old. Time to replace the tire.
    - JediJoker

"Dieselgate" / 2011 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI 6-speed

FORMER: "Das Boot" / 2001 Audi A6 2.7T quattro sedan:
    RS4 clutch / 710N DVs / 2Bennett Stage2 GT front 6-piston Brembo 350mm/rear 311mm / Bilstein PSS9 / Hotchkis Sport anti-roll bars / 034 Density adjustable front UCAs/Track Density front shock mounts/spherical ARB end links / O.Z. Superturismo LM 18" x 8" / Hella E-codes / LED tails / Facelift rear license plate trim