Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Best oil for k04 stage 3

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    As title says looking for the best oil for my stage 3. I'm in philadelphia so it is getting cooler now. Looking what's best for the turbos.

Established Member Two Rings mp3driver's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 VW beetle TDI <--its the wifes!

SRM has a list of oils that have been proven to aid in longevity. Find the list on their website. Http://www.sillyrabbitmotorsports.com

Itís all because I own a B5 and LOVE IT!!!
    2001.5 S4
    6MT Swapped
    Still my Favorite Car!

Veteran Member Four Rings MacDaddy's Avatar
    AZ Member #

SRM is listing oils soley on if it has ZDDP or not, he was even recommending motorcycle oil which is actually less lubricating than car oil due to its requirement to be compatible with wet clutches. Also your bearing clearances and oil passageways have a bigger role in what viscosity you should run than what turbos you have.

Personally i run Liqui Moly 5w40 year round. If i was in a warmer climate id probably run 10w40 (if it was arizona id probably do 15w40 in the summer) and a colder climate 5w-30.

Keep in mind 5w-40 is whats recommended for all on north america, from florida to the yukon, changing what oil you use *slightly* (ie. not 20w50 tar) to suit your climate is never a bad idea.

AZ Member #

Yep I just bought 5w/40 sticking with it.. Just thought there would be a better or healthier choice for the k04s.

Veteran Member Four Rings vavJETTAw36's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Best oil for k04 stage 3

Oil preference is like underwear preference.

Choose whatever oil is going to make you feel good about running. If that means boutique oil then so be it. If that means the cheap proven shell rotella t6, then so be it.

In my opinion if youíre not racing it then just choose something decent and change it every 5k with a Mann filter.

FWIW i run liqui Moly 5w-40 year round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 S4 Black, 2001 Ram 1500 Off-Road

The best thing for getting oil to the turbos in the cold is just using synthetic. I'd look at the same weight, but something with really good film strength. Stock weight synthetic should make it non-viscous enough to get to the turbos even in the cold, but high film strength will protect bearings without having to use higher weight.

I'd love to experiment on this so I could say I know and I'm not just full of it lol but it does elaborate on https://www.blauparts.com/audi-oils/...otor-oils.html , mentions that oils with high temp/shear will last fine, except maybe going super harsh for like 30 minutes.