Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Seattle drivers, what's your winter tire setup?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys, just moved here from SoCal and with winter coming up soon I'm not sure what to do on tires. I'm currently running summer tires but once winter comes I plan on making trips to the mount at least 1-2 times a week. My current tires are horrible in snow so I am willing to get a winter setup. For those in the Seattle area that frequent the slopes, do you typically run all seasons or non-studded winter tires?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 08ISF View Post
    Hey guys, just moved here from SoCal and with winter coming up soon I'm not sure what to do on tires. I'm currently running summer tires but once winter comes I plan on making trips to the mount at least 1-2 times a week. My current tires are horrible in snow so I am willing to get a winter setup. For those in the Seattle area that frequent the slopes, do you typically run all seasons or non-studded winter tires?
    Depends on where you plan on going. If you need winter tires to go up to Stevens or Snoqualmie pass it's snowing REALLY hard and might want to avoid it because they plow them often.

IMO all season tires are fine and for the love of God please don't run studded

Sent from my SM-G955U using Audizine mobile app

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Iíve run Conti DWS all seasons on my previous R32 in the snow and while they did ok, they didnít even compare to a true winter tire. Since then I have run Blizzaks LM25ís, WS70ís and now WS80ís on my current S4. If you are planning trips twice a week or more Iíd certainly recommend winter tires versus all seasons. The car is damn near unstoppable with the winters on.
    '14 S4 P+ DSG 034 Stage 2, AWE Touring, AWE S-Flo
    '14 A4 S-Line Sport Package 6MT - Totaled
    '12 Tiguan SEL 4MO.
    '03 Mustang Cobra "Stock"

Veteran Member Three Rings 4RCFED's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    12' Audi S4, 18' Discovery HSE (V), Durango R/T (sold), ML350 (sold)

I decided to put on new Bridgestone Re980 AS because I donít think Iíll need winters here as I never had them back home. If I was heading up to ski twice a week and it was my only car, Iíd consider winters though.
    2012 S4 DSG, Ibis, Nappa, sports diff, EPL stg 1 ECU/TCU, Eurocode intake, 034 TM, X-pipe, C-Quartz, Akebonos, BFI shift knob.

Senior Member Three Rings REVOofRustler's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I throw a set of Blizzak LM32s on my S4 when the temps get below 40. I don't get up to the passes much in the winter, but I have 0 issues when I do!
    2004 S4 Avant 6MT Dolphin Grey
    | JHM Tune | JHM Short Throw Shifter Trio Package | Fast Intentions Dual 2.5 Resonated Catback | JHM 4:1 Center Diff | BC BR Type Coilovers | Hotchkiss Rear Sway Bar
    Instagram: tha_notorious_b | rotational.media

Senior Member Three Rings wangshuo1989's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Depends on where do you drive in winter, if only in city area all season is totally fine. If you want to go skiing then buy another set of wheel/snow tires. I hate skiing so all season works fine for me.
    2013 S5 Misano Red, DSG, B&O, Sport Diff, MMI+, CTS 180mm crank pulley (7PK1300 APR belt), APR Stage II, APR TCU tune, CR15
    2018 XC90 Inscription, B&W sound, Convenience Pkg, Air suspension

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I have Michelin pilot sport A/S for trips to the mountains and I have had no issues so far in the s4. I don't go frequent though maybe three times in a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Four Rings JeriQo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

i run summer tires all year in the city.
    2012 BB A4 P+ S-line Exterior |FBSW RS Paddles/Pedals|CR-15|AFE Filter|ECS inlet|S4 Dual Exhaust|Ace Convex 19x8.5|ECS 10mm rear|Solowerks S1

Veteran Member Four Rings NaiveTurtle's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Blizzak WS-80 is probably the best. I've run Blizzak LM-60s, they're good in the rain but when it gets real cold they aren't as good.
    2008 GMG World Challenge 6MT []S5 Ibis White Matte Metallic Purple/Black Alcantara
    [Mods - GIAC 91 Tune | GMG WC Sport Downpipes | GMG WC Sport Cat-Back | GMG WC Front & Rear Sway Bars | AP Racing 6-Piston Front BBK | 20x9.5 HRE P40's | Accuair B8 Sport Kit]
    2004 Ocean Blue Metallic A4 Avant
    Instagram: @NaiveTurtle

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Conti DWs on the B5. Garage it from November until April.

The daily on the other hand has had the firestone winterforces and did fantastic.

I'll see myself out.
    01 Nogaro 605, AMD tuned with custom no-mod list signature.

Senior Member Two Rings mys4.org's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Audi S4 2.7t

I try always to run winter tires starting in November-March. Mainly because when we do have the few snow storms, you are glad you have them to get around the people that leave their cars scattered around the road. Plus all the hills around here, it is kind of must. Yes all season are good and will get you going if you have AWD but they don't have the stopping power when going down a hill.

That all said, I just got a B8.5 S4 and was looking at snow tires, but good god have they gotten expensive. This might be one of my first years where I do run all seasons during the winter.

Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I've run summers all year around for a few years, but I've generally always run all seasons in the past and never had an issue. After getting nearly caught out at work when it snowed mid-day two years ago in Bellevue (chanced it going home and quite nearly got into a very bad situation on a hill but I got lucky and made it) and encountering some absurdly sketchy conditions driving all seasons to Montana a few winters ago, I've finally gotten proper winters for this year.

You can do it with all seasons, even going to the pass twice a week, but at this point, I'm not longer interested in rolling the dice, no matter how small the chances of something bad happening. I'm by no means Mr. Safety, but a good set of all seasons are more expensive than proper winters and I have dedicated summers so the main "benefit" of all seasons isn't relevant to me.
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S plugs - Q5 Rear Aero Wiper
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I go up to the mountains just about every weekend, and I strongly suggest some winter tires, either studdless ice/snow or performance winter tires - depending on how you like to drive. All-season's never let me down, but there was a clear performance limit, especially braking on snow. When I switched to studdless, the difference was night and day - snow performance was vastly improved, but the dry and wet cornering left me wanting more. I decided to switch to performance winter's and have never looked back.

IMO, tires are not worth skimping on, as they're the only thing connecting you to the road. Having a summer and winter setup is the way to go.

Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #

^^ preach.
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S plugs - Q5 Rear Aero Wiper
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic