Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring Kadomcbest's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Possible centre diff issue?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I just took my car out camping, figured id have a little fun on the muddy road (clearly not my brightest idea). Usually im careful with how i bag my car and the road was flat enough and very slippery. My car is now making a rough grinding noise, almost like my driveshaft is making steady contact with my undercarriage (if i had to compare it to something) when i turn right and engage the clutch to accelerate, this continues throughout the first gear until im straightened out. I believe the sound is coming from my centre diff but i could be wrong. The sharper i turn, the worst the grinding is. The sound doesnt happen at higher speeds and i have noticed no difference in the side to side pull of the car when i do accelerate. No clunking from my cv either. I apologize if theres already a thread to this, i couldnt find the exact thing that im experiencing. Thanks for the help.

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Have you looked underneath it to see if anything visually appears out of place?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You smashed your exhaust pipe into the heat shield that sits in between the exhaust pipe and the driveshaft. So now the heat shield is rubbing on the driveshaft.

Source: I have a somewhat upsized 2.5" stainless exhaust that I got hung very tight to the bottom of the car (for ground clearance purposes). At the tightest point there is about a 1" gap between the exhaust pipe and the driveshaft. This is right at the front of the rear differential. If I bottom out on something, the exhaust will push up and bend the heat shield. After this, the heat shield will rub on the differential input cup and/or driveshaft rear CV joint, especially in Reverse or Decel because it pushes the diff nose downward. I just have to get under there and tweak the shield a little and it's good to go.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    2006 Passion Red Volvo V50 T5 AWD 6MT
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380