Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings Fast Co's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Headlight Switch Questions

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I parked my new Ď03 S6 at work the other day, glanced out a few hours later and the parking lights were on. I went out to check and the switch was turned off. Hazard switches went bad in both of the other C5 S6s Iíve had, so I disassembled, cleaned and reinstalled but same symptom. I got a new replacement switch, again no result. Now Iím thinking itís the headlight switch.

Both of the other cars lost the turn signal (steady on - no blink). This time the parking lights are on when the hazard switch is connected. Disconnect the switch, lights off and obviously no turn signals.

Apparently the hazard switch was a red herring, before I order a headlight switch I figured Iíd ask here.

I found a thread from 2013 about euro switch and fog lights on with parking but not headlights.

2 birds with one stone?
    Another red herring?
    Suggestions?

AZ Member #

Update... I swapped the headlight switch with a known good one from the RS6 and same result. I have tried all 3 of my hazard switches.

What next? Ground?
    '02 RS6 Avant 6 speed
    '03 S6 Avant 6 speed
    '89 964 C4 5 speed

Veteran Member Four Rings rollerton's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S6 Avant X TWO! and 67' Speed buggy

So; parking lights ON all the time, even with ignition turned off.

They DO turn off when hazard switch is removed?
    Do they turn off if you unplug the headlight switch? If so, that's gotta be your problem. If not it STILL seems like a bad hazard switch; somehow?
    I'd check/ replace the fuse for the parking lights, I have no idea how that would cause it, but it's an Audi..so for a problem like this it's bound to be weird.
    After that I guess I'd start pulling the connectors out of the HL switch and see what turns them off, do some wire tracing? I don't think that a ground can complete the park lights circuits, those lights are not 12V hot unless the switch it turned.
    foley803 : What does an electrical surge sound like? Barking dogs? Watermelons?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by rollerton View Post
    So; parking lights ON all the time, even with ignition turned off.
    Yes. Light switch off, key in pocket.

[/QUOTE] They DO turn off when hazard switch is removed?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[/QUOTE]Do they turn off if you unplug the headlight switch?[/QUOTE]

I think I pulled the hazard switch out first, didn't try with hazard switch connected while headlight switch is out.

[/QUOTE]If so, that's gotta be your problem. If not it STILL seems like a bad hazard switch; somehow?[/QUOTE]

I noticed that the new switch has an extra pin at the top right where neither of my "vintage* switches have one. But the two older switches did exactly the same thing.

[/QUOTE]I'd check/ replace the fuse for the parking lights, I have no idea how that would cause it, but it's an Audi..so for a problem like this it's bound to be weird.[/QUOTE]

Haven't tried that but was planning to do so. Maybe I should open up the switches and clean again? The car isn't here with me right now, I'll post an update after more troubleshooting.

[/QUOTE]After that I guess I'd start pulling the connectors out of the HL switch and see what turns them off, do some wire tracing? I don't think that a ground can complete the park lights circuits, those lights are not 12V hot unless the switch it turned.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestions!
    '02 RS6 Avant 6 speed
    '03 S6 Avant 6 speed
    '89 964 C4 5 speed

AZ Member #

I pulled the fuse (#2, small 10A), it looks fine. Replaced it, pulled the headlight switch out and reconnected the hazard switch, same result. When the hazard switch is connected (any of the 3 that I have), the 4 ways are constantly on, regardless of whether the headlight switch is connected.
    '02 RS6 Avant 6 speed
    '03 S6 Avant 6 speed
    '89 964 C4 5 speed

Veteran Member Four Rings rollerton's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S6 Avant X TWO! and 67' Speed buggy

So: if the hazard switch is installed the 4 ways are lit, even with the headlight switch REMOVED?

That's actually kind of strange. This happened out of nowhere one day huh?
    Can you tell 100% which filament in the bulbs is staying lit? There would be 2, one for the turn signal one for the running light. Are we talking about the turn signal or parking lights?

So..more details- when you turn the Hazards on, headlight switch installed just like normal, between blinks can you tell if the bulbs go completely out?
    Do the turn signals work normally or when you turn LEFT do they all flash? IF you turn left do the right side bulbs dim or blink or anything?

If it is indeed the turn signals 4-ways that are stuck on you either have a bad hazard switch or bad turn signal switch. I think there is some software in the ECU / ABS or Cluster modules that can activate turn signals (such as output test in the cluster or crash signal) but that seems sooper unlikely..
    foley803 : What does an electrical surge sound like? Barking dogs? Watermelons?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by rollerton View Post
    So: if the hazard switch is installed the 4 ways are lit, even with the headlight switch REMOVED?

That's actually kind of strange. This happened out of nowhere one day huh?
    Can you tell 100% which filament in the bulbs is staying lit? There would be 2, one for the turn signal one for the running light. Are we talking about the turn signal or parking lights?

So..more details- when you turn the Hazards on, headlight switch installed just like normal, between blinks can you tell if the bulbs go completely out?
    Do the turn signals work normally or when you turn LEFT do they all flash? IF you turn left do the right side bulbs dim or blink or anything?

If it is indeed the turn signals 4-ways that are stuck on you either have a bad hazard switch or bad turn signal switch. I think there is some software in the ECU / ABS or Cluster modules that can activate turn signals (such as output test in the cluster or crash signal) but that seems sooper unlikely..
    Yes, hazard switch connected, headlight switch disconnected... four ways on (constant). I walked around the car and there is light at every corner.

Yes it happened out of the blue. You may know this car, I bought it from Dan in Idaho, it's aqua blue pearl with 6 speed swap. I've been driving it almost every day and it has been great, I really like it. I had it shipped here and the truck driver mentioned that the alarm had gone off somewhere along the way. I attributed that to jostling on the truck. I've put ~600 miles on since then and never had this issue until it just appeared one day. I drove it to work (~12 miles) and everything was normal. I just happened to glance out toward the parking lot a couple of hours later and noticed the "parking" lights seemed to be on. I had the key in my pocket and the headlight switch was *off*. I didn't think to note which filament but that's a good point.

Hazards on, headlight switch in place, 4 ways are on constant - no blink. I can hear the relay click when i connect/disconnect the hazard switch. Turn signals do not blink turning in either direction, constantly on... or off with hazard switch disconnected.

Bad turn signal switch sounds plausible. Does that mean replace the stalk? Is there a way to test it before buying a new one?
    '02 RS6 Avant 6 speed
    '03 S6 Avant 6 speed
    '89 964 C4 5 speed

Veteran Member Four Rings PaperToast's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Quadzilla

if there is a relay that controls the on/off of the lights (and i bet there is), i wonder if the relay failed in the 'on' position
    Rockin' the Rockies
    '01 allroad, 240k woot woot, still boosting on original turbos and tippy, slightly more modified. . .

Scotty@Advanced, "Push it off a cliff, when it hits the ground you should have a few thousand horsepower available for a brief second."

AZ Member #

The relay that I hear is definitely the hazard switch. I can't tell which of the two relays inside the switch but it clicks when I plug the switch to the connector.
    '02 RS6 Avant 6 speed
    '03 S6 Avant 6 speed
    '89 964 C4 5 speed

AZ Member #

The car has been parked in my garage for several days with the hazard switch disconnected, on a battery tender. I plugged the switch back in and same result, all 6 (front, rear, fender) turn signal lights were lit. I did check the fronts, it is the upper brighter bulb. I left it with switch connected and hazard lights on. The lights flashed on/off a couple of times, then they stayed on solid. I heard the relay click and I noticed the light on the battery tender also blinked. It has been about ten minutes now with no change. I'm going to remove the hazard switch and leave the tender on.

So that seems like a grounding issue? Where to start looking?

Meanwhile, not to hijack my own thread, I have been daily driving the RS6A and enjoying the heck out of it.
    '02 RS6 Avant 6 speed
    '03 S6 Avant 6 speed
    '89 964 C4 5 speed

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 Silverado V8, 06 Touareg V8, 03 RS6 V8TT, 01 allroad, 01 A6 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Co View Post
    The car has been parked in my garage for several days with the hazard switch disconnected, on a battery tender. I plugged the switch back in and same result, all 6 (front, rear, fender) turn signal lights were lit. I did check the fronts, it is the upper brighter bulb. I left it with switch connected and hazard lights on. The lights flashed on/off a couple of times, then they stayed on solid. I heard the relay click and I noticed the light on the battery tender also blinked. It has been about ten minutes now with no change. I'm going to remove the hazard switch and leave the tender on.

So that seems like a grounding issue? Where to start looking?

Meanwhile, not to hijack my own thread, I have been daily driving the RS6A and enjoying the heck out of it.
    Going to need more info/pics on the rs6a

Let me pull out the Bentley and see what I can find for the lighting diagram.
    -dre

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 Silverado V8, 06 Touareg V8, 03 RS6 V8TT, 01 allroad, 01 A6 6MT

Iím having a hard time not believing itís the hazard switch.

Pull it out and verify with a multimeter that you have 12v coming out of the hazard switch with it plugged in. Bentley shows a black/white and a black/green coming out of the turn signal switch that feed your blinkers directly.

If you have 12v on these wires with the hazard switch plugged in, the hazard switch is triggered or stuck closed.

Even if your turn signal stalk was bad, I donít see how it could fail in such a way that both L and R were trigged at the same time.

I canít seem to find the trigger wires from the stalk, but if theyíre working you could verify voltage when you have the key on and hit the turn signal.

Hope this helps.
    -dre