Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Question Cold Start Exhaust Rattle

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    After installing a new exhaust I have been getting some rattle noise that happens mostly on cold start. I had a chance to get under my car this weekend and take a look at possible problem areas. I believe I have found the spot but need some help figuring out the best solution. It seems that my exhaust is hitting against what I would assume is a chassis brace. See picture.

https://imgur.com/a/oRJv2Ve

My first guess was to get a better hanger to give a little more clearance to the exhaust. I however think it will be way to difficult to find a hanger that is only about .25-.5 inch shorter. I also believe I can't go with a much shorter hanger due to the rattle possibly moving to another section of the exhaust that is close to the chassis. I was thinking that maybe I can use some kind of high temp foam/rubber on the top of that brace and between the exhaust. Does anyone have any idea a product that may be able to help in this situation?

Active Member Two Rings BrilliantHolmes's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Take a look at your turbo wastegate system. If it is loose it could cause the rattle you describe. You would notice the rattle most when the RPM’s are coming back down.
    2011 A4 Avant:
    APR Stage 2 ECU Tune, 034Motorsports High Flow cat, K&N Typhoon Intake, 19" RS4 7-Spoke Wheels, RS Style Black Mesh Grille, De-badge, De-chrome... more on the way

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Maybe it is related to the turbo getting to a minimum operating temp.