Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran Member Four Rings superswiss's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnhanson View Post
    In fact - the ride in dynamic was almost nauseating. I find it hard to describe, basically uncomfortably harsh but also had this artificial floating sensation as well. While itís on rails around corners it otherwise has one of the worst rides Iíve ever experienced.
    I believe turdzi has an RS4. The RS4 is tuned a little different than the RS5 and it's a station wagon. I think the B9s character works well for a station wagon. I agree with you, nobody who buys a 2-door coupe looks for practicality all that much or a sensible car and expects something a little more bonkers than the B9 RS5 I think. I can understand that some like it, because they are probably mostly commuting to work or don't really have fun roads around them, so low end torque street light to street light acceleration and the occasional onramp is about all the fun that can be had.

Regarding the suspension, I didn't notice the float, but yes for anything other than fast driving, Dynamic mode is super harsh. I do actually kinda like that. It provided great body control flying through the canyons at high speed, but as soon as I hit a slow section it was pretty much unbearable. So my biggest issue wasn't that it was harsh in Dynamic, but that there is no dedicated button to quickly adjust the suspension setting. I love that in the AMGs and Ms. I found myself having to cumbersomely go back and forward between Individual with a softer suspension setting and Dynamic depending on the road.

The AMG and M cars are pretty harsh in Sport+, too, but it's much easier to adjust the suspension w/o having to adjust the overall mode every time. I also like how with the new C63 S you can just push the drive mode selector dial on the steering wheel and it immediately activates Individual mode and then when you push it again it goes back to the previous mode. With Audi you always have to cycle through the modes and I can never seem to remember which direction is faster to get to the mode I want, especially if I'm flying through the canyons and wanna quickly adjust something and as opposed to the R8 and TTRS, you can't adjust the mode from the steering wheel unless you program it to the * button, but then you end up cycling all the way around to get to the next mode. That's just more thought out in the AMG where now there are buttons and dials on the steering wheel to control all the driving aspects.

I did read some German magazine reviews about the RS5, and one thing they complained about was that the Dynamic suspension mode on the Autobahn was pretty terrible at high speeds to the point where the car was not very confidence inspiring. You also kinda see that in the Motortrend head to head between the C63 S Coupe and the B9 RS5 where they did a high speed run. The C63 S stayed rock solid at those speeds, where as Lieberman was starting to get scared in the RS5 and had to dial it back as the car was kinda going all over. So, in the canyons the suspension did work for me pretty well, but the lack of ease of adjustability is kind of a show stopper and knowing that it kinda falls apart at higher speeds isn't very confidence inspiring especially since I'm going to do European Delivery and now that's a no-go anyway with Audi killing the program at the end of this year.
    '13 panther blk RS5, Ti pkg, blk leather/alcantara, nav pkg, sport exhaust, driver assist pkg, rear shade, alu kreuz, ECS spacers 15f/10r, ECS tru-float rotors, ECS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, european delivery
    '07 phantom blk S4, blk leather, 6mt, conv pkg, audio pkg, heated front&rear seats, bluetooth, nav plus, parktronic, DTM pkg, carbon trim, TPMS, rear&side shades (sold)

Veteran Member Three Rings Johnhanson's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by superswiss View Post
    I believe turdzi has an RS4. The RS4 is tuned a little different than the RS5 and it's a station wagon. I think the B9s character works well for a station wagon. I agree with you, nobody who buys a 2-door coupe looks for practicality all that much or a sensible car and expects something a little more bonkers than the B9 RS5 I think. I can understand that some like it, because they are probably mostly commuting to work or don't really have fun roads around them, so low end torque street light to street light acceleration and the occasional onramp is about all the fun that can be had.

Regarding the suspension, I didn't notice the float, but yes for anything other than fast driving, Dynamic mode is super harsh. I do actually kinda like that. It provided great body control flying through the canyons at high speed, but as soon as I hit a slow section it was pretty much unbearable. So my biggest issue wasn't that it was harsh in Dynamic, but that there is no dedicated button to quickly adjust the suspension setting. I love that in the AMGs and Ms. I found myself having to cumbersomely go back and forward between Individual with a softer suspension setting and Dynamic depending on the road.

The AMG and M cars are pretty harsh in Sport+, too, but it's much easier to adjust the suspension w/o having to adjust the overall mode every time. I also like how with the new C63 S you can just push the drive mode selector dial on the steering wheel and it immediately activates Individual mode and then when you push it again it goes back to the previous mode. With Audi you always have to cycle through the modes and I can never seem to remember which direction is faster to get to the mode I want, especially if I'm flying through the canyons and wanna quickly adjust something and as opposed to the R8 and TTRS, you can't adjust the mode from the steering wheel unless you program it to the * button, but then you end up cycling all the way around to get to the next mode. That's just more thought out in the AMG where now there are buttons and dials on the steering wheel to control all the driving aspects.

I did read some German magazine reviews about the RS5, and one thing they complained about was that the Dynamic suspension mode on the Autobahn was pretty terrible at high speeds to the point where the car was not very confidence inspiring. You also kinda see that in the Motortrend head to head between the C63 S Coupe and the B9 RS5 where they did a high speed run. The C63 S stayed rock solid at those speeds, where as Lieberman was starting to get scared in the RS5 and had to dial it back as the car was kinda going all over. So, in the canyons the suspension did work for me pretty well, but the lack of ease of adjustability is kind of a show stopper and knowing that it kinda falls apart at higher speeds isn't very confidence inspiring especially since I'm going to do European Delivery and now that's a no-go anyway with Audi killing the program at the end of this year.
    Yeah that totally makes sense. The RS5ís dynamics would translate well to a station wagon.

Iíve had my car at 280kph and the only thing scary was how confidence inspiring it was. The feeling of sinking lower to the road and a tightened steering wheel is amazing. I had the B9 RS5 to (hidden ;) ) kph and I certainly did not feel confident. It actually felt like my old X6 50i when I would hit 230-240 and the front end started to float a bit. Understandable in a 450hp SUV...not in a flagship performance car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 Audi RS5 Coupe | Phantom Black | Everything except ceramics | Capristo | Eventuri | 15/10 H&R | Rotors when it's cold | V-Spokes when it's warm
    2015 BMW X5 35d Msport | it runs on kerosene | notsport | baby seat

dead and gone.....
    2012 BMW X6 50i | it had a bike rack
    2010 Ram 1500 | hhhhemi
    2008 Mazda RX-8 | it go-karts
    2006 Infiniti G35 coupe | my lady
    1998 Eagle Talon esi | no turbo powers

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi RS4 2.9 TFSI

Quote Originally Posted by superswiss View Post

Totally agree. Drive Select is find in a regular car not a sports car when you want instant access to adjust suspension or other things.
    Even Giulia QV has a separate button for suspension so you can adjust it in click not several operations.

When it comes to suspension in Dynamic I actually don't think that it's that bad. In my wife's Fiesta ST it was a lot worse.It was almost unbearable but it might happen that again RS4 has a different calibration.I drive in Auto most of the time and think it is a good compromise but it lacks some body control when you begin to push it to hard than you have to switch to Dynamic.
    I remember some time ago I drove A45 AMG with some AMG pack and I remember that suspension on that car was like a concert. It is the only thing I remember about that car. Dynamic in B9 is definitely not that hard but it is on the hard side so it is not perfectly suitable for day driving.Thankfully Auto and Comfort do the job.
    MY18 B9 Audi RS4 Avant / MY14 Fiesta ST

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12