Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

EA839 Engine Seizures

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello,

I am currently a proud and happy Mercedes customer. I was severely annoyed with the first and only Audi I once owned, which was the B7 A4. At this point, I am evaluating two options, both would be new vehicles. 1) 2019 S class, and 2) 2019 A8. I really want to buy the latter, but having been burned once by Audi, I am being very careful with my next decision.

The EA839 engine which is found on the B9 S4, will be used on the 2019 A6/7/8 models, and a variety of Porsche models (Porsche Panamera, Cayenne, Macan) to list off a bunch. Thus, this engine is now the bread and butter of Audi and Porsche.

Here is my concern. I know and have read reports of multiple EA839 engine seizures, and while I want to be an early adopter of the D5 A8, I'm scared. Thus, the reason I'm reaching out on this forum is I would like to know if Audi has identified the issue, and what the TSB number is. I also want to know that when I make my factory order, that this issue will be addressed by then, and if Audi will not disclose or has not identified the issue, then I would like to know that as well, and will wait until it does get resolved.

While I am fortunate enough to pay 6 figures for a flagship car, I didn't get this way by being stupid with my money, so in an attempt to try and not be stupid again, Audi, the ball is in your court. Pls share what you do know, and perhaps you might just get me to buy a D5 A8.

I am rooting for you Audi, please don't let me down.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Eh, I wouldn't worry. Look at the N63 from BMW. It's gone through 3 technical revisions, it's in a lot more vehicles, and they still have occasional catastrophic failures. It' just the nature of complex mass produced items. You're always going to get a small number of failures.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JohnEnglish View Post
    Eh, I wouldn't worry. Look at the N63 from BMW. It's gone through 3 technical revisions, it's in a lot more vehicles, and they still have occasional catastrophic failures. It' just the nature of complex mass produced items. You're always going to get a small number of failures.
    Funny how Mercedes hasn't had a recent issue of mass produced engines with this sort of failure, or carbon intake buildup issues, eh?

AZ Member #

The head bolt issue on the M156 (6.3 AMG) was pretty serious and impacting cars up until a couple of years ago. As far as carbon build up, that was an issue with the earlier Audi DI engines but really isn't a problem with any made in the last few years. Mercedes never had too big of a problem with carbon build up as they were late to the DI game so they learned from everyone else's problems. With DI you'll always have some carbon build up, it's the nature of the beast but it isn't massively problematic like it was previously.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The head bolt issue on the M156 (6.3 AMG) was pretty serious and impacting cars up until a couple of years ago. As far as carbon build up, that was an issue with the earlier Audi DI engines but really isn't a problem with any made in the last few years. Mercedes never had too big of a problem with carbon build up as they were late to the DI game so they learned from everyone else's problems. With DI you'll always have some carbon build up, it's the nature of the beast but it isn't massively problematic like it was previously.
    As I had bolded, mass produced engines are not AMG engines :)

Even the early DI engines from MB had good oil separators which is why they didn't run into any major issues. This issue was not solved by Audi/VW until the EA837 engine that featured the fine/coarse oil separators, and that took wayyy too long.

All car makers have their problem, but with the importance of EA839 with Audi/Porsche, I'd like Audi to address my concerns. I have no issue if Audi comes forward and says...yes, early engines had problems A, B, C, and we've mitigated them but if they play stupid again, I'm not interested in dropping $110K on an A8.

AZ Member #

Be aware of the problems with turbo failures. See TSB #2044640/4.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1946 CJ2A

The new B9 chassis and C8 models use EA888.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ALLROADINGB9 View Post
    The new B9 chassis and C8 models use EA888.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's the 4 cylinder in the A4 and A5. The S4 and S5 use the EA383. The RS4 and RS 5 use the EA389.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

That's the 4 cylinder in the A4 and A5. The S4 and S5 use the EA383. The RS4 and RS 5 use the EA389.
    No.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_S4#B9_powertrain

"The current generation S4 is powered by a 354 brake horsepower (359 PS; 264 kW) 3.0L V6 with petrol direct injection and a single turbo EA839 engine. The engine utilises reverse flow heads, which place the exhaust ports inside the V of the engine; this is a similar arrangement to the twin-turbo V8 engines used in Audi's S6 and S7. "

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HankJ View Post
    Be aware of the problems with turbo failures. See TSB #2044640/4.
    Thanks Hank. Took a read.
    Last edited by vliou; 09-19-2018 at 06:48 AM.